Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod Touch Fell in sea!!!! HELP!!!!

Options
  • 08-09-2010 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Ok so the title prob says it all but i need help... How do I dry it out!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

leave it turned off and put it in a bag of rice for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

As guil says. Rice ! Do not attempt to turn it on for at least 48 hours. Keep in hotpress. You could have an extra problem with salt after drying but should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Homer

Most important thing is to NOT SWITCH IT ON for the moment.. Let it dry out and if possible place it in a bowl of rice (absorbs any moisture that may be inside the unit). Leave it in an airing cupboard or somewhere warm for at least 12 hours and hope for the best.
    Missus dropped her iphone into the toilet :p and the above procedure worked and it's been perfect since.
    If you try switching it on then you may fry the components inside and corrode the PCB.
    Hope it works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Ouch is right. The salt will make it worse. It will speed up the corrosion.
    An other thing I seen of, is to immerse it in Isopropyl alcohol. It has none of the characteristics of water. It could help with the salt and disperse the water.

Although try it at your own peril:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Paul.M92

You do know Isopropyl alcohol is highly flammable and it can also cause explosive peroxides and after long term contact to skin can cause defatting...
    Is that what was meant by "own Peril":confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Salt water and electronics do not mix. Id be surprised if it worked again. Sorry. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Paul.M92 wrote: »
    You do know Isopropyl alcohol is highly flammable and it can also cause explosive peroxides and after long term contact to skin can cause defatting...
    Is that what was meant by "own Peril":confused:

Ha ha your being very cautious there. Defatting? I had to google that.:)

I have read the MSDS sheet:) I use 20 litres a month in work. For the last 8 years. It is safe enough to use. Just DO NOT smoke while using it.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Paul.M92

jenno86 wrote: »
    Salt water and electronics do not mix. Id be surprised if it worked again. Sorry. :(

Ya your probably right... i'll give all these ideas a go and see if i have any luck... please let me know if you have any mor suggestions though.......:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Bag of rice is best bet... but leave it switched off whatever you do!

Advertisement