Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken necks?

Options
  • 08-09-2010 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I was browsing through the zooplus website,looking to stock up on some goodies for my 4 doggies.

now two of them are quite old and prone to putting on a few extra pounds(arnt we all:rolleyes:)so was loking for something that i wont feel gultiy anout giving them:p.

and i saw these
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/chicken/138404
    are they safe to give,Id imagine thier are quite a few bones in a chickens neck and theyd tend to splinter very easily,but theese are 100% edible?
    anyone tried theese before?

(thier quite found of the left over scarps of chicken i give them)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Have you tried giving them carrots? My pair love them, they can be frozen so they last longer and they are, IIRC, not very digestable so you wouldn't have to worry about them being fattening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

It'd be cheaper to just buy a box of raw chicken wings from tesco, freeze them and defrost them as needed. So long as they are raw and not cooked they are fine. Raw carrots are a low fat treat also.

I haven't tried the ones in your link but I have tried both of these and my dog loves them. http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/beef/offal/138937
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/natural_treats_fish/138669

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

il try giving them a carrot.they do get a few left over peices of veggies carrots etc in thier kibble for dinner.

NEVER THOUGHT TO GIVE THE A WHOLE CARROT!

having never bought those type of dried meats before(im a bit put of by the awful smell of them)do they have to be stored in a fridge or a zip lock bag be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I don't keep either of the two things that I mentioned in my last post in the fridge, I just keep them in their original packaging with a bit of sellotape sealing it and put them in the press. I don't find the smell too bad either.

Zapperzy wrote: »
    I don't keep either of the two things that I mentioned in my last post in the fridge, I just keep them in their original packaging with a bit of sellotape sealing it and put them in the press. I don't find the smell too bad either.
    Ditto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Raw chicken necks are fine for a dog - the calcium in the bones is good for them, the bones themselves are small - you just have to be sure your dog chews them, and doesn't just gulp them down whole. Raw chicken wings are also very good for dogs. Only the largest dogs could possibly even try to gulp down raw chicken wings, so they HAVE to chew them. Again, supervise the dog with a food item like this.

Only the largest dogs could possibly even try to gulp down raw chicken wings, so they HAVE to chew them. Again, supervise the dog with a food item like this.
    You'd want to tell that to my terrier! First time I gave her one she just cracked the bones and swallowed it. Luckily it hit her stomach and bounced straight back up, she took more care eating it the second time round :puke:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Least she cracked them. My dog does similar - lots of chewing, but ultimately swallows the wing as one piece. Still, it's well pulverised by the time it goes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

thanks,ill keep an eyes on them.
    they are gulpers alright,youd swear they were never fed the way they carry on :o

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My dog loves full carrots. Keeps her busy for about ten minutes. Makes an almightly mess though, she break it down into tiny pieces.

• Advertisement

Least she cracked them. My dog does similar - lots of chewing, but ultimately swallows the wing as one piece. Still, it's well pulverised by the time it goes down.
    This was just two bites: crack-crack-gulp-bleurgh. She's learned her lesson since though.

Advertisement