Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pentax k1000 help!!

• 08-09-2010 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

im back to my fellow boardsies in my hour of need!!

ive just gotten into college studying photography and i need to get a film slr and from what ive read online the pentax k1000 is a good place to start but i am finding it hard to locate one, ive seen some for great prices on ebay that ship from the usa but i need it in 10 days and not sure if it will make it in time so... does anyone know where i can get one in cork or elsewhere (i can travel) for cheap and within 10 days..?

thanks for the input if there is any :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52434912@N03/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

There is plenty of other good manual SLRs. There is plenty of decent ones out there.

The old Minolta SR cameras

- Minolta SRT series, basic but decent
    - Minolta X500 - X700, more modern but still great.

Nikon F series or the FM series. Probably more expensive then the minolta because of more demand for them, but every bit as good as the minolta.

Pentax. There is tons of brilliant Pentax manual cameras apart from the K1000. The spotmatic or the ME.

Now if you are really, really stuck for a manual camera. There is a camera called the Phenix or something similar. Its a new knock off of one of the older pentaxs and it takes the K mount afaik. Its new in Gunns camera shop for 199 euros afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

All you need is a camera that lets you adjust the aperture and shutter manually. The K1000 is often recommended as it can be bought quite cheap but as pointed out above there are plenty of alternatives.

I have the ME Super myself which I think I picked up for about €60 on eBay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

try adverts.ie, lots of film dslrs available over there - many reasonably priced. a few pentax's too, but I don't see a k1000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    try adverts.ie, lots of film dslrs available over there - many reasonably priced. a few pentax's too, but I don't see a k1000

Aaaargh ! *brain explodes*

On a serious note though, I'd second this, look for 70s and 80s manual or aperture priority SLRs. Good examples of nikon ones would be FE/FE2, FM, FM2, FM10 and some others. These occasionally pop up on adverts for fairly reasonable prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

These guys probably have one. They're in the Czech Republic (Prague) and they're good.

http://www.fotoskoda.cz/

im back to my fellow boardsies in my hour of need!!

ive just gotten into college studying photography and i need to get a film slr and from what ive read online the pentax k1000 is a good place to start but i am finding it hard to locate one, ive seen some for great prices on ebay that ship from the usa but i need it in 10 days and not sure if it will make it in time so... does anyone know where i can get one in cork or elsewhere (i can travel) for cheap and within 10 days..?

thanks for the input if there is any :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52434912@N03/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

If it's any help I have a Canon EOS 100 film SLR which I will donate along with a Sigma 70-210 zoom. I have the original owners manual to go with it. You'll have to arange collection in Dublin though. All I ask is that you pass it on to someone else when you are done with it.

The EOS 100 is an autofocus 35mm film slr, with full Manual, Aperature priority, shutter priority and program exposure modes. It was pretty decent in it's day. Still is actually. Also any lens you acquire for it will work with Canon dslrs when you move onto digital.

If you can get your hands on a Canon 50mm f1.8 (the nifty fifty) to go with it you will be very well set up for college. They sell for around 75 euro on Adverts.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I know I'll probably given out for mentioning the following brands

but ricoh, chinon, centon, praktika(not k mount) should be pretty cheap on ebay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I know I'll probably given out for mentioning the following brands

but ricoh, chinon, centon, praktika(not k mount) should be pretty cheap on ebay

Love the old praktikas.....

So well built that you could bludgeon someone to death with one of them. :pac:

Your forgetting the Konicas aswell with the super awesome Hexanon lenses too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

i ordered one online from ebay, its an asahi version with an asahi 50mm lens!! cost me 60 euro, not bad price eh? :D

just hope it arrives in 10 days or less now lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

i ordered one online from ebay, its an asahi version with an asahi 50mm lens!! cost me 60 euro, not bad price eh? :D

just hope it arrives in 10 days or less now lol

Asahi and Pentax is one in the same, good luck with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

Asahi and Pentax is one in the same, good luck with it :)

yea but there is 3 different versions, the asahi one is the first kind with an all metal body manufactured in japan, then a second one with no asahi stamping on the metal made in china with a part plastic construction and then a third and even cheaper build quality one, so thats why i wanted the asahi version!!!

Advertisement