Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

green diesel in car

• 08-09-2010 6:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

hi

guy was telling me his friend was caught by customs with green diesel in his nissan navara ..
    the thing is the the guy made it across the border into Co Tyrone but the customs followed him...
    surely they can not cross the border or can they, anyone know for sure?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Theanswers

I would think not, but thats just a guess...

It is a different country like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Customs do have far more powers than anyone else in the country, so it's possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Theanswers

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Customs do have far more powers than anyone else in the country, so it's possible.

The key words there are 'in this country'...

NI is not this country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭hoodrats

kincaid wrote: »
    hi

guy was telling me his friend was caught by customs with green diesel in his nissan navara ..
    the thing is the the guy made it across the border into Co Tyrone but the customs followed him...
    surely they can not cross the border or can they, anyone know for sure?

are you sure the story you heard was not make believe. if the guy didnt want to get caught why did he stop for the checkpoint , and did he drive off after the customs people dipped his tank?
    i cant see the customs people following him as they would take his reg number and trace him that way. i wouldnt believe all the stories i hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

I've heard that if the cops aint with Customs you dont have to stop...
    Still, wouldn't chance it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

customs have no jurisdiction in NI

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Seanieke wrote: »
    I've heard that if the cops aint with Customs you dont have to stop...
    Still, wouldn't chance it
    You heard wrong. Customs have extensive powers to search premises, vehicles, luggage, parcels etc and do not need Gardai with them to detain you. If you pass a Customs check-point the Gardai will follow you and arrest you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Whats the fine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if i was to drive up the north and put red diesel in my jeep could customs down here get me ? im not putting fuel in from this country anyway so no revenue loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

The colour doesn't matter as it's classed as "Marked Gas Oil" and as such cannot be legally used in a car/jeep. Truck drivers from the North used to exploit this loophole in reverse over 10 years ago, as (I'm open to correction on this) I think the legislation in the UK specifically mentioned "Red Diesel", thus you could get around the law by using green. This is most likely tidied up by now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement