Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorway opening??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

^^ 28 minutes to the Carlow exit!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

^^ 28 minutes to the Carlow exit!!

Yup! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

Does anyone know when or If the bus's are going to start running on the motorway or will they stick to the regular route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

I left the car park of Bewleys Hotel Dublin Airport at 11.08pm last night & was back at home in Abbeylands, Ferrybank at 12.43am! One Hour 35mins door-to-door! Amazing!! It was great after arriving back from hol's & getting home so quickly. It is hard to appreciate how accessible it now makes Waterford to the rest of the country. I remember driving to Dublin one afternoon less than two yrs ago & the journey time was in excess of 3hr 30mins.
    Another added bonus for those who like the ease of motorway driving but none of the hassle associated with city driving is the Park & Ride Scheme @ the Red Cow Roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Does anyone know when or If the bus's are going to start running on the motorway or will they stick to the regular route?

Unless someone starts some kind of direct express service, I'd imagine it will stick to the the old route. They still need to go through all the places bypassed by the motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Another added bonus for those who like the ease of motorway driving but none of the hassle associated with city driving is the Park & Ride Scheme @ the Red Cow Roundabout.

I recommend this as well, €4 for 24 hours parking and another €4 for a return ticket on the Luas(which has a stop in the middle of the car park) to the city centre.Although if it's a full car it might be cheaper to find a car park in the city centre.

I drove it today,i timed it from the Grannagh roundabout to the red cow and it took me 01:13:42 yes that's 1 hour and 13 minutes :D

It took 11 minutes to the Thomastown exit,and 15 minutes to the Kilkenny exit,and just 30 minutes to the Carlow exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

I drove it today,i timed it from the Grannagh roundabout to the red cow and it took me 01:13:42 yes that's 1 hour and 13 minutes :D

It took 11 minutes to the Thomastown exit,and 15 minutes to the Kilkenny exit,and just 30 minutes to the Carlow exit.

+1.

Incredible stuff really. It's now just 90 minutes to Dublin Airport given the m50 moves well.

If I cast my mind back to getting the Rapid Express buses in the 80s from Tara Street .... one night, it took 4 and a half hours

We have progressed !

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Miss Dymph

No as far as I know they will just stick to the regular route because it still has to serve the smaller towns, would have to be a huge huge demand like an airport run from waterford direct but cant see them doing that anytime soon really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

Brilliant.... Saturday evening did Waterford Airport to Dundalk, cruise control 130 km ish - 2 hours 15 mins.:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

What speed were you travelling at Rich?

What speed were you travelling at Rich?

The slowest i done was 120 and the fastest i think was around the 190-200,i didn't time it coming back but i think it was done in about an hour..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

The slowest i done was 120 and the fastest i think was around the 190-200,i didn't time it coming back but i think it was done in about an hour..

Was thinking you were hitting those speeds as it normally took me about 30 mins to KK town before the new section opened.

Was thinking you were hitting those speeds as it normally took me about 30 mins to KK town before the new section opened.

To be honest i dont usually drive that fast.

To be honest i dont usually drive that fast,but i had it on cruise control at 150 most of the way,and its hard not to speed when there is an open road in front..

Yeah its hard not to speed but i try not to hit more than 130. Will probably take a trip to Carlow tomorrow and see how long it takes me travelling at 120kmph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

OMG! Is that not a bit wreckless?

OMG! Is that not a bit wreckless?

Yeah it was a bit wreckless,but as i said i dont usually drive at those speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

on good roads like them its hard to keep to the speed limits :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Untill you end up burried in a ditch or field:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

and then you know your after going too fast init :)
    and before u add senseible speed and wreckless speed are 2 different tings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

Yeah it was a bit wreckless,but as i said i dont usually drive at those speeds,i have a fast car so why not drive it fast.
    Gardaí /Court appearences /fines/penalty points /driving bans /higher insurance premiums........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

Wondered when the boards PC brigade would arrive to administer speeding lectures

I travelled the road last night and did the red cow to the end of the motorway in 1hr 14... No stopping or slowing down anywhere... Red Cow to Naas North (start of motorway) at 100ish on cruise control and Naas home at 120ish... Didnt have to break once:-) brilliant road:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

"Boards PC brigade" me arse.

200k/120mph is too bloody fast. You're driving 35mph over the speed limit, you have no control if anything unexpected occurs, no matter how amazing you think you are as a driver. I have a fast car so I'm going to drive fast...

Maybe tone it down a bit butty, 140k max might be ok coming back at 2 in the morning:D

zeppe wrote: »
    "Boards PC brigade" me arse.

200k/120mph is too bloody fast. You're driving 35mph over the speed limit, you have no control if anything unexpected occurs, no matter how amazing you think you are as a driver. I have a fast car so I'm going to drive fast...

Maybe tone it down a bit butty, 140k max might be ok coming back at 2 in the morning:D

The speed limit is actually 70mph,so its 50mph over the speed limit not 35mph butty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

It's the nutters doing 200kph which will mean the Guards will be out there overpolicing the rest of us for just scraping over 120kph.

In other words, you spoil it for everyone else and well as being downright irresponsible. Grow up - it's not your private racetrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Are tractors/ combine harvesters etc allowed on the motorway - I've driven it a few times and I've come across one around Knocktopher on several occasions - badly lit as well. I would have thought that due to the 120km/h speed limit that they were prohibited from using the motorway. Surely the roads that they would have always used are still open.

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Are tractors/ combine harvesters etc allowed on the motorway - I've driven it a few times and I've come across one around Knocktopher on several occasions - badly lit as well. I would have thought that due to the 120km/h speed limit that they were prohibited from using the motorway. Surely the roads that they would have always used are still open.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/motorways/general-rules.html

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    It's the nutters doing 200kph which will mean the Guards will be out there overpolicing the rest of us for just scraping over 120kph.

In other words, you spoil it for everyone else and well as being downright irresponsible. Grow up - it's not your private racetrack.

I dont see it as downright irresponsible,but sure everybody is entitled to there opinion,and i dont need to grow up i never said it was a private racetrack and im not using it as one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I dont see it as downright irresponsible,you and a lot of people here will do,but sure everybody is entitled to there opinion,and i dont need to grow up i never said it was a private racetrack and im not using it as one.

Some people on here would really want to get over themselves.

You are entitled to your opinion, so how about lobby politicians for an increase in the speed limit. Between then and now how about keeping to the laws that have been agreed upon. That, or buy a helicopter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

How fast can a tractor go?

It's not really clear cut then as to whether they can or not but I'd be fairly sure the one that I saw was not going more than 50km/h.

Advertisement