Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That goddamn pregnancy thaaang...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Nope, we haven't got that far yet, she's only on about sperm getting into the wimmins so far, and how long it lasts in there/even if its outside the vagina women can still get pregnant, etc!
    Uh.... I see one small flaw with that :pac:
    MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Only having one child is daft. Selfish even. Just think about when you get old, all the responsibility will be left on one child, with no siblings. Secondly, the world is no where near overflow point, Ireland certainly aint.
    You'd be more of a fan of years back, when having massive families (10+) that would look after you when you got old was the norm? If anything, that was more selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

They are not ALLOWED in China.

For the craic, is it? No government, no matter how despotic, eccentric or naive, would introduce a one-child policy without good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Uh.... I see one small flaw with that :pac:

You'd be more of a fan of years back, when having massive families (10+) that would look after you when you got old was the norm? If anything, that was more selfish.

Yano what I mean though..? :pac:

For the craic, is it? No government, no matter how despotic, eccentric or naive, would introduce a one-child policy without good reason.

You'd be surprised when it comes to communism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Its up to each couple to decide how many children they want. I don't think its selfish to just have 1 child, its not like they'll lack in social skills if they go to school and live around other kids. I like the relationship I have with my siblings so I would like to have a few kids, eventually, but not in the foreseeable future :P

I think its more wrong to have 8 or 9 kids if financially you can't support them properly, or if you're thinking of who'll look after you when you're old. You can't have children with that thought in mind! The child itself may be incapable of taking care of you when you're older, so you really have to think about that yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

*comments on every sexist, racist or religious law ever put into place by any government ever*

Or is there something in particular about the one-child policy that makes it immune to idiotic governments?

He should consider himself lucky to be getting some, and not give a frick what he has to wear! :P

Just to note, I shall never, ever, wear one of these. Getting some or not, there be limits!!

bunny-suit1.jpg
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Well the reason wasn't (or at least isn't today) that they wanted everyone to have only one child. That would be too insane even for them to consider given that it'd lead to a total collapse of society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

No, not at all. Familys were that big because there were no condoms etc. I would hate to be the only one to look after my parents. It is a lot of responsibility. I look at all my aunts and uncles had to do with their parents, my mother would never have been able to do that on her own.

Well the reason wasn't (or at least isn't today) that they wanted everyone to have only one child. That would be too insane even for them to consider given that it'd lead to a total collapse of society.

How, exactly? The population of china is MASSIVE, and that's what stopping it going wildly out of control.

• Advertisement

No, not at all. Familys were that big because there were no condoms etc. I would hate to be the only one to look after my parents. It is a lot of responsibility. I look at all my aunts and uncles had to do with their parents, my mother would never have been able to do that on her own.

We may be talking about slightly different eras....

We may be talking about slightly different eras....
    Probably. My parents are 50 if that clears it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

Pygmalion wrote: »
    *comments on every sexist, racist or religious law ever put into place by any government ever*

Or is there something in particular about the one-child policy that makes it immune to idiotic governments?

Good point. I didn't mention it in my original post about overcrowding, but since it's been brought up I honestly can't see why, apart from overcrowding and under-resourcing, anyone would want to put such a law in place though. I suppose my point is that it's not immediately applicable to idiots, so it's probably meant to be for the common good, even if it is a bit crazy. Could there be an ulterior motive behind it?:confused:

How, exactly? The population of china is MASSIVE, and that's what stopping it going wildly out of control.

If each person only had 1 child then eventually the number of dependants (old people) would be far greater than the number of workers. At first the workers could be taxed heavily to support them which would have disastrous effects for an economy. But eventually if the workforce shrank further it'd become impossible for them to support everyone.

edit: of course if you were a totalitarian government like in China you could just decide to let old people starve from day one thus avoiding any of those nasty economic side-effects.

Well there is no overcrowding in Ireland anyways.

Except hospitals.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What was the original topic in here again..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

If each person only had 1 child then eventually the number of dependants (old people) would be far greater than the number of workers. At first the workers could be taxed heavily to support them which would have disastrous effects for an economy. But eventually if the workforce shrank further it'd become impossible for them to support everyone.

edit: of course if you were a totalitarian government like in China you could just decide to let old people starve from day one thus avoiding any of those nasty economic side-effects.
    The answer to that is to raise the retirement age. I'm unsure how long the life expectancy in China is, either. If it's say, 70, and retirement age is 65, then you've only got an average of 5 years as a dependant old person. Given that working life in this case is around 45 years, it's safe to say that dependants would NEVER exceed workers. Even if life expectancy is 75, the same argument applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Who cares? The new one is a fun and interesting discussion.

Sure, anything baby related. Tis all interesting :D

Situation:

The condom breaks.

What would YOU do?

• Advertisement

Situation:

The condom breaks.

What would YOU do?

Morning after pill unless already on the pill. Wouldn't see any other option?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

My friend was saying how they were all brought up in front of the class one by one to put a condom on a banana (girls and boys) and how it was embarrassing but at least they know how to do it :p
    I've done the rubber banana sessions as a youth worker, as I probably told you before. Probably easier outside a classroom setting, but feck it, a little embarrassment is a small price to pay compared to the alternative.
    Quick question to any teachers here:
    Is sex ed any different (that is, any better) in VECs, or any other non-Catholic secondary school?
    Not a teacher, but I don't think it's *always* along the religious school divide, often down to principal / staff / BOM. We got a quite good Sex Ed programme in a co-ed RC secondary school, with a nun as principal ... the lads in the Tech down the road got SFA, and listened open-mouthed to reports of some of the discussions / sessions we had.
    Just to note, I shall never, ever, wear one of these. Getting some or not, there be limits!!

bunny-suit1.jpg
    :pac:
    Black halter-tops, though ... ? :pac:
    :D

Convo is still revolving around pregnancy, though ... if in some odd ways!

The answer to that is to raise the retirement age. I'm unsure how long the life expectancy in China is, either. If it's say, 70, and retirement age is 65, then you've only got an average of 5 years as a dependant old person. Given that working life in this case is around 45 years, it's safe to say that dependants would NEVER exceed workers. Even if life expectancy is 75, the same argument applies.

Well I was thinking more of in the future where life expectancies are set to increase up to the mid 80's. Raising the retirement age to 70 would work though. There'd still be the absolutely enormous costs and the tax burden would be incredible.

Morning after pill unless already on the pill. Wouldn't see any other option?
    I would run around going "Oh ma gawd!" then get 50 quid from somwhere for the docs. What happens if its say a saturday night on a bank holiday weekend and the GP is shut? What then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I would run around going "Oh ma gawd!" then get 50 quid from somwhere for the docs. What happens if its say a saturday night on a bank holiday weekend and the GP is shut? What then?

The morning after pill works as much as 72 hours after sex.

Hotaru wrote: »
    The morning after pill works as much as 72 hours after sex.
    Yes but its chances of working lessen the longer you wait dont they?

I've done the rubber banana sessions as a youth worker, as I probably told you before. Probably easier outside a classroom setting, but feck it, a little embarrassment is a small price to pay compared to the alternative.

Would you say a lot of the teenagers you worked with were ignorant of such things before you taught them?

There are usually on-call doctors available, if necessary a sexual health clinic or hospital. They should definitely be available over the counter though, as long as the chemist made sure to tell each person exactly what to do with it. There should be a record taken every time you tried to get one (its been ages since I saw this but theres only a certain amount of times you can take it per month/year), and some advice given at the same time about other, more practical, methods of contraception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

What I'd do? Drop out of college and work like ass, no recession excuses or that either, there's alwasy something you can do.A degree would be nice and all, but priorities are different with a kid en-route.If she wanted an abortion, I'd try and pay for it/the travel, it can't be easy mentally/emotionally it's the least I could do and be there after words

Either way,do as much as I could.The whole "I'm pregnant" *Guy runs for the hills* seems so very wrong for me,if you can make a kid at least have the sense to be there and raise it.I mean a little ninja-nerdling would be kind of cool :P

Wow. That's a really great attitude to have. I could never do all that.

Thankfully, the chances of me ever getting a girl pregnant are slim to none but if I'm being totally honest (and I'm not proud of this, but this is just the way I am) I would be one of those "run for the hills" deadbeat Dads. It would obviously be 100% up to her if she wanted to keep the baby or not, but I would probably do everything I could to encourage her to either give it up for adoption or, if she didn't want to do that, have an abortion. If she did decide to keep the child, I would provide for her financially as much as possible but I don't think I could commit myself to anything else. I certainly could never be a good father to that child. Again, not proud of it, but I'm just being honest here.

I never want children. I would be an awful father and would end up resenting any child I would ever have. I want to get my degree, get a good job, travel the world and live life to the full. Being a parent would ruin all that for me. If I found out in the morning that I was infertile, I honestly would not care.

So yeah......no pregnancy plz. kthnxbai.

• Advertisement

There are usually on-call doctors available, if necessary a sexual health clinic or hospital. They should definitely be available over the counter though, as long as the chemist made sure to tell each person exactly what to do with it. There should be a record taken every time you tried to get one (its been ages since I saw this but theres only a certain amount of times you can take it per month/year), and some advice given at the same time about other, more practical, methods of contraception.
    What? Head on up to A&E?

Advertisement