Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foals - The Olympia - Mon 15th Nov

Options
  • 08-09-2010 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Tickets go on sale tomorrow (9/9/10 @9.00am). Check out ticketmaster.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Thanks man, fairly sure I'll be going. Saw Foals at Benicassim after getting into both their albums and was not disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Already seen them twice this year. Do I want to go for the triple..?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I take it that if you have seen them twice in a year then they are worth seeing once.

Yes. Yes, you do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

hmm il be going to this

these guys are great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! seen them 3 times and they never get old

• Advertisement

A V A wrote: »
    hmm il be going to this

these guys are great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! seen them 3 times and they never get old

Sadly one day they, like all of us, will get old. But until the day they can no longer shimmy their zimmer frames onto a stage I will go to see them live :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    Sadly one day they, like all of us, will get old. But until the day they can no longer shimmy their zimmer frames onto a stage I will go to see them live :D

Even though im not a massive fan of foals but i agree in what you say and go see any band as much as you can before they get old

Even though im not a massive fan of foals but i agree in what you say and go see any band as much as you can before they get old

...or else you end up with the travesties akin to the Guns N' Roses gig...

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

Got my standing ticket, I have WAY too many gigs to go to during November and December!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I'd love to go but midweek gigs in dublin are a b@stard for me. They were amazing at the Picnic.

• Advertisement

Got 2 standing ... so now I've this, Two Door Cinema Club, Crystal Castles, Imogen Heap, Supertramp and Elton John coming up before Christmas :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 FuzzyLilLlama

hey, i really wanna go and last time i couldnt cause it was over 18's do you know if its over 18's this time and if the olympia are very strict on I.D thanks (:

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Epicness

hey, i really wanna go and last time i couldnt cause it was over 18's do you know if its over 18's this time and if the olympia are very strict on I.D thanks (:

yeah same=[ got my ticket anyway for this and will be 18 for it anyway! I'd imagine it wouldnt be as strict as the academy as its not really a club.. but dont take it from me!

I was at Flight of the Conchords and Biffy Clyro there over the last year, don't recall getting ID'd at either :)

I'm 99% certain the Olympia is basically all-ages, at least legally it is.
    I went to The Specials there with my 15 year old cousin and we had no problems.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

PeterTwo wrote: »

I'm more that 99% certain that you are wrong. There's a bar there, it's over 18's unless it's an all ages gig, where no alcohol will be sold.

If people <18 got in, they got lucky.

lordgoat wrote: »
    I'm more that 99% certain that you are wrong. There's a bar there, it's over 18's unless it's an all ages gig, where no alcohol will be sold.

If people <18 got in, they got lucky.

That's not how it works dude.
    If the bar area is in a different room to the stage area then it can be ok as long as there is security there too.
    I looked on Ticketmaster and there is no mention of it being over 18.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

ye thats not the way iv been seeing it at gigs in the olympia , i was at a underage gig twice and they had the bar open but there were two security guards asking for id.

That's not how it works dude.
    If the bar area is in a different room to the stage area then it can be ok as long as there is security there too.
    I looked on Ticketmaster and there is no mention of it being over 18.

I've looked at ticketmaster and see no mention of it being under 18. If you look at a few other gigs it also gives no mention of an age limit. Generally all gigs are over 18 unless advertised.
    A V A wrote: »
    ye thats not the way iv been seeing it at gigs in the olympia , i was at a underage gig twice and they had the bar open but there were two security guards asking for id.

If you go to an all ages show/under age show - yep this is what happens where possible.

They may turn a blind eye to it at some gigs, but to say it's legally all ages could not be more wrong.

I've looked at ticketmaster and see no mention of it being under 18. If you look at a few other gigs it also gives no mention of an age limit. Generally all gigs are over 18 unless advertised.

Well I took a look at my Specials ticket just there and it said 'under 16's must be accompanied by an adult.'
    I am VERY aware of the law you are referring to but there are loopholes around it for the bigger venues such as The Olympia and the O2.

• Advertisement

First you're 100% legally sure it's all ages.
    Well I took a look at my Specials ticket just there and it said 'under 16's must be accompanied by an adult.'
    I am VERY aware of the law you are referring to but there are loopholes around it for the bigger venues such as The Olympia and the O2.

Then you check your ticket and it's under 16's need an adult for one specific gig. Also the terms and conditions on a ticket are generally not event specific.

I've been going to gigs a very long time, the vast majority are over 18's but as i said a blind eye is often turned.

First you're 100% legally sure it's all ages.

Then you check your ticket and it's under 16's need an adult for one specific gig. Also the terms and conditions on a ticket are generally not event specific.

I've been going to gigs a very long time, the vast majority are over 18's but as i said a blind eye is often turned.

It's the same thing surely? If you're 15 or under you can just go in with a random adult.
    You are right, most venues are forced to have over 18's gigs due to the laws in place in Ireland but larger venues and theaters (Such as the Olympia and the new Grand Canal Theatre) ARE able to hold all ages (or whatever you want to call it)gigs and shows due to loopholes.

It's the same thing surely? If you're 15 or under you can just go in with a random adult.
    You are right, most venues are forced to have over 18's gigs due to the laws in place in Ireland but larger venues and theaters (Such as the Olympia and the new Grand Canal Theatre) ARE able to hold all ages (or whatever you want to call it)gigs and shows due to loopholes.

No it's not the same thing. Not even close. Venues aren't forced to be over 18's, they sell booze, that's the main reason. Booze - money.

The Olympia is one of the smallest venues in dublin. Less than half the size of the Grand Canal and about 1/5 the size of the 02. Any venue is able to hold an all ages gig regardless of their size.

To be honest i don't think you really know what you're talking about. And this thread has gone off topic enough, so we can leave it at that. If you want to continue this send me a PM. THanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 FuzzyLilLlama

thanks guys, seemed to have sparked up a big topic :P well, if i get the money ill get my ticket and go 18's or not (: oh and ill be 18 in a few months , not to pushed about the age was just curious because they didnt have it on there site

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

thanks guys, seemed to have sparked up a big topic :P well, if i get the money ill get my ticket and go 18's or not (: oh and ill be 18 in a few months , not to pushed about the age was just curious because they didnt have it on there site

I don't think you'll have a problem, unless Ticketmaster/MCD explicitly say it is 18s and over only. I never had trouble getting in to the Olympia or Vicar Street when I was under 18; I figure that was because the bars inside are located in separate areas to the stalls. That was a bit of time ago, but from what I've gathered that general policy hasn't changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I CAN GUARANTEE YOU THAT THIS WILL BE 16'S AND ID WILL NOT BE CHECKED.

Just decided i wanted to go today, love feed the rhino aswell, no standing left though. :o maybe maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Mr.S wrote: »
    Hate the Olympia for gigs though.

Really? I love that venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

The first two levels are fine, the upper circle is shocking, desperate sound quality up there

indiewindy wrote: »
    The first two levels are fine, the upper circle is shocking, desperate sound quality up there

Ya I was up there for a Specials gig, made what would of been insanity on the ground floor quite dull up in the heavens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I have seen 4 gigs and have been standing everytime. It was great sound 3 times. It can be hit and miss depending where your standing, which night. Every bandwill bring a different set up and it is not a venue for music. But i still love gigs in the olympia.

Advertisement