Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That goddamn pregnancy thaaang...

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Aoibheann wrote: »
    So today brought interesting news in that Boots are, from Wednesday, going to supply the morning-after pill over the counter (source here). What do you all think? Does it just turn the MAP into a regular contraceptive, as opposed to an emergency back-up? Is it now too easy to get, or do you think that it's a better way, rather than having to deal with a potential scolding (from what I've heard anyway) from your GP? Do you think it should be so freely available, or should it remain as before?

I think it's way better. Say for example, you needed it after a Friday or Saturday night, and it was a bank holiday you would have to wait until Tuesday to get it, thus hugely reducing the likelihood of it working.

I think an important part to point out from that article is this bit:
    The morning-after pill will be provided after consultation with the pharmacist in a private consultation room.

So it's not just as simple as it is going up and asking for a packet of paracetamol. You've to have a consultation, before hand where I'm assuming everything would be properly explained to you.
    jumpguy wrote: »
    Think it's probs for the best, unless you're a right gombeen altogether, the morning-after pill is generally used in a fairly panicky situation. I think having a scare is lesson enough. :pac:

It still remains an emergency back-up though, doesn't it have fairly shíte side-effects? Also, AFAIK, it's level of success isn't as high as the condom or the pill. And ain't it fairly expensive?

As someone who has had to get the morning after pill on one occasion, not due to my own stupidity. It's not pleasant. It can make you sick, and if it does you have to get another one, as with all pills, it doesn't work if you're sick. I don't think anybody who has needed to take it or has taken it would want to do so on a regular basis. Condoms/the pill work out much cheaper.

They are quite expensive, about €17 in a chemist, €20 or so direct from your doctor, so at the moment with doctors fees on top of that it's about €80. An unnecessarily high fee imo.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

In brief, my opinion on this, as copied and pasted from a conversation on MSN:

I'm tentatively in favour of it, but I'd like to read the official guidelines Boots will be following before I make my mind up.
    With a price of €45, it should be somewhat prohibitive.
    I'd hope that Boots would have some sort of database to prevent people from using it frequently.
    I'd be very surprised if the PPS wasn't required. Like I said, I'm very interested in finding out what their guidelines dictate.

I'll give this a bit more attention in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I find it extremely unlikely that they will operate a database system. Whatever about the ethical issues of keeping a record of your customer's medications (although I wonder they know of it through the Advantage Card system?), if they do it for the MAP then they have to do it for all OTC medications. Solpadeine is open to far more abuse than the MAP. I think a consultation to explain the MAP fully to the customer is enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Piste wrote: »
    I find it extremely unlikely that they will operate a database system. Whatever about the ethical issues of keeping a record of your customer's medications (although I wonder they know of it through the Advantage Card system?), if they do it for the MAP then they have to do it for all OTC medications. Solpadeine is open to far more abuse than the MAP. I think a consultation to explain the MAP fully to the customer is enough.
    IIRC they don't ask for your Advantage Card when you pay for prescriptions in Boots, so I think you're right in saying that they won't keep a database of who took the MAP and when.

Personally I think it is great that it is now available to buy over the counter. And naive as it may sound, I don't think it will cause people to abuse the MAP - I really don't think that people would think it was a better type of contraception than the regular pill/condoms etc. First of all, the MAP at €45 is a lot more expensive than any of these, and the fact that you have to have a consultation with the pharmacist also makes this point redundant.

With regards the thread topic in general, I am most definitely pro-choice. As in if I found out I was pregnant tomorrow (as unlikely as that is to happen :P) I think I would have an abortion. Obviously I would have to take the father's opinion into account too, but if it was a case that it was purely my decision because it was after a drunken one night stand or something, I think I would be "getting the boat" as my mum does put it. I really don't think I'd be able to cope with a baby right now :/ But then again, I don't know. Maybe if I found out I was pregnant I'd look at it differently?

I think women in this country should have the right to decide what they think is best for themselves. And if that means having an abortion, who has the right to tell them that they can't? I don't see why the government, the Catholic Church, or groups like Cóír should have a say in what I do with my body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I think it's great news that the EC is available over the counter though I think it's such a shame that it's for 18+ only and only available in Boots. That's fine if you're in Dublin or somewhere decent but when I'm at home my nearest boots is about an hour away.

I don't she why it shouldn't be OTC. I mean at €45 a pop I can't imagine people using it as regular contraception. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that aside from nausea etc. the side-effects aren't any different than not "taking a break" from your normal pill, which people do all the time and it's prescription only.

But yeah, I don't really know much about it tbh but I am definitely in favour of it. I have to be honest, however stupid it sounds, having to go to the doctor would put me off getting it if I ever needed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Two friends of mine had the bad luck to have a comdom break two days ago. Boots wasn't supplying the ECP yet, which made the trip to the doctor all the more annoying. Hoping it works out ok for them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Two friends of mine had the bad luck to have a comdom break two days ago. Boots wasn't supplying the ECP yet, which made the trip to the doctor all the more annoying. Hoping it works out ok for them :(

I had to go to the doctor with a friend for this very reason and he was so ignorant to her! he was looking at her as if she'd been sleeping around. 50 quid for a few dirty looks? Joke.

Advertisement