Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaming/photoshop build

Options
  • 08-09-2010 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Been a while since I build a PC so have picked some compatible pieces, looking for any glaring overkill/underkill.

want it for modern gaming but doesn't have to run at highest res/ but top of the range not required. Also for photoshopping, nothing too heavy initially but want to have the horsepower if needed for running/rendering photoshop effects.

have resale value lurking as a minor point and still be a decent machine 2 years down the road.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

i5-750 is now being phased out in favour of the newer and faster i5-760, which is about the same price ;)

Not a huge fan of Asus' recent budget mobos :o

You do know you're paying ~€40 over the odds for memory modules that light up, don't you? :p

Not a great GPU, stick with the GTX460, consumes a bit less juice while being faster and cheaper :p

Samsung F3 1GB is a better HDD.

You can get a better PSU for less... there's decent SuperFlower, Antec Earthwatts and XFX units that cost less for higher capacity...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dunlop

Thanks for all that. have redone it. had to lol at meself ;)
    new CPU
    new Harddrive
    New Ram.
    New PSU.
    Edit: Changed windows to the english version.

there were alot of gtx 460s can you recommend one? and also, what mother board would you reckon?

Thanks for the great feedback.

Ooh, didn't see that one, very cheap for a mid-quality, mid-range PSU even if its not modular! :D

There's also the Antec EarthWatts 650D for ~€65 and the 650W version of the Amazon for ~€70 (only reason I like it more than its little brother is because its actually got a decent review). The XFX gets a special mention for being a modular unirail Seasonic for under eighty squid, which is pretty mental given the prices of Corsair's mid-range PSUs! :D

Best GTX460 is the Gainward, because its cheap! :P Unless you want to wait for the Palit to come back in stock... And talking about out-of-stock Palits the 1GB version for €195 is pretty compelling - better memory bus, an extra render back-end and higher clocks all for ~€195... if it ever comes back in stock after selling out oh-so-fast :D:P

Final issue - I forgot to mention earlier that the OS is also wrong :o You need the English language version, as HWVS is after all a German website! :o:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dunlop

had changed the purchase for the English OS but not the screen grab, but thanks for keeping an eye out ;)

just on the Mobo, anything you'd recommend? not going to overclock or anything, but if it's really not good enough for the job I'll glady put the money saved from glowing RAM into a better motherboard :)

Do you want/need any special features, futureproofing, USB3/SATA3? If not then just pick up the cheapest appropriate MSI mobo. If you need USB3 or wifi then Gigabyte has the former covered and MSI the latter, both for around €95. Not sure if there are any cheap MSI LGA1156 mobos with USB3 let alone mATX versions...

• Advertisement
Advertisement