Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft office, do I need to pay so much?

Options
  • 08-09-2010 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I have just purchased a new laptop and will be starting my thesis soon. Microsoft office is so expensive, but I will need it to do my thesis.

Is there any cheeky cheap ways to get it or do I need to fork out another €100?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

There are other options than office- Open Office is free and can do a lot of what Office can.
    Google Docs and Office Live are online options, and also free:

Open Office
    Google Docs
    Office Live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You don't need Office, there's a completely free alternative. It will save and read in the same format (doc and docx) as Office

http://www.openoffice.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ailbheonolan

The only thing is that I am experienced with excel and my thesis will involve some serious data processing so I would be safer to stick with what I know

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

Ask the IT department in your college. Back when I was in college they used to give us copies off office 2003 (but you had to supply the blank CD).

• Advertisement

Heya Gerry, yeah I tried that today, they essentially told me........eh no!

Ian I will check that out if I don't get a cheaper option!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

I always found Open Office better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Sandvich wrote: »
    I always found Open Office better.

It's great until you convert a document to an MS Office format and open it with the office suite - the formatting is always all over the place!
    It can be avoiding if you export to PDF mind you...

tman wrote: »
    It's great until you convert a document to an MS Office format and open it with the office suite - the formatting is always all over the place!
    It can be avoiding if you export to PDF mind you...

Yeah thats the last thing I want if I am switching between my home computer and the college ones. That would be a major headache!!!

So it's definitely office that I need

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Keep your eyes open for the Home+Student edition of Office 2007; I've seen the 3-license version going around for under €80 in places. I bought mine when it was on special offer in Tesco for well under €50 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Advertisement