Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's World Championships: Barbados

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

So the fact she was battered around the ring and caved big time in the second part of the fight has no baring on the discussion .. just because she won? :confused:

You were put wide by colly regarding the stamina. Again, she TOOK the shots.
    Chin?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

She was 2 years younger than the American but not sure if that maked any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

walshb wrote: »
    Been saying that for a while. Folks here getting cocky and over confident.
    She has been in very tough and close fought fights against the best women on earth. Nothing is a guarantee. Put it this way, would anyone bet the house on Katie even beating Underwood again?

This may be the best thing to happen to her. Keeps her hungry and committed and focused 100%

The ruskies are keeping the girl that beat katie away from her before London.

She (Russian) will be the one to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

So the fact she was battered around the ring and caved big time in the second part of the fight has no baring on the discussion .. just because she won? :confused:

She didn't just win because of the lead she built up in the first two rounds though - she kept fighting and it was that won it in the end. She was shaken yes - but she did hang in there and she did land the punches that got her to the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭LevelSpirit

colly10 wrote: »
    Ah no, in fairness if there was any girl to test the stamina it was the one she just faced. You can't be the greatest in all areas of the game. If she is to be beaten in the Olympics though I wouldn't be surprised if it's a result of her running out of gas.
    Watching her in the first 2 rounds though, she's even better than I remembered, so fast and slick

She was immense in the first 2 rounds alright. I think it was more a case of the stamina being knocked out of her than her just getting tired though. If she hadnt got into the brawl and took those shots she could have continued as she started.

• Advertisement

She was immense in the first 2 rounds alright. I think it was more a case of the stamina being knocked out of her than her just getting tired though. If she hadnt got into the brawl and took those shots she could have continued as she started.

Now, there is a good post.

Though, I think from looking on the outside it can appear easier to us. She had to brawl, was forced to. Sometimes it happens whether you like it or not.

Cork_girl wrote: »
    She didn't just win because of the lead she built up in the first two rounds though - she kept fighting and it was that won it in the end. She was shaken yes - but she did hang in there and she did land the punches that got her to the final.

ehm, yes she did.
    What would the score have been had she not finished the second round 10 - 2 up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Was looking forward to her fight all day,first 2 rounds were a breeze for her,but she really showed her character when she was 16-16 ,some fighting spirit she has,amazing she could of easily lost it, but she didn't, which is why she's the best.

And the commentators were gas haha great laugh.

Though, I think from looking on the outside it can appear easier to us. She had to brawl, was forced to. Sometimes it happens whether you like it or not.

How is that different to my other posts? Wait til I talk to you again in the real world. I'll remind you of this post.
    I love Anonymity on the web :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

No, the Americans strength is in her conditioning, Katie's is in her skill and speed. When Katie was fresh the American couldn't get near her. As she tires the yank will start to takeover.
    Few fighters that Katie will face will have the stamina of the American and if she faces a fighter like that again she will win the early part of the fight and all that matters then is if you can hang on till the end.
    There's very little difference between being a great fighter and a champion, the American was a great fighter.

Katie is far from a cert for the olympics, i'd say she'd be favorite but the best boxer won't win the tournament every time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

ehm, yes she did.
    What would the score have been had she not finished the second round 10 - 2 up?
    What would have happened if the American had scored the equivalent of that round against her? Lots of "what ifs" but that isn't what happened. She held on and got the scores, lost points but got the win. It was damned close - but she showed her determination at the end.

Can't say I'm not worried - fair enough. I just think it's a bit harsh to say she didn't take the shots or didn't have stamina - it was a tough fight that having seen the first 2 rounds you'd have expected her to run through, but Underwood pulled her on it and credit to her for not buckling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Some fighters have little skill and arn't even great punchers. They'll get in though and take what you have to offer and keep pressing the pace and they will ware you down.

I'd see myself as having a very good chin, i'll get hit flush and it won't phase me and people will tell me after the fight that it was a tough fight with hard shots exchanged. If I get in against a guy who just does serious work though he'll ware me down, I won't be getting dizzy by his shots but him forcing me to work so hard will mean that by the end of the fight his granny would nearly drop me.
    I have a good chin but bad stamina and that what I could see in taylor.

When ye seen dunne being sent to retirement, it wasn't that he was getting tired or even a real accumulation of shots, it was just that being caught flush means lights out

I don't think any girl in the world would be capable of putting Taylor down with 1 shot or an accumulation. Press her and force her to work constantly and then land that shot and you might get a different outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭waterfordkick

that was a great exciting fight last night. I thing Katie was tired because of her struggle with her weight and having to maintain 60kg over the last week or so. Hope she recovers after that bout fast enough for the final today.

Remember, folks, that you can see Katie Taylor's final live on www.rte.ie/sport on Saturday night. The final will be on between 8pm and 8.30pm Irish time. You can also see the fight in full on RTÉ Two at 11pm, following Premier Soccer Saturday. Peter Collins will be joined in studio by Bernard Dunne. So keep it here on RTÉ Sport!

Less than a 24 hr rest for Taylor. This will be very difficult. I just hope she has something left in the tank after a real bruising and hellacious fight last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Hell of a scrap. She will take more from this one fight than the combined 90+ fights she has had before it. There is a huge gulf in class from the earlier rounds and she takes NOTHING from beating someone 20-1. It is very clear that she is not the finished article - far from it in fact. She has super quick hands, nice footwork and good balance. She picks her shots well and is a very slick tactician but her stamina is so far behind where it needs to be. She is tough as nails and we seen that when she had to dig really deep in the last 30 seconds but if she could only improve on her stamina it would make things soooooo much easier. Her two warnings were justified IMO but I also felt the yank should have been warned for chargeing. Another aspect of her game I would like to see her improve is her single shots, she gets most of her shots from the second & third punch in a combo. I know its easy to say but the yank was ripe for picking off as she was coming in with single shots but Katie relies on getting inside and working the combos making things much more difficult.

She is an immense talent but some aspects of her game need a bit more work and this particular fight hopefully sets out a rigorous training programme in the lead in to London. Hopefully she has something left in the tank for tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Didnt Katie hammer this chinese girl in the final 2 years ago? Surely Katie is still the favourite for tonights bout?

What happened to the girl who beat Katie earlier this year? Is she not competing in the world championships?

With regards London 2012, there is only 3 weights for women, as opposed to 12 or so in the Worlds, so there will be talented boxers either moving up or down to Katies weight. Is there anybody in particular that would be a real threat to her? Or are all the best boxers in Katie´s weight in the world championships as it is?

04072511 wrote: »
    Didnt Katie hammer this chinese girl in the final 2 years ago? Surely Katie is still the favourite for tonights bout?

What happened to the girl who beat Katie earlier this year? Is she not competing in the world championships?

With regards London 2012, there is only 3 weights for women, as opposed to 12 or so in the Worlds, so there will be talented boxers either moving up or down to Katies weight. Is there anybody in particular that would be a real threat to her? Or are all the best boxers in Katie´s weight in the world championships as it is?

Her last loss was to a very talented Russian who is not in these championships.

But, forgetting her, and even forgetting all the girls in this tournament. What about the many girls who COULD lace gloves up between now and 2012, what about all the girls who didn't enter these championships because they weren't YET ready. There is just endless chances for new and emerging talent
    to be ready for 2012, from all over the globe.

Katie has to think about EVERYONE, not just Underwood and those who have beaten her. 2012 is still far away, and who's to say Katie will even be there. Will she still be able to maintain that focus and commitment for two more years, considering she has been at the TOP for 5 yrs or so already.

I really hope the pressure and stress doesn't burn OUR Katie out. She showed me her class and character and heart last night. She is an inspiration, let us hope she keeps going

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Been saying that for a while. Folks here getting cocky and over confident.
    She has been in very tough and close fought fights against the best women on earth. Nothing is a guarantee. Put it this way, would anyone bet the house on Katie even beating Underwood again?

This may be the best thing to happen to her. Keeps her hungry and committed and focused 100%

the media might now keep things in perspective too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

yes. if your in against someone who is crude and physicially tougher than you then your stamina is going to be severly tested, as you probably won't have the strength after a while to keep them at a distance and box in your normal style. i think thats what happened in this contest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Just checked online, there's a lovely big tri-colour strategically draped over the balcony directly opposite the the main camera position. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

End of Round one 4 - 2 to Katie Taylor

8-2 in the second round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Someone left a bottle of gin in the commentary box...

(it's actually 10-2 after round 2)

Is this online or tv?

on rte.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Online here http://www.rte.ie/sport/livestreaming/live-sport.html

after 3 rounds 13-3 taylor

Someone left a bottle of gin in the commentary box...

(it's actually 10-2 after round 2)

I never said the end of round two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

18-5 great performance, boxer of the tournament

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I never said the end of round two.

I never said you did ;)

Great performance.. Still dont how she made it through last nite, but a brilliant win tonight... she's a class mover..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Well that was way too easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

Well, you DEFINITELY WOULD'NT tell Katie to make you a sangwich.........

WELL DONE, KATIE!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement