Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats with the name changes?

Options
  • 08-09-2010 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

On the new bypass the roundabouts are called ArdAn, not Arden, CappAncur, not Cappincur, CloncollOg, not Cloncollig....why?!
    Why change the area spellings after all these years? Or did no one write them down for them? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Its cat isnt it? I posted here before about the sign at Arden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I think the people who do those signs are actually illiterate (she says not being able to spell it herself!).

On Offaly street, Its spelt "Offally street" but in irish its straid Uibh Fhaile. :?

Those bypass signs really get on my wick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

What ive heard is that the construction company were from NI, and thats why the spelling is wrong. But seriously, did no one give them the exact spelling on a piece of paper?! Did they just call it out to them over the phone, and hence it was lost in translation?!

Aaaaaardaaaaaaaaaaan! :p

Thought its quite possible someone made the decision to change the spelling without asking/informing the locals! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

As a matter of interest how much are we paying for those signs each ? ( to the nearest hundred will suffice ;) ) I wonder are they made here, the UK or China.

They should definately be replaced with the correct spelling. It's embarrasing that they could actually screw so many signs up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭PaulieG

It's either an embarrassing cock-up, or they've purposely used the old names. Believe it or not, if you look at any old ordnance survey maps of Tullamore, those three areas are actually spelt Ardan, Cappancur & Cloncollog. The same thing happened years ago when the Arden View signs were erected with the spelling 'Ardan View'. I think the council in true BallyGoBackwards fashion decided 'Ah sure feck it, we'll leave them."
    Of course this begs the question, why the hell did they ever bother changing the spelling in the first place?? They've erected signs reading Cloncollig Housing Estate and now Cloncollog Roundabout beside it! D'Uh! Someone should write a comedy based on Tullamore Town Councillors. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

And where did "Tullamore North" and "Tullamore South" come from?
    When I saw them first on the bypass I did not know which way to go.

I know PT McWilliams had the contract n all, but AFAIK it was Celcis Doolin ie County Council who put up the cloncollig and cappincur signs. Its a load of **** folks, but im not worrying. Its in tullamore, and halloween is coming up.

Essexboy wrote: »
    And where did "Tullamore North" and "Tullamore South" come from?
    When I saw them first on the bypass I did not know which way to go.

Thats cos its so big obviously. Jesus, it must have took me 30 mins to walk from tullamore south to Tullamore north one night.

Northsider here, budd.
    They've completely complicated the entire screggan/blueball road too. Never thought I'd see the day I'd be lost in mucklagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭PaulieG

Ah yes, I love those Tullamore North & Tullamore South signs!
    Tullamore is the new Dublin and I'm a Southsider. The Grand Canal is the new Liffey and the Kilbeggan Bridge is the new O'Connell Bridge.
    Bleeeding Northsiders!:)

PaulieG wrote: »
    Someone should write a comedy based on Tullamore Town Councillors. :)

Scene ( I ) Idea mooted to plant a tree

Scene ( II ) Council chambers, councillors discuss said 'tree'

Scene ( III ) Eve of tree planting.

Scene ( IV ) Tree planting ceremony

Scene ( V ) Gala tree planting banquet in Town Hall

Scene ( VI) Council chambers, review of photographs in local Papers

Finale ( tbc)

;)

Scene ( I ) Idea mooted to plant a tree

Scene ( II ) Council chambers, councillors discuss said 'tree'

Scene ( III ) Eve of tree planting.

Scene ( IV ) Tree planting ceremony

Scene ( V ) Gala tree planting banquet in Town Hall

Scene ( VI) Council chambers, review of photographs in local Papers

Finale ( tbc)

;)

What about Scene IIa - councillors send deputation to the Minister to obtain grant for tree? ;)

Essexboy wrote: »
    What about Scene IIa - councillors send deputation to the Minister to obtain grant for tree? ;)

You might be straying into ' Mise en abyme ' territory there, it's really a special designated 'grey' area with no FOI getout clause, nobody really knows what goes on behind closed doors. I think it best if we just have the delegation arrive back from the jaunt to the Minister and arrive straight in to the beginning of Scene (IIa) to announce their good news, perhaps clutching their Tree voucher for Woodies. ;)

You might be straying into ' Mise en abyme ' territory there, it's really a special designated 'grey' area with no FOI getout clause, nobody really knows what goes on behind closed doors. I think it best if we just have the delegation arrive back from the jaunt to the Minister and arrive straight in to the beginning of Scene (IIa) to announce their good news, perhaps clutching their Tree voucher for Woodies. ;)

:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

Northsider here, budd.
    They've completely complicated the entire screggan/blueball road too. Never thought I'd see the day I'd be lost in mucklagh.

Oh thank God for that admission - I got lost in Pollagh last week (can't blame the new road layout, the last new road through there was the Esker Ridge).
    The shame:o

merengueca wrote: »
    Oh thank God for that admission - I got lost in Pollagh last week

Do they have roadsigns in pollagh yet??
    I think there is one, an arrow with 'fastest route out'

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Do they have roadsigns in pollagh yet??
    I think there is one, an arrow with 'fastest route out'

It's probably turned the wrong way round anyway :D

Advertisement