Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good philosophy course?

Options
  • 08-09-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

I've always had a great interest in philosophy but I could never get around to studying it.

I was looking at a couple of evening courses I could go to study philosophy while going to college. I looked at a couple in UCD and Trinity and they look pretty good...

Do anyone of ye know any good evening philosophy courses I can take in Dublin?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭David Matthew

Hi af thefragile,

I studied philosophy at undergraduate level in UCD; they have a strong department with wide-ranging interests, so I would have no hesitation in recommending them.

Are there any particular areas in philosophy you are veering towards? (Philosophy of Mind/Science/Language/Religion, Phenomenology, Political Philosophy/Aesthetics etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I was looking at this one:
    http://www.ucd.ie/adulted/courses/courses2010/qx101.htm

I'm already in med school so I can't do many things at once.

I want something that can get me started with studying philosophy.
    I like religious, spiritual and metaphysical philosophy mostly but I also like logic, reason, existentialism and such.
    I'ld be interested in Aristotle, Plato, Thomas Aquinus, Kierkegaard, Goethe, Nietzsche to name a few...

It looks good. Meeting other like-minded individuals is another reason to enrol.

Hope it goes well. :)

Might be a good idea to post your reaction to the course (if you choose to do it) in this thread; I'm sure you would have interested readers.

Cheers, I'll apply for it when I've got the money to pay the fees, which shouldn't be too long...

And I'll surely let you guys know how it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Not exactly Dublin, but I would recommend NUI Maynooth as a current philosophy student here. More info here.

• Advertisement

^Thanks.

But as I stated, I'm already doing medicine so I really can not do a full time philosophy course. I'm just looking for a part-time/evening course I could do to get me started on studying philosophy while doing medicine.

I plan on studying philosophy full-time sometime after I complete Medicine (maybe after I work for a few years and save up some money), probably in a good UK university and get a degree in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Hi everyone, I was thinking about signing up for this course, about eu150 I think. I was wondering if anybody has done it, does this school have a good reputation etc., before taking the plunge.

http://practicalphilosophy.ie/course-practical-philosophy.php

Thanks,
    FoxT

Hi FoxT,

I actually tried that course myself just to see what it was about, but it didn't really agree with me. It's more of a spiritual growth course, if you get my meaning. I'm not necessarily saying that as a criticism, but it wasn't what I was looking for.

I was fresh out of an MA in philosophy at the time, and was used to quite a different setting. It's less a free and open-ended discussion of ideas than it is a prescriptive guide to living, or cultivating inner peace might be a better way to put it. I prefer being my own guide (or at least discovering my own guides) in that respect .

For me at least, the course had too much of a specific 'agenda' to be rightly called Philosophy. Of course, we could also say (with justification) that Philosophy, as such, has an agenda of its own... To discover Truth, or to split hairs until the scalp is reached etc :)... But without delving into that particular discussion, suffice to say the course was a little too fixed for my taste.

Have you done a philosophy course before?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mr. Mercurial

I can teach you some philosophy for free if you like. (I need the practice)

Speciality is political philosophy with competencies in ethics and philosophy of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Thanks David for your response, it was very helpful.

Regards, FoxT

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement