Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Americana - rural photos from 1939-43

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Already post...... Oh wait, these are not russian!

:) Cheers for the link, great photos :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Third Eye

Fantastic link..thanks. I'm so used to that period being black & white that these images take a bit of getting used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

mucho gracias

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Cheers, very interesting link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

I especially like the photo of the shop front with the big Coke logo on it. Really shows how timeless it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm fairly certain i've seen #61 before; not sre where it was though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

So strange to see this period in colour. Wonderful stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Not to be mean or anything, but do a lot of people in these pictures not look a bit... "odd"? I think they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

sNarah wrote: »
    Not to be mean or anything, but do a lot of people in these pictures not look a bit... "odd"? I think they do.

Well I dunno about odd but they certainly look different. Times were harsher so I guess you can say they look a little 'beaten' or 'worn down'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Suppose you're right. Just struck me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bugger - i can't remember the photographer - there's a famous b&w portrait of two farm workers, i think south african or australian, and they're both a little bet looking. anyone know the shot i'm thinking of? it's annoying me that i can't remember whose it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

sNarah wrote: »

I don't think that they look any more odd than modern day people living in the same circumstances. Esecially in the more rural areas of the US, where life probably isn't that much different now than it was then

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Amazing stuff. Thanks for that OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Wow, incredible collection of photos there, the colour just really brings them to life.

In keeping with the threas I was going to post a collection of photo's called Brutal New York but it seems the link isn't working anymore which is a real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭newbridgemom

great pictures! thank you for finding them. i'm american from pennsylvania and some of the rural scenes look like what you could still see today. for example the red barn and the farmers with carts (except the carts belong to the mennonites!).

wonder what kind of cameras they were using then? i'm tinkering with some old film cameras because i'm getting bored with digital. bought a zeiss icon and a welta weltini i'm excited to start to using. unfortunately i can't get my Petri 7 to work :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Me too - I suspect it was here : http://www.shorpy.com/
    i'm fairly certain i've seen #61 before; not sre where it was though.

Advertisement