Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That goddamn pregnancy thaaang...

Options
  • 08-09-2010 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭

To cater for people's boredom, its something half interesting to talk about :P Plus Hotaru can let us know if shes lying or not about it ;)

So...what would you do?
    What would your parents do?
    How would you react?
    Are us kiddies allowed talk about this sort of thing here? :eek:

And for the lads, I'm aware ye can't get pregnant :P What if you ever had to have the conversation.."I'm pregnant and its yours" ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'd call the vatican because it would be an immaculate conception

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

1. ABORT MISSION!
    2. When I came out as a lesbian to them, in all seriousness they said 'Why can't you just tell us your pregnant like a normal girl?" so I'd hope well.
    3. I would be distraught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

>_>

Yea, I'm not pregnant :p The world will be saved from mini Hotarus for another while yet...

My worst nightmare would be to get pregnant anytime soon. Don't get me wrong, I want kids, but not for a few years yet. There's no way I could handle it at the moment.

I've always been pro-choice and a few years ago I was certain that I would get an abortion if I got pregnant. Now, I'm not so sure. I would be terrified to get pregnant in the wrong circumstances but if it were to happen to me today, I think I would have the child and give it up for adoption. Why adoption? Because I'd want it to have the best life possible, and I can't provide that for any child anytime soon.

My parents would be distressed - but more out of concern for me I believe. I don't think they'd ban me from the house or anything like that, although I do get regular reminders of the dangers of winding up pregnant >_< I know they'd help me through it, whatever my decision would be.

The thought is terrifying though isn't it? Best case scenario would be not ending up pregnant for many years to come :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I'd rather get a dog to be fair..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I'd freak the fvck out! That'd be way off the weirdness scale...:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Parents are odd creatures. I've seen the best and worst scenarios happen with my friends. One got pregnant at 18 (by a long term and still-with-her-boyfriend), her mother having had her at 17 was not at all phased (neither was my friend) and she had a baby boy a month ago. Happy families etc.

One of my best friends has been told by her parents since she was 13/14 (long before ever actually doing anything) that if she was to get pregnant she would not be allowed back in their house and they did not want to see her again. They're not of any strict religion (just your average Irish Catholics). Sure, they scared her enough so that she'd always be careful and all that, but I'm fairly sure she would have been anyway, and to know that you don't have your own parents support in that sort of situation is horrible...

Mine are somewhere middle of the road, I've been told not to get pregnant! But that if it did happen, I wouldn't be kicked out and they'd support whatever I decided. They've just made sure I know that it'd kinda be messing with my life at the moment.

I'd freak out. I've no idea what I'd do, I'm pro-choice but the damage that abortion can do to your body, as well as killing a child...I dunno. I WILL NOT LET IT HAPPEN :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I'd freak out. I've no idea what I'd do, I'm pro-choice but the damage that abortion can do to your body, as well as killing a child...I dunno. I WILL NOT LET IT HAPPEN :D

Don't want to derail the thread, but seriously, unless you're some nutjob doing a DIY job with a knitting needle, the procedure is straightforward with extremely rare cases of complications. Be anti- or pro- all you like, but don't be misinformed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Don't want to derail the thread, but seriously, unless you're some nutjob doing a DIY job with a knitting needle, the procedure is straightforward with extremely rare cases of complications. Be anti- or pro- all you like, but don't be misinformed.
    Meh, suppose I've just been reading the scare stories and worst case scenarios :rolleyes: Theres also the emotional damage. Still wouldn't be the type of procedure I'd like having done..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Yeah, I thought it was a simple-ish procedure? I always imagined super sluts going in during their lunch breaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

well firsty id freak the fúck out!!

im pro choice but i know myself that if i did chose to have an abortion id probably wouldnt have the heart to go through with it and if i did id probably be guilt ridden for months after or else id give it up for adoption coz i know i couldnt give it the life it deserves i can bearly afford to go to college let alone raise a child!!

as for my parents id say they will freak out and go mental and give me the lecture about responsibilty, see we never talk about that kinda of thing but i know that my sister is 23 and mum is like oh sure theres plenty more time before she starts having babies. but my cousin had a baby when she was like 16 but she got along just fine and hes 12 this year and shes still with the father of him and they just had a little girl a year ago!! but yeah id say they would be very dissapointed with me!!

knowing me id be terrified to tell the parentals id probably wait til the last possible minute before going in to labour :P

hopefully it wont happen til i get out of college at least ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

After that relevent edit, I have to give a serious answer now...
    If my girlfriend did get pregnant, I'm really not sure how I'd react. I still think I'm too immature to handle the responsibility, but I'd try my best do support her in whatever she wanted to do.
    I don't know how my parents would react, not very well I expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lianne10

I am 5 months pregnant and its the best time of myself and partner life:D:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I reall have no clue what I'd do if I found out I was pregnant right now. I know i would definitely be killed at home but I'm starting to think my parents might end up being supportive if not happy about it.

My boyfriends mother however would definitely murder me!

In reality I think I'd have to have an abortion. I know how I want my life to go and a baby at 19/20 will not fit into a year studying abroad, college, all the law exams I'll need, etc. I know adoption is an option but I don't think I'd be able to carry a child for 9 months and be able to let it go afterwards.

I also don't think I'd be able to handle the stress of pregnancy and having a baby. Not the way I am right now

I can have kids in 10 years, right now I just want to be my independent self!

And that is all why I'm on the Pill as well as making sure my boyfriend wears condoms!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

To cater for people's boredom, its something half interesting to talk about :P Plus Hotaru can let us know if shes lying or not about it ;)

D'awwwww, mini-Hotarus. However, that'd mean mini-whatshisfaces, and that doesn't bear thinking about.. :pac:

Anyway, for a serious response:

I don't want kids now, and I'm fairly sure I don't ever want them. I just don't see them as part of my life plans. I think I'd be far too career-oriented to make a child my first priority - and if you have kids, they really do have to be your first priority. I don't mean staying at home, being the housewife - I just mean that I'm fairly sure I'm going to be one of those workaholic types that is pretty much married to her job.

So, if it turned out I was, I'd freak out. I'm anti-abortion for myself (I'd call myself pro-choice these days, that just happens to be the choice I've made for myself, before anyone calls me up on it), so honestly I don't know what I'd do. I couldn't deal with the emotions that would stir. But then again, if you decide to go ahead and have the child, but give it up for adoption, surely that brings up similar feelings? I honestly don't know. I'd just want to avoid the situation as much as possible. You know what actually really annoys me? It's so much easier for men to be allowed to erm.. get themselves "fixed" than it is for women. Of course, I completely understand that it's a more serious procedure, but for a woman to ask for something like that and for the doctor to respond "Come back to me when you've had a few (more) kids" is so unfair. That's the situation as it is in our country, so if I ever wanted to be the closest I could get to being 100% sure of not ever getting pregnant, I'd have to go elsewhere (although maybe it's different if one tried to go private).

As for my parents? They'd go mad, of course they would. They'd never kick me out though. For all their faults, they are supportive and they'd never do that to me. It won't ever be an issue, but it's still nice to know they would be there for me if something like that were to happen.

I'm sure I have a lot more to say on this, so I'll get back to this thread when I think of more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Well, my parents had their first kid when mam was 18/19 allbeit married for almost a year but still.My sister got pregnant at 20 and married the father 2 years after my niece was born,still happily married 5 kids and 15 years later.

Reaction-wise; Firstly, sh*t a brick and then I'd be there for her, I mean it's not me giving birth and all that jazz, it kind of depends on our relationship after that, but the kid always comes first [although I could get on Jeremy kyle :pac:]. My parents would probably disown me for a couple of years and calm down afterwards, they don't think I can mind myself, me caring for another life is laughable I'd say.

What I'd do? Drop out of college and work like ass, no recession excuses or that either, there's alwasy something you can do.A degree would be nice and all, but priorities are different with a kid en-route.If she wanted an abortion, I'd try and pay for it/the travel, it can't be easy mentally/emotionally it's the least I could do and be there after words

Either way,do as much as I could.The whole "I'm pregnant" *Guy runs for the hills* seems so very wrong for me,if you can make a kid at least have the sense to be there and raise it.I mean a little ninja-nerdling would be kind of cool :P

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I had a scare after my 1st time ever. I was 17 at the time and gf 16.
    A couple weeks after we did it she rang me and sounded completely normal.Didnt say anything and after she hung up she sent a text just saying "I'm late".Cue panic stations! :eek:
    Ended up coming to nothing though since it was just her counting wrong (the stupid bint). Cant say I reacted at all rationally though and was freaked out for the next 2 days until she realised her maths.And then she broke up with me cause I wasnt there for her......yay.
    Ever since all that im ridiculously careful and its also possibly contributed to my slight hated of children. Gimme 10 years and ill think about having them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Aoibheann wrote: »
    You know what actually really annoys me? It's so much easier for men to be allowed to erm.. get themselves "fixed"

If you could witness the toe curling that every man will do when reading that, you'd think differently!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

If anything like that were ever to happen, I know my parents would be ok with it. I mean, it'd be far from ideal and I've been told loads of times to please avoid that situation, but I know they'd stand by me and be there for the baby. I'd get a good telling off I'm sure but at the end of the day there's a new life there that's not done anything wrong and I imagine it'd soon become the number one priority, not whether I've been 'bold' or not.

Me, well I really don't think I could have an abortion even though I'd be terrified of the pregnancy, my future and actually having the responsibility of a little life. I can't even kill a fly, let alone have a human child destroyed in my name. I want to go to college, I want to do well, I want to have a good career in whatever I end up heading into but I think all of this is possible with a baby. I suppose I'm lucky in that I know my parents would want this for me and would do whatever they could to make sure I finished my education to the best of my ability, even with a child.

My aunt got pregnant in the 80s, unmarried, which as you can imagine was the furthest from ideal you could have got. Her parents supported her and she finished college (same degree as me) so it can work, even though she had so other stuff going against her besides the whole pregnancy thing. There's always some way of working things I suppose.

I say all this now but I mean there's no knowing really how you'd react until you were in that situation I suppose.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

If you could witness the toe curling that every man will do when reading that, you'd think differently!:P

Lol maybe...

It's also easier for that to be reversed tho. So No I personally don't think differently!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

This event did indeed happen.

Onion: yes?
    Dad: are you going up to Sligo again?
    Onion: yes.
    Dad: Well, I hope you're using protection, because I'm too young and beautiful to be a granddad.
    Onion: GET OUT! GET OUT! OUT OUT OUT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

If it happened to me I'd freak out, wouldn't be able to tell my parents. Never have once spoken to them about that sort of thing unless it was in a joke.

It's not that they'd kick me out or anything just I'd know they'd hate me for it and our relationship would probably never be the same.

Abortion wise? I'd probably go down that route if it came to that right now (which it wont) but it'd still be tough..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Ha! I just mean from a medical point of view, it's seen as a much safer, less invasive procedure. I can imagine it doesn't *sound* any easier! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I don't know what I'd do if I got pregnant now. It's not that I want to finish college or make a success of myself first, in fact I don't particularily want either of those things, but I haven't really lived yet. I think it's more that I want to be a happy, well-funtional person before I add a baby to the mix.
    Also, because I don't really agree with having more than one biological child I'd like to wait till I can really enjoy it and have it with someone I really love.

I don't agree with abortion for the vast majority of circumistances and couldn't go down that road, I just don't see how a life is more important because it's "wanted" or well timed. I love the idea of adoption but as I've said I only want one biological child so it wouldn't make sense to give him/her up. On top of that adoption is very difficult here and Ireland is so small there'd always be the fear of running into them, which would be heartbreaking...so I guess that leaves me with keeping it.

I would dread telling my rents. It's not that they'd be that angry it's just they'd keep going on about how my life was over and how hard everything will be, as opposed to just getting on with things and maybe helping me. Well, in saying that they'd be really angry if I got pregnant now but that's mainly because I'm not in a relationship, I mean if I had a steady boyfriend it's not like having sex would be doing anything wrong.

I super paranoid about getting pregnant though. People don't seem to realise how easily it happens! You don't even need to have sex and so many boys (and girls, but obviously that doesn't affect me so much) don't seem to get that. Girls are the same though, some of my friends are so irresponsible with their pills too sometimes I wonder why they're even on it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Okay so I'd firstly freak the fcuk out.
    I'd be more concious of what my parents thought though and not about myself.

My mam and dad would possibly have a spa attack. Like I wouldn't be surprised if there was fumes coming out of their ears in anger.
    But that would be at the beginning and my mam would get used to it after a while and be there for me. My dad would possibly still be plotting the downfall of the lad at this point still.

Abortion wise, I wouldn't get one. I've debated this topic with fellow boardsies before and I don't care what people say, in my head I'm killing a potential human being! And my parents wouldn't like to see me get one either (i'd say) although they'd abide by my choice if I chose differently.

But yes, I'm hoping none of this will happen to me soon :o
    I love holding babies and playing with them but I don't think I'm quite ready for one yet. *touches wood* (it doesn't happen for a while!)

Yes, I'm only 16 but shur, I wanted to have an input and shur isn't there a programme called 16 and pregnant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I don't know what I'd do. Do the responsible thing I suppose. Abortion raises ethical issues and I wouldn't support her if she opted for it, as heartless as that sounds.

My parents wouldn't like it at all. They'd see me getting a girl pregnant as being their issue and a big 'screw you' so can't imagine things going well after that.

I'd be fairly horrified if I ended up getting a woman pregnant but something tells me the first thing I'd think is "Of course that'd fecking happen". Me and risk-taking behaviour such as a bit of intercourse doesn't often lead to great results regardless of how little risk there seems to be. I'd practically expect it. Now that I think about I better not be doing that whole sex thing out of great irrational fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

So...what would you do?

Freak the fúck out, tell father of baby, then hop on the cheapest boat/plane to the cheapest country to have an abortion.
    What would your parents do?
    Nothing, because I wouldn't tell them. I know they'd support me no matter what my choice, but they're both anti-abortion and I know they'd think less of me, even though they'd still love me.
    How would you react?
    Panic but then go into rational mode and start immediately booking flights/clinics
    Are us kiddies allowed talk about this sort of thing here? :eek:

Go for it, at least it might get people thinking what they'd do if the situation arose so they might be more mentally prepared if it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Unsure what'd happen. A bit surreal I think...

While I'm sure a sproglet (my term for baby) would be a delightful little creature, now is really not the time. While I'm sure my parents would be delighted that I'm getting some, overall they would not be overly impressed I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Well... okay. It's not technically possible for me to be told that. So let's assume I made the wrong choice a few months ago, and all of this suddenly became all too possible.
    I'd panic. That basically describes everything. I'd lose pretty much all sanity. Too pissed off with myself that I let such a thing happen, that I made a foolish choice and now the consequences caught up with me. That I was given all these responsibilities that I didn't want. That I couldn't handle.
    Ultimately I'd try to convince her to either abort or put the child up for adoption. I can't be a parent. I'm not ready to do that. I'd have to probably put away my ambitions and dreams to care for a child which I honestly never wanted. It sounds harsh, I know. If I was in a situation where I had to be a father for a child, I would. But I feel that the child should have either a better future, or.. none. I don't know. I'm seriously not sure what my opinions on abortion are.
    I mean, I'm pro-choice, but if this situation ever emerged, I don't know what my choice would be. I guess I'd put it all down to the girl, and what she chooses. I would support her either way. But I'd rather not live as a parent. Not now. Not for another ten years. At least.

My parents? I don't know. My parents would be disappointed to say the least. They don't think I'm the son that would go out and have sex at the age of fifteen, they don't think I'd betray their trust, their teachings, every good wish they had for me to live my life normally. I'd have been the total opposite to what they wanted me to be. They'd shout. They'd scream. They'd probably cry. They'd support me in the end, but it'd be the end of our good relations. My family life would be shattered. I don't know if I could look my parents, my cousins, my grandparents in the eye after an event like that.

And then I'd lose the respect of my friends. I'd lose everything and everyone I ever hoped to be in my future, all I'd have is some girl, and a child I never wanted.

So that's another reason why I said "no" a few months ago, and left this crazy possible future behind. It can't happen. It won't happen. And if something like this ever happens, then goddamn it, then I'll have failed at life.

(great thread btw, really got me thinking...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Colm! wrote: »
    Well... okay. It's not technically possible for me to be told that. So let's assume I made the wrong choice a few months ago, and all of this suddenly became all too possible.

You were a woman a few months ago? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

If I got told that news, I'd like to think she'd think similar to me and want to get an abortion (although since I don't currently have a gf I can't run that question by her now)

I don't want a child in my life now or for the foreseeable future. If she did decide to keep the kid, sure I'll support you financially but I won't be showing up at birthdays and the like.

Advertisement