Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorway opening??

• 08-09-2010 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Can anyone confirm if the final stretch of the new motorway is opening tomorrow?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Yes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭crow_eat_crow

Woo hoo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

in a spirit of feigned irresponsibility, may I suggest people use this thread to post their lap times :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I will let you know my lap time tomorrow...I can almost feel the shopping bags in my hands now, its so close!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

michellie wrote: »
    I will let you know my lap time tomorrow...I can almost feel the shopping bags in my hands now, its so close!!!:D

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

May I be the first to say that it is open!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Anyone have a working time to Dublin yet?

I'd be very curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Paulstown-Dunkitt: 30 minutes on the nose.

Did it at 70 mph on cruise control so actually a smidgen below the 120 km/h speed limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

The road didn't open until 3PM much to my dismay, but got to take it all in on the way back from Carlow. Around 35/40 minutes from the Carlow exit to the end of the M9 in Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

thank god its finally open, i do a lot of daytrips to uk early morning flights and late night flights back should be in my bed before one in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

I really hope this will spark a proper non-stop direct bus service from Waterford to Dublin City/Dublin Airport, akin to that run by GoBus from galway to Dublin, where they follow the motorway all the way along.

One can dream :D

1224278555215.jpg?ts=1284061584

Not only is it open, but you're also allowed to drive on the wrong side of the road, how great is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

It's good that the new road is open and I'll never have to see those awful villages in Kilkenny again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

So,, where is the closest shop/garage/coffee stop to the motorway? I do the trip to dublin once a week, have to have a coffee stop on the way up. castledermot might be nearest the road id say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

michellie wrote: »
    Just back and on the satnav it took 1H 29m to get there and 1h 35m to get back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

marlin vs wrote: »

No speeding, right?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So,, where is the closest shop/garage/coffee stop to the motorway? I do the trip to dublin once a week, have to have a coffee stop on the way up. castledermot might be nearest the road id say!

You'd have to call in to a town or village, Mullinavat is pretty close to the exit for it but its likely too close to the start of your trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

marlin vs wrote: »

What was the average speed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

ziedth wrote: »
    Anyone have a working time to Dublin yet?

I'd be very curious.

1h38 from turning the key in the Blue carpark at Dublin airport at 8PM last night to the Tower Hotel.

Pretty much 120 all the way, with a wry laugh on seeing the signs to Paulstown, Thomastown, Gowran etc. remembering how it used to be!

SSE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

1h38 from turning the key in the Blue carpark at Dublin airport at 8PM last night to the Tower Hotel.

Pretty much 120 all the way, with a wry laugh on seeing the signs to Paulstown, Thomastown, Gowran etc. remembering how it used to be!

SSE

nice one,

Makes any travel allot easier in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

SSE
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

ziedth wrote: »
    nice one,

Makes any travel allot easier in fairness

I'd say you save 20-25 min. at the largely unsocial hours I travel, but the potential saving during the day avoiding the towns AND THAT FECKING RIGHT TURN AT PAULSTOWN could be up to an hour!

SSE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    What was the average speed?
    I can't remember but my fastest seed was 129.that must have been when I was overtaking as I tried to keep it at 120.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Heading back from Maynooth this evening, i'll have to see... Delighted about not having to take the old Gowran road anymore, car was banjaxed from it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    The road didn't open until 3PM much to my dismay, but got to take it all in on the way back from Carlow. Around 35/40 minutes from the Carlow exit to the end of the M9 in Waterford.

That is unbelievable timing!! Cant wait to go for a spin on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Miss Dymph

Drove home from the airport yesterday afternoon, hour to carlow and half an hour to waterford, doing the speed limit all the way even a little under sometimes, definitely the job for people travelling to college along the way. Cant wait for Christmas, shopping will be done in a day...on the 24th :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

The days of been stuck in bottleneck villages are long gone!! Dublin is only up the road now!! Happy Days!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I remember, as a child, I used to like the rare trip to Dublin, but hated the journey to get there and back. It seemed so long. Now it's only 90 minutes. I've taken nearly that long to get from Mooncoin to Waterford a few times. Admittedly exceptional, but in heavy traffic and with the old road layout and bad luck, it did take over an hour a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I'm going to go for a spin up tomorrow see how long it takes ive nothing else to do :)

I'll try keep within the speed limit for research purposes :),but that might be hard when im driving a M3 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Right,

From the Granny roundabout to the M9/M7 merge took me 55 minutes today. 15 minutes to junction 8 (kilkenny) for the same roundabout!!!. (Imagine that a few months ago. They will be able to get to work here quicker now!!) Took 28 mins to the Carlow exit.

I left at 9.30 this morning and was on the Westmeath/Longford border at 11.30!!!!

So I did it like the anorak that I am on the iphone stopwatch from the M7/M9 merge on the way back (sorry couldnt do it from the red cow as I was coming from Mullingar);

Merge to Exit 2 Kilcullen - 2.51min
    Exit 2 to 3 Athy/Moone - 8.18
    Exit 3 to 4 Carlow - 5.43
    Exit 4 to 5 Carlow/Rosslare/Bunclody - 5.31
    Exit 5 to 6 Leighlinbridge/Bagenalstown - 3.14
    Exit 6 to 7 Paulstown/Gowran - 5.39
    Exit 7 to 8 kilkenny - 4.10
    Exit 8 to 9 Stoneyford - 4.26
    Exit 9 to 10 Knocktopher - 4.46
    Exit 10 to 11 Vegas - 5.21
    Exit 11 to 12 THE DEISE - 5.21

Total time 56.56

Used to take that to just get to kilkenny a year ago.

It really does make everywhere on the route very accessible and if you travel as part of your career it does open up business opportunities that you may not have thought of before because it takes such a short time to get places now

The main gripe I have with the road is that if you want to go south on the merge with the M7 you have to go north to the Mondello exit and double back.

Oh and would them clowns ever take them flags down off the bridges. The bloody colour of them, looks like they were soaked in shyte and puke!!

Advertisement