Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ramadan and nocturnal lifestyles

• 08-09-2010 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if there is provision in the Islamic faith for people with nocturnal lifestyles. As I understand it, fasting during Ramadan occurs from sunrise to sunset.

How do nocturnal Muslims observe Ramadan? Is there a set period during active hours that they can observe? Say the average daylight hours during Ramadan? I imagine this has been dealt with considering the types of work we undertake that do not rely on daylight hours.

Do Muslims just tend to avoid nocturnal lifestyles all together?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I think you mean people who live in latitudes where there are long hours of daylight or darkness. In which case they either follow the hours in Mecca or there are other equations they can follow which has something to do with following the closest city under a certain latitude.

If you mean by people who work at night, then well, they eat, go to bed during the day, wake up when its time to break their fast and could go back to work... I guess! You only fast during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭demonspawn

I think you mean people who live in latitudes where there are long hours of daylight or darkness. In which case they either follow the hours in Mecca or there are other equations they can follow which has something to do with following the closest city under a certain latitude.

If you mean by people who work at night, then well, they eat, go to bed during the day, wake up when its time to break their fast and could go back to work... I guess! You only fast during the day.

Yeah, I mean people who work at night. I was just wondering if there's a set number of hours for the fast or if it's just a matter of fasting during the time you work then break the fast when you are finished for the "day".

demonspawn wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean people who work at night. I was just wondering if there's a set number of hours for the fast or if it's just a matter of fasting during the time you work then break the fast when you are finished for the "day".

You fast from the first twilight before sunrise to the last twilight after sunset.
    Which is why it could be a problem in places where the sun never sets or sets only twilight never goes away. They need to follow other cities timings...

It doesn't matter if work during night or day, you fast during the daytime, so if you sleep during daytime, well, you've got it easy! (although you'ld need to wake up for prayer)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭demonspawn

You fast from the first twilight before sunrise to the last twilight after sunset.
    Which is why it could be a problem in places where the sun never sets or sets only twilight never goes away. They need to follow other cities timings...

It doesn't matter if work during night or day, you fast during the daytime, so if you sleep during daytime, well, you've got it easy! (although you'ld need to wake up for prayer)...

Ah, ok. I understand now. Thank you for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pcboy

Thanks everyone, I'll be praying at MH, Leeson Park :)

Happy Eid ul Fitr and Selamat Hari Raya

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

But..isn't Ramadan about making that sacrifice and the likes?
    If you live a nocturnal lifestyle then you're not making any sacrifice, are you?

SV wrote: »
    But..isn't Ramadan about making that sacrifice and the likes?
    If you live a nocturnal lifestyle then you're not making any sacrifice, are you?

Well Ramadan isn't just about giving up food during day hours for a month. It's about self purification. About spending maximum time in prayer and worship of god and giving up and bad habits/actions. Such as not lying, not dong anything that can be considered wrong or bad, being good to others and giving lots of charity.

So if a person works all night but at the same time restrains from all the bad/wrong things and gives charity and such, then he is still doing the right thing.

The sacrifice is not in food but in giving up many of your wordly desires and spend your time in worship and prayer and doing good deeds so that you can purify your soul.

Unfortunately most people now just give up food and forget about the rest.

Advertisement