Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Examiner's new weather site

Options
  • 08-09-2010 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭

I was flicking through De Paper online there (as we Corkmen are genetically obliged to do) and noted they have a new "weather channel" at http://www.irishexaminer.com/weather/ . Its actually quite good (once it loads fully) giving reasonably detailed 5 day outlooks which can be broken down into 3 hour stints and good graphics. I'm sure its just a repackaging of info on other sites but its well done.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭fishmahboi

This site is the exact same as breaking news.ie and is it as good as met eireann?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Subject to correction but there isn't a facility on met.ie site to look at, say, the weather at 3am next Sunday, is there? I appreciate many websites have this but just not Irish ones I know of? Happy to be corrected on all of this.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Subject to correction but there isn't a facility on met.ie site to look at, say, the weather at 3am next Sunday, is there? I appreciate many websites have this but just not Irish ones I know of? Happy to be corrected on all of this.....

You just get the very basic package on the met eirean site, i.e a text forecasts range along with short range HIRLAM forecasts in chart form which I suppose is enough for most people. Fine in itself, but compared to virtually any other official met service sites throughout Europe, it seems very limit in the amount of information it provides to the general public, such as long range charts and so forth.

Even looking at the 1 day forecast charts on ME:

ISO_TODAY_ATL.png

they are about the size of a stamp! and show only the forecast set up for noon today and noon tomorrow.

Having said that, I suppose with the ever changing weather in Ireland as compared to most other countries perhaps they are right not to post up long range forecast as that is subject to frequent change anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

Not bad, but the Adverts are too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

John mac wrote: »
    Not bad, but the Adverts are too big.

No adverts for me, adblock plus on firefox. It's not a bad site. I like the new overlay there using on google maps. Also it manages to pull weather data from any location I've clicked on to. There's not that many NRA stations or Met Eireann observatories. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

the askmoby widget on the examiner site is free to anyone who wishes to embed it on their website. maybe no harm embedding it on a sticky thread here.

It's designed by an Ennis firm in fact called Nowcasting International.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Hal1 wrote: »
    No adverts for me, adblock plus on firefox. It's not a bad site. I like the new overlay there using on google maps. Also it manages to pull weather data from any location I've clicked on to. There's not that many NRA stations or Met Eireann observatories. :confused:

Eircom use the same forecast method and google map as well.

http://www.eircom.net/weather/

They get their data from this crowd. Not sure if it is the same crowd that supplies data in the Examiner map though.

Advertisement