Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Budgie has suddenly gone very quiet

Options
  • 08-09-2010 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi

I inherited my sister's budgie about 2 months ago and he was always very noisy yesterday.

His name is Dexter, and my sister had him for about 10 years (she's not sure exactly). He's very healthy, good colour but he's just gone very quiet. He had a companion years ago who died and apparently, he was very aggressive to the other bird. I don't know if getting another companion for him is a good idea?

I've bought him new toys today and those honey sticks treats he loves, but after one quick nibble, he's now ignoring it. He seems to be trying to sing but no sound is coming out. He also seems to be very sleepy and will close his eyes and sway while I'm playing with him.

I'm completely new to budgies and afraid that this is old age. His poo looks normal, his cage is cleaned every day except today he didn't make a sound while I was doing it and normally he sings like crazy.

Any ideas? I'll be taking him to the vet tomorrow, but as he's never been handled I'm worried the vet my scare him.:confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

cardol wrote: »
    Hi

I inherited my sister's budgie about 2 months ago and he was always very noisy yesterday.

His name is Dexter, and my sister had him for about 10 years (she's not sure exactly). He's very healthy, good colour but he's just gone very quiet. He had a companion years ago who died and apparently, he was very aggressive to the other bird. I don't know if getting another companion for him is a good idea?

I've bought him new toys today and those honey sticks treats he loves, but after one quick nibble, he's now ignoring it. He seems to be trying to sing but no sound is coming out. He also seems to be very sleepy and will close his eyes and sway while I'm playing with him.

I'm completely new to budgies and afraid that this is old age. His poo looks normal, his cage is cleaned every day except today he didn't make a sound while I was doing it and normally he sings like crazy.

Any ideas? I'll be taking him to the vet tomorrow, but as he's never been handled I'm worried the vet my scare him.:confused:

Thats a great age for a budgie, some live longer but most of them dont get past 10 years. If he has not been handled very much then the stress of being brought to the vet could kill him, if you think he is really suffering make sure its an avian vet who has experience of birds.

In the meantime, go out and get some millet sprays and hang them up right beside him and make sure you cover his cage at night and keep him very warm. Millet spray is very tempting to sick budgies. Leave water close by him also. Are you also sure it is definitely a he and not a she in case it is an egg bound hen? A blue cere may also mean a hen not in breeding condition. Some of the colour variations also dont go by the blue/brown cere.

You will find loads of budgie info on the site below, indeed if you register, the budgie experts will give you lots of advice.

www.budgerigars.co.uk/forum/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

Thanks Knine

I'm absolutely certain Dexter is male, his cere is very bright blue. I checked this 2 months ago when I first got him and it's still very blue.

Afaik, the vet I plan to bring him to tomorrow handles small animals - there are no actual "avian" vets in the book or online is this general area.

I'll also get him millet spray and see if that helps!:)

Advertisement