Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - Collection of equipment

• 08-09-2010 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

I sent a formal request in writing to UPC to cancel my account and terminate all services with them whereby I was giving them the required 30 days notice.

All is well and good there, and I get a phone call from them saying that I'll be disconnected on the 30th September. Grand.

However, today I get a call saying that someone will be out to collect the UPC equipment (cable box, telephone, modem) tomorrow.

Now if I've paid up until September 30th, why are they coming to collect all equipmen, tomorrow the 9th Sept, thus leaving me without any services which I have paid for another nearly 3 weeks.

Also, I'm well out of contract with them past the 12 month mark, I've been with them for over 2 years now and haven't upgraded my package or done anything to inadvertently renew my subscription with them, I always thought that once you were more than 12 months with them they let you keep the equipment, and they only collected it if you broke the contract and cancelled your subscriptions within 12 months, is this not the case anymore?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

No idea. I'd only give them the equipment back if I had it in writing that they wouldn't be charging me or would give me a cheque for the amount I can't use (e.g. sept 9 - 30th). Otherwise I'd be telling them to collect it October 1st at the earliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

If you've paid up you're entitled to the equipment to use the services until 30th September.
    But, and I can tell you from experience because it happened to me, it could be that their system won't allow you to set a cancellation date in advance. Many companies still want you to call closer to the date to terminate then.
    From what I was sent in the terms and conditions, the equipment remains their property and a charge is incurred if you don't return it to them.
    We will supply you with the Equipment to facilitate provision of the Services. You must not use the Equipment for any other purpose and must comply with all manufacturers’ instructions and any reasonable instructions that we may give you regarding the use of the Equipment. The Equipment belongs to us (unless you specifically purchase equipment from us under a written purchase agreement) and you must not give anyone else any rights over it.
    And here they mention returning equipment within 14 days of cancellation.
    On termination of this Agreement, or on cancellation of any Services or Packages requiring Equipment, you shall within fourteen (14) days of the date of termination or cancellation, unless otherwise agreed with us, arrange for us to collect at your residence at no cost to you or return to us in our offices at your own expense, the Equipment. If you fail to do so, we reserve the right to continue to charge you for the Services until the Equipment is returned or to charge you an unrecoverable equipment charge. You will be invoiced for the costs of repair or loss or damage to the Equipment under this Condition.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The cancellation would surely be effective from the date you have paid up to.

Refuse to give them the equipment simple as that. You are entitled to it for the length of time you have paid for the service.

There is no point in them letting you keep the equipment as it would be of no use to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Runs Cold

UPC will collect the equipment ( it is theirs always)
    You will recieve a termination bill which will indicate any credit due back to you.
    they may have arranged early termination to avoid you going into a new months bill run.

so, posters saying not to hand back equipment etc are complicating your disconnection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby_Woo

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I was thinking it seemed a bit lousy to take the gear away nearly 3 weeks after it having been paid up in full and advance.

I'll check with them tomorrow and see what the story is in case it is an early termination to avoid me running over into a new bill, as Runs Cold said.

Also re: the equipment, don't mind giving it back at all, as Dubs45 rightly said, I won't have any use for it anyhow.

Was just wondering however, as I seem to recall back in student days of NTL and I know with Sky, once you've seen through your minimum term contract, usually 12 months, you were free to keep the equipment, you only had to had it back if you disconnected and broke your contract early.

I was just wondering if UPC were being particularly lousy in my instance or if it was standard procedure for everyone to have to hand all back.

Thanks again fellow Boardsies! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sky: you own the gear from day 1. They subsidize install so early termination costs you the subsidy. Sky / NDS own the viewing card forever.

UPC/NTL/Chorus: They always owned all the gear from day1 till forever.

watty wrote: »
    Sky: you own the gear from day 1. They subsidize install so early termination costs you the subsidy. Sky / NDS own the viewing card forever.

UPC/NTL/Chorus: They always owned all the gear from day1 till forever.

this is correct, this also means UPC will replace faulty equipment at any time even 5 years on whereas sky equipment is only guaranteed for the first year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby_Woo

That's interesting to note, never knew that!

It's true what they say, you do learn something new every day!

Thanks guys!

Runs Cold wrote: »
    UPC will collect the equipment ( it is theirs always)
    You will recieve a termination bill which will indicate any credit due back to you.
    they may have arranged early termination to avoid you going into a new months bill run.

so, posters saying not to hand back equipment etc are complicating your disconnection.

Are you writing this as a UPC spokesperson?

UPC's "small print" as they call it states:
    After the Minimum Period expires this Agreement will continue until it is terminated by either of you or us giving the other one month’s prior notice. You must pay all relevant Charges up to the end of that one month notice period.

The op has given UPC a months notice (and paid accordingly) so the date of termination is one month after the giving of notice.
    On termination of this Agreement, or on cancellation of any Services or Packages requiring Equipment, you shall within fourteen (14) days of the date of termination or cancellation, unless otherwise agreed with us, arrange for us to collect at your residence at no cost to you or return to us in our offices at your own expense, the Equipment.

So in accordance with their own "small print" UPC should be collecting the equipment within 14 days after the termination of the agreement not 14 days after the notice of termination.

There is no mention of a "termination bill" in the small print.

If UPC collect the equipment before the end of the contract then they will be breaching their own terms and conditons but there again that is nothing new for them.

So in view of UPC's own terms and conditions how exactly are posters complicating the disconnection?

a termination billm is the final bill issued. example if last bill was running after point where sub disconnected it would be incorrect, so a final bill aka termination bill is issued when the sub is disconnected. the final bill will show the exact amounts due as it is calculated to disconnection date. I advised allowing upc to collect equipment as there can be charges for unreturned equipment ( thats in the terms in conditions as well)

• Advertisement

a termination billm is the final bill issued. example if last bill was running after point where sub disconnected it would be incorrect, so a final bill aka termination bill is issued when the sub is disconnected. the final bill will show the exact amounts due as it is calculated to disconnection date. I advised allowing upc to collect equipment as there can be charges for unreturned equipment ( thats in the terms in conditions as well)

And you ignored my question are you a UPC spokesperson?

If UPC collect this equipment then they are in breach of their own Terms and Conditions (but thats nothing new sadly:( ).

The customer has given notice in accordance with the terms and agreement. Has paid accordingly - in those circumstances UPC have no right to take back the equipment irrespective of the fact they may own it until after the agreement ends and thats not for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭versager

From my own experience I can say following: cancelling the service might be a piece of cake, however returning the original equipment (modem and cable)
    took - and no I don't lie - 6 months altogether:eek:
    I was contacted at least 3 times by 3 independent UPC contractors to make an appointment, I was at work in all cases, their cooperation sucked a big time. The fourth guy was responsible and communicative enough to find a way to me as I left the equipment packed in a box in front of my apartment's door.
    6 freaking months:eek: after the cancellation was confirmed by them.
    Oh and btw. I had to call their "great" customer service to send out a contractor to collect that damn thing at least 20 times...even received a text message saying I'd have to pay for not returning the equipment myself.
    Funny company that UPC eh:pac:
    Just my 2 cents...

I am not representing UPC in this matter as I have not even seen the account (nor is My function to deal with these matters ).
    I had suggested the reasons why I think the disconnect was brought forward and it makes sense to me as the OP wished to disconnect.
    I also pointed out the reasons why holding onto equipment which serves no use after disconnect is a bad idea, I posted the info to help the OP as I could see the problems some of the advice being posted could cause.

I am not representing UPC in this matter as I have not even seen the account (nor is My function to deal with these matters ).
    I had suggested the reasons why I think the disconnect was brought forward and it makes sense to me as the OP wished to disconnect.
    I also pointed out the reasons why holding onto equipment which serves no use after disconnect is a bad idea, I posted the info to help the OP as I could see the problems some of the advice being posted could cause.

And what problems will it cause? the customer still has a contract with UPC until the termination date? How can there be problems unless upc break the contract by taking back equipment which the customer has alread paid for the right to use? In your scenario the only one causing problems is UPC.

If a car hire company hires out a car for a month they dont take it back in the middle of the month just because they own the car.

when the Op was contacted about collection he/she could have stated do not terminate me until end of month.

this seems the exact opposite of the usual compalints about not being able to terminate with immediate effect.

neither of us heard the conversation that took place, so I posted MY opinion
    I am correct about the bill for unreturned equipment.
    I cannot comment on this specific case and once again I posted info that should have helped the OP..

If the Op wants to hold service then contact UPC before the box is deprovisioned.

when the Op was contacted about collection he/she could have stated do not terminate me until end of month.

this seems the exact opposite of the usual compalints about not being able to terminate with immediate effect.

neither of us heard the conversation that took place, so I posted MY opinion
    I am correct about the bill for unreturned equipment.
    I cannot comment on this specific case and once again I posted info that should have helped the OP..

If the Op wants to hold service then contact UPC before the box is deprovisioned.

Why was the op contacted about the collecton of the equipment anyways? He gave a termination date and that should have been it. Does he have to keep giving a termination date?

The usual complaints have nothing got to do with this particular case.

And in this instance you are wrong about the bill for unreturned equipment.
    On termination of this Agreement, or on cancellation of any Services or Packages
    requiring Equipment, you shall within fourteen (14) days of the date of termination or
    cancellation, unless otherwise agreed with us, arrange for us to collect at your residence

at no cost to you or return to us in our offices at your own expense, the Equipment. If
    you fail to do so, we reserve the right to continue to charge you for the Services until the
    Equipment is returned or to charge you an unrecoverable equipment charge. You will be
    invoiced for the costs of repair or loss or damage to the Equipment under this Condition

Given that the termination date is 30th September as agreed with UPC the op has until the 14th October before any equipment charges could possibly kick in.

If UPC collect the ops equipment before 3Oth September they are breaching the Terms of their contract with him.

I did not mention dates re the unreturned equip I stated there is a possibility of a charge being levied for unreturned equipment ( Which is correct) and this was in reference to one post advising not to return equipment etc.

and as I have said I gave my opioion on why the dates were being shifted and this was to facilitate the customer bill run and as I said none of us actually heard the conversation and do not know what was agreed.

The sub wanted out gave notice and the sub is being disconnected, I gave an opinion on what I felt was happening and I posted the solution to extending the service run. where is your helpful imput?

I did not mention dates re the unreturned equip I stated there is a possibility of a charge being levied for unreturned equipment ( Which is correct) and this was in reference to one post advising not to return equipment etc.

and as I have said I gave my opioion on why the dates were being shifted and this was to facilitate the customer bill run and as I said none of us actually heard the conversation and do not know what was agreed.

The sub wanted out gave notice and the sub is being disconnected, I gave an opinion on what I felt was happening and I posted the solution to extending the service run. where is your helpful imput?

None of the posts recommending the non return of the equipment were unqualified. They recommended not returning it before termination date thats all. The equipment charge does not arise in that instance.

My input whether you consider it helpful or not was to point out that the op had complied correctly with the Terms and Conditons by giving a month's notice of his wish to terminate his contract. UPC had accepted that notification of termination and the final date was 30th of September.

I further pointed out that UPC have no right to collect the equipment before that date as the OP has paid for service up to 30th September.

So the earliest UPC can legitmately collect the equipment is 1st October by arrangement with the op.

It is quite instructive to read that UPC apparently consider it ok to break a contract and inconvenience a customer to facilitate their bill run!

I am saying if the collection is moved the termination date is moved as well I thought that would be obvious. iT would be more useful to wait for an update from the OP on what the contact centre say. I seldom see disconnections brought forward like this but there are circumstances where it can be done ( not related to the OP I am sure and No I can not give info on these circumstances at all before anyone asks)

I am now sinished giving My imputon this as Dub45 wants me to make some kind of offical liberty / upc statement on a disconnect for one sub where no facts are available to me.

I am saying if the collection is moved the termination date is moved as well I thought that would be obvious. iT would be more useful to wait for an update from the OP on what the contact centre say. I seldom see disconnections brought forward like this but there are circumstances where it can be done ( not related to the OP I am sure and No I can not give info on these circumstances at all before anyone asks)

What you said was:
    I gave my opioion on why the dates were being shifted and this was to facilitate the customer bill run
    I am now sinished giving My imputon this as Dub45 wants me to make some kind of offical liberty / upc statement on a disconnect for one sub where no facts are available to me.

Can you point out where I asked you to "make some kind of official
    liberty/upc statement"?

You took it on yourself to participate in the thread - no one asked you to.
    Based on your contribution I asked you were you an offical upc spokesperson.
    That was a perfectly legitimate request for your status and was not a request for a statement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

this is correct, this also means UPC will replace faulty equipment at any time even 5 years on whereas sky equipment is only guaranteed for the first year.

Just curious, does this apply to ALL UPC supplied equipment?

Anyway its clear Runs Cold that you have knowledge of how UPC works, so let me query this:

Are UPC aware that you are posting on boards.ie discussing their policys as its clear you are a UPC employee, I just ask because I've seen many a employee of a ISP get a warning from HR and/or being sacked for doing such things in the past.

If UPC want to help out users on boards they are free to contact Darragh and have an official rep.

While they may do this in the future they haven't yet done it so until the if people want to know about UPC policys I suggest you don't take it upon yourself to advise them (and it appears incorrectly) and instead people should use official channels.....they can even use twitter if they want @ http://twitter.com/WeAreUPC

Cabaal,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I couldn't make an arrangement to return equipment when I moved 2 years ago. I gave upc an address to pick it up from. They failed to turn up 9 times. I then had to move city so I left it with a relative who is also a upc customer in the same area and wrote to and rang upc to confirm.

UPC never collected it and never contacted me!

My relative gave the box back to me after a year and I contacted upc and they suggested that I give it to a upc van if I see one.

In the end I just gave up. They wouldnt give me an address other than a po box number and An Post won't deliver large items to those. They also have no public offices or any listed offices in Cork.

Its been in my attic now for two years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Solair wrote: »
    I couldn't make an arrangement to return equipment when I moved 2 years ago. I gave upc an address to pick it up from. They failed to turn up 9 times. I then had to move city so I left it with a relative who is also a upc customer in the same area and wrote to and rang upc to confirm.

UPC never collected it and never contacted me!

My relative gave the box back to me after a year and I contacted upc and they suggested that I give it to a upc van if I see one.

In the end I just gave up. They wouldnt give me an address other than a po box number and An Post won't deliver large items to those. They also have no public offices or any listed offices in Cork.

Its been in my attic now for two years!

When I cancelled, I phoned the day after two boxes died (1 PVR, 1 normal box) and they promised to collected and never showed,so a month later I called again, and again they did not show, and then the bill came for non-return of equipement, so i called again and again no show.

So when a month later, I got a threatening "non-payment" letter, I emailed them (harvesting every email address I could find on upc.ie) outlining the facts and complaining about the fraudulent charge and the stress and upset this was causing and also informing them of my daily "storage charges" if the equipment is not collected within 24hrs.

Email was sent at 7pm, they phone at 11am next morning to arrange collection and it was collected by 2pm...

Cabaal wrote: »
    Are UPC aware that you are posting on boards.ie discussing their policys as its clear you are a UPC employee, I just ask because I've seen many a employee of a ISP get a warning from HR and/or being sacked for doing such things in the past.

Indeed when I was a Mod *and* working for another company, but having contact with UPC at a senior level they were very anxious about posts by certain employees. The senior people *do* read posts here and on the cable TV subfroum also on occasion, so UPC are very likely aware of how boards policies work.

I never got any bills or demands for payment. I just think is a waste of a good dvr to have it sitting in the attic until it becomes obsolete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

watty wrote: »
    Indeed when I was a Mod *and* working for another company, but having contact with UPC at a senior level they were very anxious about posts by certain employees. The senior people *do* read posts here and on the cable TV subfroum also on occasion, so UPC are very likely aware of how boards policies work.

its just a shame they dont take any hints and improve their customer service...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Cabaal wrote: »
    Just curious, does this apply to ALL UPC supplied equipment?

Anyway its clear Runs Cold that you have knowledge of how UPC works, so let me query this:

[/url]

What policies are being discussed by Run Cold that irk you so much?

The user agreed with the comment about Sky and their hardware vis a vis UPC's hardware and replacement of broken equipment. Anyone who reads the T&C's should be able to glean that info.

If that's what you're referring to, well all I'll say is God help anyone who wants to help outside office hours.

It's not exactly a trade secret, is it?

What policies are being discussed by Run Cold that irk you so much?

The user agreed with the comment about Sky and their hardware vis a vis UPC's hardware and replacement of broken equipment. Anyone who reads the T&C's should be able to glean that info.

If that's what you're referring to, well all I'll say is God help anyone who wants to help outside office hours.

It's not exactly a trade secret, is it?

I think Cabaal is simply pointing out that some isps do not take kindly to employees participating on boards.ie in a manner which allows them to be identified as employees of the isp concerned.

Does anyone actually know where I can return that UPC box to ?

I'm kinda thinking perhaps I should just let sleeping dogs lie, as it's been over 2 years now and they've never been in touch since and never made any attempt to charge me for it or ring me looking for it or anything. I just moved house, stuffed it into the attic and quite honestly haven't thought about it since. I don't have time to be chasing cable company vans frantically waving my old set top box :D

It just seems a waste of hardware though.

• Advertisement

There is a physical office at Roxboro, Limerick :)

Advertisement