Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Darkroom equipment, need help!

• 08-09-2010 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Hey. Basically I am an art teacher and have decided to convert an old unused classroom into a darkroom and teach the class how to develop pinhole photographs. A challenge i know, but as i spent my final year in college engrossed in the process, i feel ok about handling 27 students in a darkroom:p

Anyway, my problem is finding a reasonable supplier for chemicals and the like. Got onto "Barker photographic equipment" in Cork and was speaking to a very nice lady who said that she would send me on a quotation for everything i was asking for and would make sure that they were also the most economical seeing we are a school. I got the email from her, everything looked great so cleared it with my principal to go ahead with it.

When i rang up today a man answered and told me he wouldn't take my order as it was a once off purchase and would only consider it if i were paying by credit card. Obviously this is not an option as the order is well over 500eur and funnily enough i don't think i could come up with the money for it. I asked if i could pay by cheque and he said that it would take a week to clear and the order would only be put through after that. That sounds reasonable alright but i felt he could have just invoiced the school. Anyway he didn't really want to talk to me anymore and pretty much said he didn't need my business.

So i am just wondering if there is any reasonable photographic supply shop people have had dealings with that would supply all the necessary equipment for a darkroom (safe light, paper, chemicals, dev. trays etc.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

You could try Gunns, or order off the internets (mainly UK), you could ring one of the colleges for advise (DIT/IADT) they do a degree course in photography, talk to the head of dept.

All else fails, you could try http://www.solargraphy.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=15

by the time its done you dont need any chemicals.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I don't actually live in cork, but I was under the impression that Barkers actually had an OK reputation. It sounds as though that second employee you were dealing with treated you rather shabbily.

As a first resort, I would get back onto them and specifically ask to speak to the person you were talking to the first time round. It sounds as though she was more than happy to deal with the order.

If that falls through, then, as I said I'm unfamiliar with cork but I'm sure there are other places in cork that could source the stuff. If you were in dublin then I'd recommend Gunns without hesitation, you'd come away with all the gear, a barrel of advice, and maybe even free ice cream :-)

And as an aside, may I say that I think its a fantastic idea. In a time where most people seem to think you need hundreds of euros worth of electronics and that you have to throw it out and start over every year, getting back to first principals is very important. All you *really* need is a light tight box and something sensitive to light. Everything else is down to the photographer :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

That's quite surprising about Barkers, the staff I've talked to in there are really nice and very helpful.

Give them a ring again, and see if you can get on to either of the two ladies in the office. They'll help you no end.

Also, I'll agree with Daire, it's a fantastic idea, and well done for going ahead with it. Another thing to have a look at is cyanotypes, especially for the younger years - The chems are relatively harmless, and you don't need the darkroom - You can make your exposure on a sunny day.

All the best with it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Paddy Barker is often on this forum. I have sent him a PM to alert him to this thread. Hopefully he can shed some light on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

I'm also surprised about how Barker's delt with you. Gunns regularly supply colleges with equipment, films, chemicals etc. so try them if no luck with Barker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

Definitely give Gunns a ring, I have only ever had a positive experience independent of the amount of money I was spending (from 5 euro to over 2000) they have been pleasant and answered every query I had.
    They also post supplies which is handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Thanks a million lads. Will give Gunns a try tomorrow. :)

Please don't think i was complaining about Barkers, I can fully understand why they may have these rules regarding once off orders. I can imagine that currently businesses are more vigilant about who they choose to do business with. I was just keen on giving them my business as they are a local shop and the lady was so helpful to begin with.

Thanks again. All going well the darkroom should be in running order soon!
    Also thanks for the information on cyanotypes Fajitas!;) Very helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

rebel10 wrote: »
    Please don't think i was complaining about Barkers, I can fully understand why they may have these rules regarding once off orders. I can imagine that currently businesses are more vigilant about who they choose to do business with. I was just keen on giving them my business as they are a local shop and the lady was so helpful to begin with.

Still, they're usually so helpful and encouraging that it was a bit surprising. I can't imagine Barkers having a problem with doing business with you, and as you said, it's a local shop - Your custom will benefit the students and the shop. Do give them another shot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

An update lads,
    Rang Gunns today, i asked them to price everything i needed and everything was more expensive than Barkers. I would have ended up spending about 100eur more for the same products. My principal would have told me to abandon the whole thing.
    Just got a message from Paddy Barker to say that he hadn't fully understood that i was in a school and of course he would be able to put through the order.:)
    The best thing about this is the fact that i can give the money to a local company and secondly the products are set at excellent prices! Sounds like my experience with Barkers the other day was just a result of wires being crossed and i am glad that everyone here has had very good encounters with them. Thanks.:)

Advertisement