Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH comment thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Eh the thread you linked to is still there.

Edit: Actually it's not. Apologise, I'm an idiot. No idea why it's gone being perfectly honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Sorry, I see this issue in Helpdesk forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Like I asked elsewhere cos discussion is not possible on helpdesk.

Why was the thread moved?
    Why was it moved with out inforuming the mods of the forum?
    Why wasn't those who were out of turn not given out too?
    Why where posts not reported?

Why wasn't it moved to feedback?
    Why on earth was the original made announcement?
    That makes no sense announcements surely should only be used for important stuff and there is no way to interact if it is an announcement.

If more of this is to be done why isn't there a "Boards talks to" forum?
    That way announcements can be made in the forums where there is a connection to the the topic but the threads asking for questions can be done and then the interview and feedback on it.

Very vague reply Darragh. A thread about a boards.ie promo video for a new album is deleted without trace once the comments turn negative.. disappointing.

BTW I don't have access to reply on help-desk thread.

• Advertisement

Why was Eleanor McEvoy's name removed from this threads title???? This is getting ridiculous

Hiya

From time to time we get threads that are just not permissible on Boards.ie - they are defamatory, they are abusive, they contain misinformation, they are incendiary, they are against the site guidelines.

When we - in the office - get told about these, we make a decision to remove them or not. Actually, I say "we" and I mean "I make", though I will normally tell the team what I'm up to.

The thread in question was moved because it was abusive and contained inappropriate allegations against the person who came into Boards.ie, of their own free time, to do something different for the site. When I was informed of the thread by an outside source, I moved it.

Would anyone like to deal with the legal aspects of such allegations, for one thing?

Banning/infracting etc would just have given more fuel to it, more notice to what was being discussed, and, from our end, is just completely messy. The last thing I want to see in the newspapers is "Person x sues Boards.ie for ..." - it's my job to protect the site against such matters.

As for informing the moderators - sorry, my bad, just in the middle of a big project here and had it on my to-do list.

Announcements are there for things that we think are appropriate to bring to the community. If the community disagrees, so be it, but everyone can interact on that thread...

The Boards.ie talk to forum (or a "channel" maybe) has been discussed before and if we can get to do it, we will. It's a matter of resource.
    A thread about a boards.ie promo video is deleted without trace once the comments turn negative.. .

Sorry, will point out, it's not the negativity, it's the allegations and the abuse that got it removed. Simple as that :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

the thread very quickly descended into all sorts of allegations and we are not a platform for abuse of any description.
    Re-reading... That's not really true to be fair. A post or two out of line which would have been dealt with but there aint much I can do 'bout it now.

Why was Eleanor McEvoy's name removed from this threads title???? This is getting ridiculous

Because I don't want this appearing in Google as if it's an issue caused by her, when it's not.

Re-reading... That's not really true to be fair. A post or two out of line which would have been dealt with but there aint much I can do 'bout it now.

My apologies.

• Advertisement

Darragh wrote: »
    Because I don't want this appearing in Google as if it's an issue caused by her, when it's not.

Messageboard site promotes album on home page, then removes all comments, then removes artists name from comments about the removal... was part of the deal to get her in that no negative comment would be permitted?

BTW I have no issue with the promo, just the big brother censorship approach is very unsettling

No.
    the big brother censorship approach is very unsettling

I could link you to the AH charter, the site guidelines, the rules and the Terms of Use, but really, would it make a difference?

Inappropriate allegations were made. We don't allow abuse on Boards.ie.

I could link you to the AH charter, the site guidelines, the rules and the Terms of Use, but really, would it make a difference?

Inappropriate allegations were made. We don't allow abuse on Boards.ie.

Can you link me to the charter/guidelines that informed your decision to remove Eleanor McEvoy name from this thread in feedback? Somebody googles her and they get the promo video and the fact that discussion on the video was removed, who's going to take legal action about that?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The thread in question was moved because it was abusive and contained inappropriate allegations against the person who came into Boards.ie, of their own free time, to do something different for the site.

Come on Darragh, it's one thing helping to promote an artist in a tit-for-tat arrangement, but it's an insult to everyone's intellifence to make out that the artist in question was doing boards.ie a favour out of the goodness of her heart when that announcement was plainly and simply an ad for her album.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hiya

From time to time we get threads that are just not permissible on Boards.ie - they are defamatory, they are abusive, they contain misinformation, they are incendiary, they are against the site guidelines.

When we - in the office - get told about these, we make a decision to remove them or not. Actually, I say "we" and I mean "I make", though I will normally tell the team what I'm up to.

The thread in question was moved because it was abusive and contained inappropriate allegations against the person who came into Boards.ie, of their own free time, to do something different for the site. When I was informed of the thread by an outside source, I moved it.

Would anyone like to deal with the legal aspects of such allegations, for one thing?

Banning/infracting etc would just have given more fuel to it, more notice to what was being discussed, and, from our end, is just completely messy. The last thing I want to see in the newspapers is "Person x sues Boards.ie for ..." - it's my job to protect the site against such matters.

As for informing the moderators - sorry, my bad, just in the middle of a big project here and had it on my to-do list.

Announcements are there for things that we think are appropriate to bring to the community. If the community disagrees, so be it, but everyone can interact on that thread...

The Boards.ie talk to forum (or a "channel" maybe) has been discussed before and if we can get to do it, we will. It's a matter of resource.

Sorry, will point out, it's not the negativity, it's the allegations and the abuse that got it removed. Simple as that :)

Where the hell were the defamatory and abusive comments? The only problematic comment I can see is the blowjob one but I can't see that as defamatory simply because I doubt you're average joe would take something like that seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The latest tweet from Boards.ie is mildly ironic..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

tbh it's quite insulting to the AH mods to claim there was any kind of abuse allowed in any thread.

Folks, having had time to now deal with this matter, I've restored the thread to feedback. My apologies for not having followed proper protocol - it was no intentional slight against anyone, it was just me making a rushed, inadvised and ultimately stoopid decision.

So I made a mistake and I apologise.

Come on Darragh, it's one thing helping to promote an artist in a tit-for-tat arrangement, but it's an insult to everyone's intellifence to make out that the artist in question was doing boards.ie a favour out of the goodness of her heart when that announcement was plainly and simply an ad for her album.

Actually, promotional it may have been, I asked Eleanor to come in and she did - out of the goodness of her own heart, on her own time, at her own expense etc.

Is there a way that you think we could do these interviews so that they're much more of benefit to the community than just being an ad?

phasers wrote: »
    tbh it's quite insulting to the AH mods to claim there was any kind of abuse allowed in any thread.

The AH mods are among the best on site. I have apologised to them.

• Advertisement

Actually, promotional it may have been, I asked Eleanor to come in and she did - out of the goodness of her own heart, on her own time, at her own expense etc.

Is there a way that you think we could do these interviews so that they're much more of benefit to the community than just being an ad?

Previous ones like the Damien Duff interview involved actual interaction with the interviewee. There was nothing in it for Damien and boardsies got to see him try to deal with their funny/daft questions. This was excellent, and a real credit to Duff who many boards members admire and have time for.

The Eleanor McEvoy thing was a 6-minute clip which began with a description of her album and featured a full song. The announcement mentioned her album, gave readers the option of seeing the song without the interview and then mentioned her album again before reminding readers that she had an album out and inviting them to visit her website to get her tour dates or follow her on twitters, presumably to find out more about her album/tour dates. I daresay Ms. McEvoy is not at the peak of her popularity at the moment.

This is miles away from the other example (there was a Dustin one and I think Francois Pienaar(?) which were also in the same, boards-friendly style) and I don't really know what you were aiming for with this.

Interesting, because the Damien Duff one was courtesy of Lucozade Sport... :P

But yes, I get you. As I said in the other thread, I was ill prepared for this one - I should have gone to the audience, asked questions and gotten answers. It doesn't always work out that way though - these things, while fun, are complicated and difficult to arrange, edit, publish and do. Part of me is wondering if in fact it's worth it at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Interesting, because the Damien Duff one was courtesy of Lucozade Sport... :P

But yes, I get you. As I said in the other thread, I was ill prepared for this one - I should have gone to the audience, asked questions and gotten answers. It doesn't always work out that way though - these things, while fun, are complicated and difficult to arrange, edit, publish and do. Part of me is wondering if in fact it's worth it at all...

Your interviews with various politicians in the run up to Lisbon II were brilliant fwiw.. more of them would be good

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Darragh takes inatitive, books a well known artist to come into HQ.

If said artist gets mauled on any part of boards it falls back on him.

Id assume d was/is hyper sensative about this, i cant blame him i would be to.

With the wide variety of forums on this site with different opinions and ways of expressing them d, id imagine would prefer if we as members were nice to this woman for taking up his offer..

Its near impossible to police comment that are not going to b positive yet within the rules, so i would think that most artists are well used to constructive critisism... its just up to boards,ie to ask people not to be muppets toward our guests

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Would there be a way to set up a kind of "live chat" kind of thread with guests sometimes? Strictly monitored of course

That could be fun and I think people would appreciate the interaction

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Lets get Callely in. In AH. After the pubs close of a friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

How about the guests get interviewed by boardsies who win a competition or something? The comp would generate hype for the interview and it'd be nice to see genuine fans get the chance to meet their Heros.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

How about some interviews with boardsies?

I'd love to be interviewed..

I could lay back on the sofa answering questions while Thaedydal rubs my feet and Beruthiel feeds me grapes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I am about to be butchered by two women.....AMA

• Advertisement

tbh wrote: »
    How about the guests get interviewed by boardsies who win a competition or something? The comp would generate hype for the interview and it'd be nice to see genuine fans get the chance to meet their Heros.

They say you should never meet your heroes. The other way around would be better - Degsy interviews Bono, anyone?

Advertisement