Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiny yellow bugs?

• 08-09-2010 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

So my brother just came in, he was in the hay shed and came back covered in what we thought was dust but when I looked closer I saw something moving, they were tiny yellow bugs!
    Anyone know what they are?They're really really small, like I said it looked liked he was covered in dust.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sound like mites. What type I don't know.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Straw itch mites.

They are orangy brown in colour and really tiny about the size of the ball in a ball point pen, but flat. You get them in hay, straw even bulk grain. Have to say I had them on me lots of times, especially when young climbing up on the hay to play with kittens.

Can cause some dermatitis but they never bothered me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

artieanna wrote: »
    Straw itch mites.

They are orangy brown in colour and really tiny about the size of the ball in a ball point pen, but flat. You get them in hay, straw even bulk grain. Have to say I had them on me lots of times, especially when young climbing up on the hay to play with kittens.

Can cause some dermatitis but they never bothered me.

Yeah, that would probably be them, sounds like them anyway, thanks.:)
    Was just wondering because I don't think I've ever seen them before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I didn't know that Straw Itch Mite (Pyemotes tritici) were present in Ireland.

Advertisement