Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying this in a couple of hours anything wrong?

Options
  • 08-09-2010 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

this is going to be my first time building an actual pc so im really looking forward to it :) what do ye guys think of this setup?
    Build1.jpg
    Speakers
    one question guys is the RAM compatible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CullyA

hi ,

youd save a lot of cash using www3.hardwareversand.de
    below is i7950 price ,saving €41 alone on this ,
    check them out

Intel Core i7-950 Box 8192Kb, LGA1366

resource?articleId=27123&size=0
    Product Description: Intel Core i7 950 / 3.06 GHz processor
    Product Type: Processor
    Processor Type: Intel Core i7 950

277,19 €

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

nah i priced my whole build together and i really wouldn't save much going with them maybe about 50 euro total

so its all good?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

i said it in the other thread, reading around the web, loads are having issues overclocking 950's, supposed to be a lot of bad batches for overclocking. Just a word of warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Why are you going with the inferior AMD edition of the 932, especially when you are doing an Intel build?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

how is the amd 932 worse than the standard 932 and lol on the amd case with quality intel parts inside lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

AMD 932 is missing the side fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

X6 keyboard isn't great. The layout is a bit off.

For gaming I'd recommend logitech, steelseries or roccat.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    i said it in the other thread, reading around the web, loads are having issues overclocking 950's, supposed to be a lot of bad batches for overclocking. Just a word of warning.

what would you think of the 930 then? are there any issues with that one as i will be overclocking eventually, and on the keyboard side of things i like the x6 because it isnt a crazy price and im looking for something that has backlight keys. anyone else have any thoughts on the 950 issue? also the amd 932 is in stock on pixmania while the standard 932 isnt in stock (also the amd version is dearer so i would like to go with the standard but cant, also they are both the same case right?)

what would you think of the 930 then? are there any issues with that one as i will be overclocking eventually
    i would definately get the 930 over the 950( from what im reading with people getting lots of different max OC's with the 950's and some brick walls on low overclocks, again though you could be lucky ).
    Pixmania seem stupidly expensive on the cpu though, overclockers have the 930 @ £209 and the 950@229
    If youre just looking for a 4Ghz OC the 930 will easily manage it, ive my 920@4Ghz except during the summer ive it at 3.8 as it gets too hot, the 930 is slightly cooler and easier to overclock. IF you get the 930 dont use the highest multiplier, apparently its crap for a 4Ghz OC

Another thing to consider is AMD's x6 processors, the new ones are mega and tbh if i was building a rig now i would go for that( practically i7 performance, overclocks really well, has turbo and has 6 cores ) - check out the review here and see what you think - http://www.anandtech.com/show/3674/amds-sixcore-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-1055t-reviewed/1

• Advertisement

AMD 932 is missing the side fan.

damn never noticed that :( anyone know of anyplace i can get a standard 932 with good shiping besides hardwaresand.de as that will take forever to get to me, or even better could some point out a full tower case with cooling as good as the 932 for about the same money

damn never noticed that :( anyone know of anyplace i can get a standard 932 with good shiping besides hardwaresand.de as that will take forever to get to me, or even better could some point out a full tower case with cooling as good as the 932 for about the same money
    dunno where you would get the case, BUT if you get a 930 spend the extra on a Gigabyte UD5, have to say best mobo ive ever bought, not Sata 6 but cant have everything

i would definately get the 930 over the 950( from what im reading with people getting lots of different max OC's with the 950's and some brick walls on low overclocks, again though you could be lucky ).
    Pixmania seem stupidly expensive on the cpu though, overclockers have the 930 @ £209 and the 950@229
    If youre just looking for a 4Ghz OC the 930 will easily manage it, ive my 920@4Ghz except during the summer ive it at 3.8 as it gets too hot, the 930 is slightly cooler and easier to overclock. IF you get the 930 dont use the highest multiplier, apparently its crap for a 4Ghz OC

Another thing to consider is AMD's x6 processors, the new ones are mega and tbh if i was building a rig now i would go for that( practically i7 performance, overclocks really well, has turbo and has 6 cores ) - check out the review here and see what you think - http://www.anandtech.com/show/3674/amds-sixcore-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-1055t-reviewed/1

i was going to go AMD but at the end the gigibyte mobo confirmed an i7 purchase as it supports both sli and crossfire with 3 cards, could you point out a full tower case with the cooling abilities of the 932? i think im going to go with the 930 as its cheaper than the 950, is the major difference between the 930 and 950 the clock speeds?

dunno where you would get the case, BUT if you get a 930 spend the extra on a Gigabyte UD5, have to say best mobo ive ever bought, not Sata 6 but cant have everything

nah its not in stock so i wont bother plus the ud3 is good anyway

ok wtf is going on with pixmania's prices a 930 costs more than a 950??? link even their main site has it for over 50 euro cheaper
    and know that i looked the 920 is going for 340 serious WTF

i was going to go AMD but at the end the gigibyte mobo confirmed an i7 purchase as it supports both sli and crossfire with 3 cards, could you point out a full tower case with the cooling abilities of the 932? i think im going to go with the 930 as its cheaper than the 950, is the major difference between the 930 and 950 the clock speeds?
    yeah, SLI and Xfire support is an excellent feature of most x58 mobos so really cant knock them.
    As for 3 cards, man will never happen, going by my own experience with the UD5 if slot for the 3rd card is far too close to the bottom of the case that cooling for that card is crap, my 8800GT( for physx ) reaches 90C lol, in the other slot its only 78C but it affects my 5850 cooling.

The only main difference between the 930 and 950 are the stock speeds, tbh its not worth the extra considering peoples hassles overclocking the 950. On top of that my 920@3.8Ghz NEVER gos to 100% cpu usage or even close on all cores for games( video encoding will do it of course )

As for the case no, im a huge fan of HAF's so personally couldnt recommend anything better. Why dont you get the regular 932? it includes the side fan - http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1773040/art/cooler-master/haf-932-pc-tower-case-bla.html#tech-specs
    ok wtf is going on with pixmania's prices a 930 costs more than a 950??? link even their main site has it for over 50 euro cheaper
    lol, yeah, i said that already :P, just get the cpu from overclockers, its a lot cheaper( i included the stg prices in previous post )

ya id love to buy the haf 932 but its not in till the 17th which probably means October, and whats overclockers.uk like for buying components? are they annoying about sending it to ireland etc.

why not ebuyers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

massy086 wrote: »
    why not ebuyers

+1 They had stuff over here for me in three days flat (and using paypal). At GBP 9.99 delivery worth picking up a few items to make it worthwhile.

Notice they do not have the HAF 932 or i7-950 for some bizzare reason :confused:

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    +1 They had stuff over here for me in three days flat (and using paypal). At GBP 9.99 delivery worth picking up a few items to make it worthwhile.

Notice they do not have the HAF 932 or i7-950 for some bizzare reason :confused:

ive heard some stuff about them not being too good about shipping to ireland is there any truth to this?

as far as i can see they have cleaned up there act

ahh this will drive me mad trying to buy from different sites :eek: wouldnt you know just as im about to buy things go out of stock

ive heard some stuff about them not being too good about shipping to ireland is there any truth to this?
    like was said they might have cleaned their crap up but i had a nightmare with those idiots 2 years ago and gave up( it was at the time they were stealing other sites sales pitches for components and pix lol )

As for overclockers, well theyre not the best returning components to( pixmania are fecking excellent, even though i heard bad things about them they offered to courier something i bought recently back and i got the damn thing working and had to convince them i no longer wanted an RMA, tekheads are also absolutely fantastic ).

Overclockers deliver to ireland, costs about 17euro but arrives in about 2 days, tbh its excellent, but again, theyre not so great on RMA's
    ahh this will drive me mad trying to buy from different sites :eek: wouldnt you know just as im about to buy things go out of stock
    take a chill man :), get all your components right first then decide where to get all or most from the cheapest site and then work on the stuff out of stock.

If i was buying a rig i would 120% go with tekheads, they dont pay for RMA postage, however they will RMA something straight away and once i got pissed off with a mobo( the one i got after RMA ) being soo crap at overclocking i RMA'd it with them, told them i wanted a refund but that i was going to order another mobo. No probs, new mobo arrived 2 days later, after i sent the other mobo back, got credited the price of the old mobo. Cant get better than that, so im a hugggeeeee fan of tekheads. Their delivery price is expensive, but worth it if doing a full build.

actually just put this mix together with komplett and pixmania and its working out cheaper
    Komplett.jpg
    Pixmania.jpg
    and these speakers seem good

totals at : €1519

seems good what do ye guys think?

actually just put this mix together with komplett and pixmania and its working out cheaper
    Komplett.jpg
    Pixmania.jpg
    and these speakers seem good

totals at : €1519

seems good what do ye guys think?
    looks good, if youre going to overclock you NEED a cooler, can get that later though if you prefer. Id go with noctua D14

As for the G15, why not check adverts for a second hand one? i got mine for 45euro on adverts, theres one up now for 60euro( still a 20euro saving )

tbh i like things like my mouse and keyboard to be new as opposed to used this dosnt bother me about stuff that doesnt get handled as much but these used peripherals can be a bit hit and miss i will look into it though, also the g15 has a lighted keyboard right? ya il leave the cooler off for a while maybe around the same time as when il (hopefully if they dont suck) be buying a hd 6870

tbh i like things like my mouse and keyboard to be new as opposed to used this dosnt bother me about stuff that doesnt get handled as much but these used peripherals can be a bit hit and miss i will look into it though, also the g15 has a lighted keyboard right? ya il leave the cooler off for a while maybe around the same time as when il (hopefully if they dont suck) be buying a hd 6870
    ahh yeah i know what you mean, id make sure anything second hand wasnt grubby though lol, mine was like new, tbh my old kb was a disgrace in comparison haha
    yeah g15 has a backlight, V2( the one youve picked out is orange ), i prefer the old v1 blue, but theyre difficult to get

Yeah no need for a cooler yet, can pick that up anytime, 6870 hmm, dunno the leaked benchies( if true mind ) were for the northern island card due early next year but it looks mega

• Advertisement

the only thing i would change is the screen to this http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2701048/art/lg/w2361v-pf-23-tft-widescre.html i know its 20quid more but its worth it, i had an acer screen and rma,d it quickly as it was muck i now have the lg and love it. im even thinking of getting another 2 of them, and the response time on your acer is 5ms not good for gaming the lg is 2ms

Advertisement