Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's World Championships: Barbados

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

brillainat first 2 rounds but lucky enough to hold on. very sloppy from the american but put the pressure on n scoring points n ruining katies fluidity

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jaysus, I only saw the last round, me heart was in me mouth!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Wow that was incredible I really thought Katie had lost it at the end but she hung on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

My god. Taylor just hung on. I think that may be the last time she beats that
    girl. BTW, that girl looked like a little powerful man. Strength was her main weapon.

I just hope that this wasn't Katie's final? That bout will take a lot out of her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

She got caught with some big shots!!! But survived! Get on your bike more Katie!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Incredible fight, more exciting than any heavyweight fight over the last two years... She has got guts, you have to give her that..

Shades of Bernard Dunne.
    Skillful, but no chin. Cant handle a brawl.

Eh, she TOOK some whoppers, took them, not folded.....Chin?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

She was knackered and hanging on for dear life in the last.
    10-2 up after 2 rounds, 13-8 after 3 and into the 4th when the score went to 16-16 :eek:.
    Pulled out 2 smashing punches to lead by 2 and final now beckons.
    Have to ask how tired she is as the American only woke up in the 2nd minute of the 3rd rd.
    Great stuff for Katie and hopefully she'll make us proud.
    Let's see if RTE will show it on the TV?

The commentators were awful! not knowing how much a deduction was (2 pts) Katie lost 4.
    And they mixed up the fighters names!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Going to be a tough fight for Katie against the Chinese lady I thought she looked pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

That was absolutely amazing.. if the laptop wasn't on the couch next to me i would have been on my feet by the end! sensational stuff from Taylor! she was in a brawl and came through.

her opponent came at her at 100 miles an hour for the second half of the fight, but she dug deep, very very deep, used her experience in trying to slow the fight down (which she did well when under pressure), and to have the presence of mind to go on the offensive right at the end and score the deciding two points while absolutely out on her feet was absolutely amazing.

an absolutely stunning performance from taylor.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shoota

Unbelievable fight, in terms of class, shes so far ahead of everyone its incredible, but when the american came at her, she took a lot of hard punches, how she stayed on her feet at the end was incredible, brilliant stuff! :D

Shades of Bernard Dunne.
    Skillful, but no chin. Cant handle a brawl.

She took whoppers mr hunky dorey would have buckled under!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭LevelSpirit

walshb wrote: »
    Eh, she TOOK some whoppers, took them, not folded.....Chin?:rolleyes:

Took them my ass. Were you watching the same fight the rest of us were?
    If that went another round she was done completely. She didnt know where she was at the end.
    Id love to see more fights like that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

In bits after watching that - the last two rounds were very shaky but she held on and went on a run thank God to get the last two points. I was very worried until she did that - the American was like a mad bull - wild and didn't have the same skill at all but was going for it and gave it her all. She nearly got it too but thankfully Katie had something in reserves for the last flourish.

How long has she to rest before final? Didn't like the look of the Chinese opponent she will be facing - she had a great win tonight/didn't take much out of her. She'll be a lot fresher facing the final than Katie.. but no doubt who the better figher is!!

colly10 wrote: »
    ****, no stamina, very lucky there, thought she had it lost

Interesting point. It was the one area from what I have seen of Kaite that worried me, the stamina. BUT, lets not make out that it's bad. It is good, but a slight weakness I would say. Nobody is perfect

efb wrote: »
    She took whoppers mr hunky dorey would have buckled under!!!

Thats true

If that went another round she was done completely. She didnt know where she was at the end.

She knows how many rounds there are, she knew when to hold, she had the awareness to pick up the two points at the end.

expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

In fairness she only survived because she hung on to her opponent and stopped her boxing in the last minute, thankfully.

Anybody else think it was a bit worrying the way way she was deducted 4 points?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

The commentators were something else too. Where the hell did they find them!! They didn't even know that she was World Champion?! Have they any information at all in front of them that they can even read off!!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

It was mostly tiredness rather than being able to take the shots. She didn't have the stamina of the American. When you get beyond exhausted it takes little to put you down, that has little to do with chin

IF my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle....

what fight were you watching? She ****ing won, didn't she? So, she took them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

okidoki987 wrote: »
    In fairness she only survived because she hung on to her opponent and stopped her boxing in the last minute, thankfully. Anybody else think it was a bit worrying the way way she was deducted 4 points?

She boxed clever.. how she ended up so much more tired than the American is a worry though..

She knows how many rounds there are, she knew when to hold, she had the awareness to pick up the two points at the end.

expert.

Im not saying shes not a great boxer.
    She may have known how many rounds but there were but there is now way in hell she was measuring herself those last 2 rounds. She was knocked around the ring big time.

expert.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    In fairness she only survived because she hung on to her opponent and stopped her boxing in the last minute, thankfully.

Anybody else think it was a bit worrying the way way she was deducted 4 points?

I knew when she lost the first two, there would be 2 more. Katie clever enough not to hold anymore and face disqualification.

Gold certainly not guaranteed in London

Im not saying shes not a great boxer.
    She may have known how many rounds but there were but there is now way in hell she was measuring herself those last 2 rounds. She was knocked around the ring big time.

expert.

I am fairly certain she did, and if she wasnt sure her corner made her aware. A few big hits rattled her that would have floored far lesser boxers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Interesting point. It was the one area from what I have seen of Kaite that worried me, the stamina. BUT, lets not make out that it's bad. It is good, but a slight weakness I would say. Nobody is perfect

Ah no, in fairness if there was any girl to test the stamina it was the one she just faced. You can't be the greatest in all areas of the game. If she is to be beaten in the Olympics though I wouldn't be surprised if it's a result of her running out of gas.
    Watching her in the first 2 rounds though, she's even better than I remembered, so fast and slick

IF my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle....

what fight were you watching? She ****ing won, didn't she? So, she took them

So the fact she was battered around the ring and caved big time in the second part of the fight has no baring on the discussion .. just because she won? :confused:

Gold certainly not guaranteed in London

Been saying that for a while. Folks here getting cocky and over confident.
    She has been in very tough and close fought fights against the best women on earth. Nothing is a guarantee. Put it this way, would anyone bet the house on Katie even beating Underwood again?

This may be the best thing to happen to her. Keeps her hungry and committed and focused 100%

• Advertisement

So the fact she was battered around the ring and caved big time in the second part of the fight has no baring on the discussion .. just because she won? :confused:

The art of holding on is what seperates champions from nearly (wo)men

Advertisement