Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Program need to look for memory leaks

• 08-09-2010 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭

Program need to look for memory leaks. Currently 3.44GB of RAM being used, only have Opera open with only this page open. Task Manager says that opera.exe is using 209MB's (also the program using the most RAM). A reboot solves it, but it just builds up again, and the machine goes slow. Virus scan is ran daily.

RAM usage now at 3.54GB, and climbing :(
    CPU usage somewhere between 1% and 4%

H/W specs in my sig. Windows 64bit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Windows Superfetch?
    Basically Windows guesses what it thinks You might need and loads it into ram. There's no point in having lots of empty ram, unless You're getting out of memory errors I wouldn't worry about it, although 3.5Gb is lots, maybe its caching a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

^^ Agreed, chances are its Superfetch

If youre using windows Vista or 7 you can see whats using ram using TaskManager/Performance/Resource manager, that will show everything except what superfetch uses( as far as i remember ive it turned off ).

Also check Task Manager/Performance and for Physical memory what is Cached

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Also check Task Manager/Performance and for Physical memory what is Cached
    Physical Memory (MB)
    Total 4094
    Cached 464
    Available 464
    Free 50

Kernal Memory (MB)
    Paged 234
    Nonpaged 2657

=-=

I don't run anything regularly. System is very slow because of the usage. It's now at 3.47GB. In about 2 hours, the computer was doing nothing (I was getting pizza), so I've no idea what is causing this. LANing at the weekend, so want to get this sorted before then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Applied http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=979444&kbln=en-us as some people have found this to fix a problem with the kernal memory.

Kernal Memory Paged is now 266MB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You've prob not got time but my advise is to reinstall.

Then when You've a fresh install with all drivers, updates and basic software, move Your documents, music and pics etc to another drive so Your c drive is just Windows. Defrag the c drive, then get a good imaging utility like Acronis so You can make an image of that fresh install to save somewhere to reinstall from in minutes. I can reinstall with all drivers and updates in less than 10mins :D All my games get installed on another drive and all work by just sending a shortcut back to the desktop. I reinstall from image every few months to keep my OS snappy and do a full install with the release of a new OS or service pack, I'll make a new image when Win 7 service pack 1 gets released

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

the_syco wrote: »
    Physical Memory (MB)
    Total 4094
    Cached 464
    Available 464
    Free 50

Kernal Memory (MB)
    Paged 234
    Nonpaged 2657

=-=

I don't run anything regularly. System is very slow because of the usage. It's now at 3.47GB. In about 2 hours, the computer was doing nothing (I was getting pizza), so I've no idea what is causing this. LANing at the weekend, so want to get this sorted before then.
    Your system looks good, usually cached mem can consume everything( drove me nuts with my old rig ), but whats showing in Resource monitor for memory? it looks like processes are consuming the rest iff it is as slow as you say. Also can you check cpu usage just in case

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

Advertisement