Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That goddamn pregnancy thaaang...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

If I got a girl pregnant, I'd much rather that the child was born. By much rather, I mean getting an abortion would be bad. Having a child is not the end of the world. These things can, and do, work out. Obviously, it's not the most ideal situation to be in, to have a child when you're so young, but it's not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Would people (either guys or girls) have a chat about something like this with a girlfriend/boyfriend at some stage, or would it be more of a "lets deal with that if it happens" thing?
    not specifically, if it came up [sorta like we drifted into it here] I'd discuss it.But something that personal/views on such could sort of be a deal breaker relationship-wise

I think someone mentioned it here earlier[Chin?] that there was a pregnancy scare and they were dumped because of their reaction, IMO it's not a side of someone you want to see unless you're planning on going there.

Summary; shur feck it,I'm 18 I'll think about it later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

not specifically, if it came up [sorta like we drifted into it here] I'd discuss it.But something that personal/views on such could sort of be a deal breaker relationship-wise

I think someone mentioned it here earlier[Chin?] that there was a pregnancy scare and they were dumped because of their reaction, IMO it's not a side of someone you want to see unless you're planning on going there.

Summary; shur feck it,I'm 18 I'll think about it later

Ya its definitely a very sensitive thing to bring up in a relationship. Not sure if its best to talk about it hypothetically beforehand, but then you could end up being pregnant and only finding out then that your partner wants you 100% to have an abortion, whether that was what you wanted or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Would people (either guys or girls) have a chat about something like this with a girlfriend/boyfriend at some stage, or would it be more of a "lets deal with that if it happens" thing?

I don't know if I'd have a chat as in, "Hey, how do you feel about abortion?" but I mean, I've had contraception chats and I suppose the only position I've ever been in in my life was one where having a baby was less than ideal and to be prevented anyway. I wouldn't be put off a guy though if he said he didn't want children at this point in his life and would favour an abortion should anything happen. I don't want a child right now either, and while I wouldn't have an abortion, I am very meticulous with taking my Pill etc., so it's kind of a non-issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

It's not something me and my girlfriend have discussed, but I reckon she'd agree with me on the morals of it. I suspect abortion is not an option she'd even consider.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I don't think I'd ever bring it up with a boyfriend unless we were in a very serious relationship. I'd be terrified he'd think I did want someting serious or was going to get "accidently" pregnant and just wanted to know how he'd react.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'd bring it up, but more in a "if I get pregnant, this is what's happening, end of" kind of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

If my girlfriend got pregnant, I would be completely screwed. I simply don't think I'm capable of being a father right now. That being said, if she did decide to keep the baby, I would do my best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

I'd imagine it'd be like ''Mam, Dad....Look ok a few weeks ago I seen the film Junior (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110216/), ya know, the one where Arnold Schwarzenegger gets pregnant?......eh...yeah well after seeing that I kinda experimented in the biology lab in school at break, and well, one thing led to another!''

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

You mean Virgin Birth. Immaculate conception refers to Mary, "Oh Mary conceived without sin..." You know, immaculate = clean.

15 thanks? I thought religion was taught in schools. :p
    But it would be clean because I've been a very good girl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

I have always thought that I would never have an abortion , ever. I always said if I got pregnant nevermind the situation I was in at the time I would have the baby. Then came a pregnancy scare. When it crossed my mind I may actually be pregnant the thought of keeping the child seemed like an impossibilty. The first thing that ran through my head was abortion and what it would be like having one etc and when I realised what I was thinking about I felt physically sick and disgusted. Maybe it was just panic and fear but I don't think anyone really can be positive about what they would do if they or their girlfriend became pregnant unless they are in the situation. That is just my opinion anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I have always thought that I would never have an abortion , ever. I always said if I got pregnant nevermind the situation I was in at the time I would have the baby. Then came a pregnancy scare. When it crossed my mind I may actually be pregnant the thought of keeping the child seemed like an impossibilty. The first thing that ran through my head was abortion and what it would be like having one etc and when I realised what I was thinking about I felt physically sick and disgusted. Maybe it was just panic and fear but I don't think anyone really can be positive about what they would do if they or their girlfriend became pregnant unless they are in the situation. That is just my opinion anyways.

I completely agree with you. I could say, I'd never have an abortion, I'd keep it, I'd put it up for adoption. But no matter what I feel now, I'm not in that situation, and I really don't know how I'd react unless I end up in that situation. I think it's kind of like, if you saw someone being robbed on the street, would you walk by, or would you stop and help, no matter what you say, when faced with the situation, you might be surprised with your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭OopsyDaisy

I'm very sorry to interupt, but I never knew you were a girl ihavequestions?!

Sorry :o

Also, I suppose it's time I said something in here :P

I've no idea what I'd do, and I don't think I'd fully know until it happened, which I really hope it doesn't till I'm ready. Which won't be for a very very very very long time :P

Uhm, suppose that's my say. Sorry it isn't full of passion or interesting whatsoever :P

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

OopsyDaisy wrote: »
    I'm very sorry to interupt, but I never knew you were a girl ihavequestions?!

Haha.... sure am :)
    I come accross as a boy!!?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Personally, I don't think I could have an abortion, I know I'm not in that situation now but I really don't think I could. I might think about it but I don't think I could actually go through with it. I've always thought that if I did get pregnant I would give it up for adoption so the baby would grow up with a family who loves it and is ready. But I really doubt I would be able to, I could have something and bond with it for 9 months and then give it up. I'd say if it really did happen, I would probably move home and my parents would help me, they would be disappointed, but not in me, they know I'm responsible and have taken all the precautions, except for the not having sex one. They would just be disappointed as its not the life they wanted for me but they would support any decision I made because I really do have fairly awesome parents. I would try and continue in college and still achieve everything I want. I've really thought this through too much

Oh. There don't seem to be many people here who do think abortion's OK.

*backs off slowly*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Oh. There don't seem to be many people here who do think abortion's OK.

*backs off slowly*

There's no need to "back off" - everyone's entitled to their opinion, regardless what side of the argument they fall on. :)

I have no problem with abortion, but a lot of people who are "anti-abortion" are also "pro-choice" (someone who disapproves of abortion and would never have one themselves but still supports the right of a woman who does wish to have an abortion to have one.)

Abortion is never an easy decision. No-one actively wants to have abortions; I doubt there are many women who have one without thinking about their options very carefully first.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

There's no need to "back off" - everyone's entitled to their opinion, regardless what side of the argument they fall on. :)

I have no problem with abortion, but a lot of people who are "anti-abortion" are also "pro-choice" (someone who disapproves of abortion and would never have one themselves but still supports the right of a woman who does wish to have an abortion to have one.)

Abortion is never an easy decision. No-one actively wants to have abortions; I doubt there are many women who have one without thinking about their options very carefully first.

Agreed, I would never get an abortion myself and personally would be very anti-abortion but I would be pro choice. So long as the woman can choose and is properly informed of every choice and the possible consequences

I wonder if many women change their minds during pregnancy about abortion. I mean, I wonder if, with all the hormones and the motherhood preparation going on inside their bodies, women are statistically less likely to say they'd have an abortion once they've become pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Deedeecupcake

Totally dragging back up an old thread, but I'm bored so deal with it :P

This is such an interesting topic and like a couple of other posters has been discussed in religion class a lot. It really is hard to know what you actually would until you're in the situation. Had a scare a while back, was frankly the scariest thing EVER! I am pro-choice but personally I don't think I could ever do it. IMO a child is a gift :) However, a child at 18 isn't the best gift ever. I really thought my boyfriend would freak, but in the end it was him who ended up keeping me calm and reassuring me it wasn't the end of the world. We were both decided that if there was a baby we'd keep it. He drop outta his course and I'd finish school somehow...

As for my parents, thats tricky. I was a teenage baby and as such if they ever had a problem with me becoming pregnant they'd be fairly big hypocrites. Tbh, I think my mother would be practically and support me whilst my dad would freak out. I don't think I'd be on my own, hard to know though 'cos it's not something we've ever discussed bar me being told to live my life first. I guess they don't want me making the same mistakes they did..

How would I feel? Petrified. I have my whole life planned out and a baby doesn't enter the equation for another 7 years! I can just about look after myself, having to become a mother is scary!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

So today brought interesting news in that Boots are, from Wednesday, going to supply the morning-after pill over the counter (source here). What do you all think? Does it just turn the MAP into a regular contraceptive, as opposed to an emergency back-up? Is it now too easy to get, or do you think that it's a better way, rather than having to deal with a potential scolding (from what I've heard anyway) from your GP? Do you think it should be so freely available, or should it remain as before?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I don't know if this ties in with this thread or not - mods feel free to split it - but what's everyones opinion on the age of consent? Is 17 right or should it be different? Should there be one at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Aoibheann wrote: »
    So today brought interesting news in that Boots are, from Wednesday, going to supply the morning-after pill over the counter (source here). What do you all think? Does it just turn the MAP into a regular contraceptive, as opposed to an emergency back-up? Is it now too easy to get, or do you think that it's a better way, rather than having to deal with a potential scolding (from what I've heard anyway) from your GP? Do you think it should be so freely available, or should it remain as before?

I think if the proper information is given about it, its a good idea, but with the state of sex ed in the country the chances are a lot of people don't realise its exact use and conditions of use. I think its necessary to have it over the counter, with the price of a gp visit as well as having to make an appointment (and thats if the gps is open at all) a lot of people could be put off so its safer to have easier access to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Well I've never seen any emergency contraceptive pill that works within 72 hours as being that much different from any other type of contraceptive. I know a lot of people draw a big distinction between ECP and say condoms, but they both carry out the same function; stopping fertilization, and yet they don't make people get a prescription for condoms.

The more hardcore pills that work weeks into pregnancy like RU486, those should always require a prescription, but the 72 hour ECP I have no problem with being sold over the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Think it's probs for the best, unless you're a right gombeen altogether, the morning-after pill is generally used in a fairly panicky situation. I think having a scare is lesson enough. :pac:

It still remains an emergency back-up though, doesn't it have fairly shíte side-effects? Also, AFAIK, it's level of success isn't as high as the condom or the pill. And ain't it fairly expensive?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Lawliet wrote: »
    Well I've never seen any emergency contraceptive pill that works within 72 hours as being that much different from any other type of contraceptive. I know a lot of people draw a big distinction between ECP and say condoms, but they both carry out the same function; stopping fertilization, and yet they don't make people get a prescription for condoms.

The more hardcore pills that work weeks into pregnancy like RU486, those should always require a prescription, but the 72 hour ECP I have no problem with being sold over the counter.

But condoms don't involve you putting chemicals in your body. The ECP does. you're also more likely to have an adverse reaction to the ECP

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I don't know if this ties in with this thread or not - mods feel free to split it - but what's everyones opinion on the age of consent? Is 17 right or should it be different? Should there be one at all?

Might be time to bump up this thread again: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055462060&page=21

But condoms don't involve you putting chemicals in your body. The ECP does. you're also more likely to have an adverse reaction to the ECP
    People can have readverse actions to any over the counter drug, including paracetamol which can be bought in practically any shop.

Besides drugs are kept prescription only, not necessarily because they're more harmful or have a higher risk of causing a reaction than OTC drugs, but to stop people from self prescribing and self medicating. Thinking you may be pregnant and wanting emergency contraception is not a medical condition that requires a doctors opinion on how to treat.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Lawliet wrote: »
    People can have readverse actions to any over the counter drug, including paracetamol which can be bought in practically any shop.

Besides drugs are kept prescription only, not necessarily because they're more harmful or have a higher risk of causing a reaction than OTC drugs, but to stop people from self prescribing and self medicating. Thinking you may be pregnant and wanting emergency contraception is not a medical condition that requires a doctors opinion on how to treat.

I was only giving the differences between condoms and the ECP and why you need to be more careful with the latter

• Advertisement

I was only giving the differences between condoms and the ECP and why you need to be more careful with the latter
    Obviously I realize there's a difference, I only brought up condoms because I suspect ECP have been prescription only for so long because of ethical controversies -people see it as a form of abortion, which it is not. Technically it does the same thing as a condom -stops the sperm from fusing with the egg.

Advertisement