Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porting an older Java app to google app engine

Options
  • 08-09-2010 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi everyone

This is my first foray into the Tech part of boards. Please be kind...

I am trying to work out if my idea, outlined below, is feasible.

I have the source code for a Java app that was written over about 5 years, and completed in about 2004. I'm not the legal owner - but I have permission of the owner to investigate the below.

There's a lot to it - its a big app. Without wanting to describe it in too much detail, its a web app, that previously ran on Apache, on Linux of some description, on a MySQL db, I think.

The user structure (not sure how to describe this..) is like this: a user belongs to a company, there can be many users, and many companies in the same database at any one time. It is paramount that users from one company cannot access the data in the other companies' dataset. However, a company can publish data, to make it accessible by other companies...

The whole system has been professionally designed and written, and was overseen by a friend of mine who has years of experience developing and managing the development of complex web systems - so I am confident it was written correctly, and according to best practice.

I am convinced that this app is a prime candidate for being ported to run on Google App Engine - quite possibly needing to get straight into Google App Engine for Business, for the sake of keeping redevelopment to a minimum, and the sheer convenience of having an SQL DB, rather than having to rewrite the data access layer to run on BigTable.

My questions are thus: is there anyone here that could give me advice on this? Are there any Google App Engine (esp in Java), experts out there? Can you suggest how I would go about investigating the feasibility of my project? I guess one of the things I am worried about is converting the concept of a "user" in my system to the concept of a google user.

Thanking you all in advance.

Mick

Advertisement