Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Saving to hard drive

• 08-09-2010 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭

If I save a game to the hard drive do I still need the disk to play it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

groomek wrote: »
    If I save a game to the hard drive do I still need the disk to play it?

Yes, the disc needs to be there for security checks. Otherwise you could play games without paying for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭groomek

Hmm I see.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The purpose of the saving game to hard drives is to reduce the loading times of games, and to reduce stress on your DVD drive's laser. It's one whole, reasonably fast, read of the disc with no variations in location/sectors so it's much better than loading games on the fly (as you need them) which involves a lot of reads/location jumping which will increase wear & tear on the drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

yep, you need the disc for it. but it really speeds up the game, especially for a large open world like Fallout or Fable 2. i noticed a huge difference in load times and less lag when moving into a new area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Nah, some games do work without the disc in.
    It worked for me with Naval Assault: The Killing Tide and Clash of the Titans, and my mate Dave says it works with Naughty Bear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bop1977

sorry for hijacking this tread but how do you save a game to the hard drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

when you stick a game into the tray (make sure you haven't it set to auto play it), press Y (i think) to go to Game Details. you'll see an option to save to hard drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Another thing good about saving to HDD is when my xbox fell over, scratching my GTA IV to pieces and effectively making it unreadable but when I saved my friends GTA IV to my Hard drive it worked (not perfectly as it would take longer for certain objects to load) as an in drive disc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Myself and a mate have done the same thing as williamOC, it's let us play games even though we've wrecked discs in drunken, nerd rage and noob tube filled mw2 sessions :)

Advertisement