Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to force dealer to fix car?

• 08-09-2010 8:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭

Purchased on 05.08.2010 nice 02 volvo s60,after few months search, from one of the biggest county's second hand motor dealer.Dealer itself was wery nice and polite.Car at the day i looked at her(two weeks before purchase) had engine management light on and error saying "brake failure-stop safely".No nct.We agreed that i will give him week to pas nct,service it,valet,and remove all the faults.
    So after two weeks he called to me and said that the car is ready for collection.I traded in my old car and gave him another 3000 e.He gave my Mapfre freeway warranty for six months,and also i forced him to write down on reciept that he gives me 3 months dealer warranty for first three months.
    I noticed that all the above faults still on the dash.He said that he replaced abs sensors an they have to "bed in".He said that i should drive car for 100 miles and faults should clear off.i checked front weels an noticed that they have new brake calipers.so some work was really done i though to myself and happily drove home.
    After about 2 weeks(~400) miles none of the faults clear off from the dash so i drove to dealer.He said that his mechanic on holidays.After another 3 days i rang him again and he said he is too busy.And will collect car in 2 days time.Then i ring after another week he said that other mechanic on holidays and will collect car on monday.Up to this day i ring him atleast twice a week and he is promising to ring me back in half and hour and never does.Also saying that will take car tomorow or in two days time.Well you got the picture.Always making exuses.
    I have done some research on forums, and faults on dash could be due to faulty Brake control unit wich cost way over 1000e to replace!Also for all that time car squeeks very loudly.I can see that drive belt tensioner completely worn and needs to be replace.That what causes laud noises from engine.
    I called to him this monday to say that if he wont take car this week i will contact National Consumer Agency.He replied that car will be collected today.You guessed it-no collection was made even after few calls...Please also note that dealer is not SIMI registered... So i cant report him to Simi. So its been six weeks and he did not even bothered to look at the car.
    I am affraid that he wants to pass three dealer waranty months and leave everything with me.Mapfre waranty does not cover brake components and also has claim limit of 1200e.
    What should i do next? Contact consumer agency?Would they help?Go to solicitor? I have no idea how to force him to fix car...

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Go legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Are you far from dealer? Call out there, drop the car and demand a loaner car and agree a time that you can collect it fixed. Calling on the phone is of no use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Mandzhalas

EPM wrote: »
    Are you far from dealer? Call out there, drop the car and demand a loaner car and agree a time that you can collect it fixed. Calling on the phone is of no use
    been there few times.its 30 min drive. he saying that he would give me spare car but no point take it cause hi mechanic on holliday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I see no choice whatsoever here other than to hire a solicitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Purchased on 05.08.2010 nice 02 volvo s60, after few months search, from one of the biggest county's second hand motor dealer. Dealer itself was wery nice and polite. Car at the day i looked at her(two weeks before purchase) had engine management light on and error saying "brake failure - stop safely". No nct. We agreed that i will give him week to pas nct, service it, valet, and remove all the faults.

So after two weeks he called to me and said that the car is ready for collection. I traded in my old car and gave him another 3000 e. He gave my Mapfre freeway waranty for six monts, and also i forced him to write down on reciept that he gives me 3 months dealer warranty for first three months. I noticed that all the above faults still on the dash. He said that he replaced abs sensors an they have to "bed in". He said that i should drive car for 100 miles and faults should clear off.

i checked front weels an noticed that they have new brake calipers. so some work was really done i though to myself and happily drove home. After about 2 weeks(~400) miles none of the faults clear off from the dash so i drove to dealer. He said that his mechanic on holidays. After another 3 days i rang him again and he said he is too busy. And will collect car in 2 days time. Then i ring after another week he said that other mechanic on holidays and will collect car on monday.

Up to this day i ring him atleast twice a week and he is promising to ring me back in half and hour and never does. Also saying that will take car tomorow or in two days time. Well you got the picture. Always making exuses. I done some research on forums and faults on dash could be due to faulty Brake control unit wich cost way over 1000e to replace! Also for all that time car squeeks very loudly. I can see that drive belt tensioner completely worn and needs to be replace. That what causes laud noises from engine.

I called to him this monday to say that if he wont take car this week i will contact National Consumer Agency. He replied that car will be collected today. You guessed it - no collection was made even after few calls. . . Please also note that dealer is not SIMI registered. . . So i cant report him to Simi. So its been six weeks and he did not even bothered to look at the car.
    I am affraid that he wants to pass three dealer waranty months and leave everything with me. Mapfre waranty does not cover brake components and also has claim limit of 1200e.

What should i do next? COntact consumer agency? Would they help? Go to solicitor? I have no idea how to force him to fix car...
    See how much easier that is to read?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

^^^^

I was going to say paragraphs would make it easier to read, but I don't think the o.p's first language is English so I thought it might just be insulting.

Now if the o.p's first language is English, I guess I just insulted the hell out of him/her.

cloneslad wrote: »
    ^^^^

I was going to say paragraphs would make it easier to read, but I don't think the o.p's first language is English so I thought it might just be insulting.

Now if the o.p's first language is English, I guess I just insulted the hell out of him/her.
    [/QUOTE

english not my first language so im not insulted at all :)

fluffer wrote: »
    I see no choice whatsoever here other than to hire a solicitor.
    but do i need to hire a solicitor if i will go small claim court way? or i will be better off with solicitor,as he knows law best? I think they very pricey though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Print 100 leaflets detailing your issues and proceed to hand them out to customers visiting his premises, he will then fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Was the NTC passed as he promised?
    Make all contact with him written, and keep copies.Keep records of previous conacts with him if you can. Officially inform him of the issues and that you are reporting them within the warranty period. Send by registered post.
    Then bring car in and demand it is fixed to your satisfaction. If no mechanic is available, insist on a loaner car.
    I would say if not sorted in next week or 2, contact a solicitor.

• Advertisement

Mandzhalas wrote: »
    Purchased on 05.08.2010 nice 02 volvo s60,after few months search, from one of the biggest county's second hand motor dealer.Dealer itself was wery nice and polite.Car at the day i looked at her(two weeks before purchase) had engine management light on and error saying "brake failure-stop safely".No nct.We agreed that i will give him week to pas nct,service it,valet,and remove all the faults.
    So after two weeks he called to me and said that the car is ready for collection.I traded in my old car and gave him another 3000 e.He gave my Mapfre freeway warranty for six months,and also i forced him to write down on reciept that he gives me 3 months dealer warranty for first three months.
    I noticed that all the above faults still on the dash.He said that he replaced abs sensors an they have to "bed in".He said that i should drive car for 100 miles and faults should clear off.i checked front weels an noticed that they have new brake calipers.so some work was really done i though to myself and happily drove home. ..
    phill106 wrote: »
    Was the NTC passed as he promised?

If the car had not been NCTd and still had the faults on the dash light I'm amazed you took it off him. If you did the dealer reckons you are a total and utter numpty and is treating you as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Just on the warranty situation, I deal with mapfre weekly, all my warranty is done through them. The dealer is obliged to cover the first 2 weeks of your warranty so if anything goes wrong within that time its up to him, anything after and its up to mapfre. the fact that your car was givin out with faults and it now looks like he is trying to pass it off to mapfre which is a big NO NO and can result in mapfre refusing to deal with him again.

Only thing a solicitor will do that the small claims court will not is cost you a fortune. Small claims is only a couple of hundred which will be awarded back to you if win your case. He sounds like a right pr!ck to deal with and i wouldn't stand for it.

I think the registered letter outlineing everything you want done to the car and saying you will call in 2 days after the letter arives and if you are not satisfied you will be going to small claims court would be your best idea as all he is doing is fobbing you off.

After all that ring mapfre and screw him over with them. 1890 882 511

Hope it works out for ya

EDIT: Atlantic Dawn, i just noticed your idea about the leaflets, good idea! Id do it on a sat and get a group of friends to help and Plaster them all over the area too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The small claims court will only deal with claims that do not exceed €2000, so the small claims court is not the way to go unfortunately. It's Solicitor time imo.

The small claims court will only deal with claims that do not exceed €2000, so the small claims court is not the way to go unfortunately. It's Solicitor time imo.
    I didn't mean to get her money back but to get the car fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I really can't understand why you took the car when the engine management light was still on :confused:. You should have walked away at that point.

Anyway, as the lads have been saying, threaten legal action, if he still doesn't sort it, then get legal help

Bryn wrote: »
    I really can't understand why you took the car when the engine management light was still on :confused:. You should have walked away at that point.

Anyway, as the lads have been saying, threaten legal action, if he still doesn't sort it, then get legal help
    He spun the OP a yarn about the faults resetting themselves after 100 miles, Obviously knowing nothing about cars the op took his word for it and trusted him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

esel wrote: »
    See how much easier that is to read?

Why dont you write it out for us in another language for us while you're at it. I'll have it in Greek please :mad:

Bloody hate the grammer police. The chap is telling a story of woe and you're correcting his writing. The only help you are in here is to demonstarte how useless you are to anybody with a motor related problem. :cool:

He spun the OP a yarn about the faults resetting themselves after 100 miles, Obviously knowing nothing about cars the op took his word for it and trusted him

Really? I never would have got that after reading the original post :rolleyes:

I do feel sorry for the OP getting sold a lemon, but some common sense needs to be used in these cases

I really can't understand why you took the car when the engine management light was still on :confused:.
    so why ask a question thats already been answered????
    Really? I never would have got that after reading the original post :rolleyes:

I do feel sorry for the OP getting sold a lemon, but some common sense needs to be used in these cases
    Agreed but just because you or I understand these things does not mean everyone does

Saab Ed wrote: »

Bloody hate the grammer police. The chap is telling a story of woe and you're correcting his writing. The only help you are in here is to demonstarte how useless you are to anybody with a motor related problem. :cool:

Bit harsh really, the post was a ball ache to read. Surely a chap like yourself working in the trade selling cars can advise the OP on the correct course of action to take :)

As a follow on, Esel would be one of the helpful folk knocking about on boards from what I,ve gathered.

• Advertisement

so why ask a question thats already been answered????

I don't see any question there? Care to enlighten me to were I asked a question?

Agreed but just because you or I understand these things does not mean everyone does

It's not about understanding these things or knowing about cars, it's about common sense.
    Would you go to a DIY store and buy a drill that has a warning light flashing on it even though the salesman said it would go off after a bit of use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Why dont you write it out for us in another language for us while you're at it. I'll have it in Greek please :mad:

OK, calm down. Take a deep breath.

P.S. it's "demonstrate", not "demonstarte". :p

I don't see any question there? Care to enlighten me to were I asked a question?

It's not about understanding these things or knowing about cars, it's about common sense.
    Would you go to a DIY store and buy a drill that has a warning light flashing on it even though the salesman said it would go off after a bit of use?
    Ya said ya cant understand why she took the car when she had already said why she took it! anyway no biggie.

I wouldnt buy the drill no but im sure someone would! Look iv delt with people in situations like this and believe me some people will believe anything they are told if they have no reason not to trust the dealer and have no clue about cars, it happens even to people full of common sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

-Chris- wrote: »

OK, calm down. Take a deep breath.

P.S. it's "demonstrate", not "demonstarte". :p

It's also grammar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

RoverJames wrote: »
    Bit harsh really, the post was a ball ache to read. Surely a chap like yourself working in the trade selling cars can advise the OP on the correct course of action to take :)

As a follow on, Esel would be one of the helpful folk knocking about on boards from what I,ve gathered.

+1

Sorry esel but I just felt you were a little rough on a guy who was already having a sh!t time with a car dealer , lets not scare him off from here too.

Again sorry to esel.

+1

Sorry esel but I just felt you were a little rough on a guy who was already having a sh!t time with a car dealer , lets not scare him off from here too.

Again sorry to esel.

:D

Seriously though is there any way aside from those mentioned to sort out dodgy dealers ? I always reckoned there wasn't so aside from landing there with 3 of the most unsavoury lucking lads I know I wouldn't have a clue how to deal with one.

RoverJames wrote: »
    :D

Seriously though is there any way aside from those mentioned to sort out dodgy dealers ? I always reckoned there wasn't so aside from landing there with 3 of the most unsavoury lucking lads I know I wouldn't have a clue how to deal with one.
    My brother had a a similar problem last yr with a well known dublin dealer, ended up goin the small claims route and took months for the guy to pay out. There are some proper cowboys out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Go and see a solicitor asap.

Atlantic Dawn --- Fantastic idea, I bet these cowboys wouldn't be long in sorting out the problem. If I was going to a dealer and was handed a leaflet, I would head straight back out:)

Go and see a solicitor asap.

Atlantic Dawn --- Fantastic idea, I bet these cowboys wouldn't be long in sorting out the problem. If I was going to a dealer and was handed a leaflet, I would head straight back out:)

You'd have to be very careful how you did that though to be honest, or a solicitor could be set on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Ryan T

Print 100 leaflets detailing your issues and proceed to hand them out to customers visiting his premises, he will then fix it.

Whatever you do don't follow this advice

Advertisement