Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journey through Europe

Options
  • 08-09-2010 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello everyone.

Ideas for base vehicle for camper conversion to travel around Europe for approx 1 year?

Requirements: Space for 2 adults & all necessary fixtures and fittings.
    Needs to reliable.

Thanks,
    Noholes:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Whats the Budget?

If I was to live in a van for a year I'd want a fixed double bed, standing height, spacious shower/bathroom, large water and waste tanks and large gas bottle, diesel or gas heating. So you're looking at a high roof lwb or xlwb van. Of course you can survive on a lot less but it wears on you.

The ducato/relay/boxer is a popular choice because of:

The width - by bringing the bed out to the side panels you can get 6'3" across the van including insulation.
    Height - even with insulation in the floor and ceiling you'll have over the 180cm required for vrt.
    Dash mounted gearlever means nothing in the way tavelling from back of van to front and is ideal for swivel seats. Make sure you get crash tested swivels I recommend the fasp one they will be much stronger than your seat frame.
    Drives like a car, parts are relatively cheap and the 2.5 and 2.8 engines go on forever when properly maintained.
    Pre 2002 models rust quite badly in the sill if the drains aren't looked after. Rust is not structural generally though so can be repaired anyway you like. 2002 onwards models are galvanised so not so bad for tinworm.

Be very wary of the newer model ducato read the gearbox thread on the motorhomefacts.com forum before making any decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Noholes

Thanks for reply paddyp.

The plan would be to purchase the vehicle and then gradually buy the fittings as needed. Sort of a medium term project. So the budget is not too rigid, however i would hope to get a good vehicle for €6000 or less.

I had thoughts of a Mercedes 814 bus, 26 seater or so, or a Luton box van of sorts; what you think?

Also do you know what the size/length difference between a mercedes xlwb and a 814 would be?

Thanks,

Noholes wrote: »
    Thanks for reply paddyp.

The plan would be to purchase the vehicle and then gradually buy the fittings as needed. Sort of a medium term project. So the budget is not too rigid, however i would hope to get a good vehicle for €6000 or less.

I had thoughts of a Mercedes 814 bus, 26 seater or so, or a Luton box van of sorts; what you think?

Also do you know what the size/length difference between a mercedes xlwb and a 814 would be?

Thanks,

Have you got the driving licence to drive something that size?

Thing about a luton box van is you won't be carrying any passengers in the back the framework wouldn't protect you in a crash. Also for vrt in ireland there must be passage from the back to the front which really reduces the number of lutons vehicles to choose from. You could look for a luton amulance they pop up occasionally on wilsons auctions in the north some with very low mileage ex government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Noholes

Hey, what about a Mercedes 814 vario van?

The 814 is probably 7.5 ton gvw or more, have you got the licence to drive that? Also expect 18-20 mpg and less at motorway speeds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement