Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is PC Gaming worth it?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Auvers wrote: »
    any chance of your top 5 releases?

Sure, for me it has to be

AAaaaAAAaAaaAAAAAaaAAAAaaA!!! : A Reckless Disregard for Gravity
    VVVVVVVV
    Plants vs Zombies
    Machinarium
    Torchlight
    and by golly, I'm throwing Osmos in there too. So damn addictive.

Also, here's a fairly lengthy list of free games available to the pc. 90% of them is online, about 40% of them are MMORPGs, but there are plenty of other games of other genres that you definitely wouldn't find on a console, and if you did, you can bet your ass they wouldn't be free :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Heres a site dedicated to free to play games.
    Almost all have some form of ingame currency that you can purchase with real money, this is how they make their money.
    You can play them without spending a cent if you wish.

http://mmohut.com/

Ignore the mmo bit in the name, theres plenty of fps etc games there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

another good reason is that a lot of older games get released for free to the PC gaming community, you won't see too much of that on a console

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_commercial_video_games_released_as_freeware

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

First off I own a PC, hate consoles and have never owned one. So thats where I'm coming from. Surprisingly though I'm just posting because I think some PC gamers have been a tad dishonest with the alt-tab claim. Having played games on "Windows X.Whatever" for years I wouldn't dare alt-tab out of a game. No experienced gamer would. Steam overlay or dual monitor fair enough but alt-tabbing with one monitor causes games to crash far to often to list it as an advantage imo.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

mewso wrote: »
    First off I own a PC, hate consoles and have never owned one. So thats where I'm coming from. Surprisingly though I'm just posting because I think some PC gamers have been a tad dishonest with the alt-tab claim. Having played games on "Windows X.Whatever" for years I wouldn't dare alt-tab out of a game. No experienced gamer would. Steam overlay or dual monitor fair enough but alt-tabbing with one monitor causes games to crash far to often to list it as an advantage imo.

In my experience, I've only ever had one game crash when alt-tabbing. Also, Steam has an in-game browser overlay, and xfire also has this feature, so there's no need to alt-tab in the first place ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Just out of curiosity what spec is the laptop? CPU and graphics card and ram if possible, maybe the make as well.

Playing games on an old laptop vs a shiny new PC is like night and day.

No experienced gamer would? simply not true.
    I do it constantly and rarely get a crash to desktop and i use a single monitor.
    Most pc gamers i know of do so also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I sometimes run in windowed mode as a kind of F_CK YOU GRAPHICS CARD! FU_CK YOU RAM!!! EAT IT!!!! EAT IT ALL!!

I'm normal.

I also love the PC for fps, rts etc. Console for driving etc.
    The PC does everything better than a console, if M&Kb don't suit, grab a XBox controller. Logitec are restarting the PC joypad market actually. Happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Sure, for me it has to be

AAaaaAAAaAaaAAAAAaaAAAAaaA!!! : A Reckless Disregard for Gravity
    VVVVVVVV
    Plants vs Zombies
    Machinarium
    Torchlight
    and by golly, I'm throwing Osmos in there too. So damn addictive.

thanks played them all except Machinarium, I will give that a shot tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I wouldn't dare alt-tab out of a game

I've honestly found that you can alt-tab out of most games these days. I mean, for each game you can just try it - the worst that happens is that yo have to quit and restart.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Dcully wrote: »
    No experienced gamer would? simply not true.
    I do it constantly and rarely get a crash to desktop and i use a single monitor.
    Most pc gamers i know of do so also.

Fair enough. I've had enough crash that I simply don't bother and I certainly wouldn't list it as an advantage over other platforms. If you all do it so often that it's an advantage then I stand corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

Dustaz wrote: »
    Quoting this as the OP should actually read it instead of repeating the same "but what games is there" question.

OP, If you have to actually ask the initial question, you might be better off staying with console.

But it doesn't answer my question at all. I think you're just being awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Alt+tabbing is absolutely fine every time now on Windows 7, I never have any problems and I do it all the time. I did have some problems a few years ago with XP, but windows has improved lots, as has computer hardware

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Personally with all the hours spent on tweaking and playing mods on so many different games, I love it. Maybe it requires a little more patience and discipline but its well worth it in the end.

Shams wrote: »
    Personally with all the hours spent on tweaking and playing mods on so many different games, I love it. Maybe it requires a little more patience and discipline but its well worth it in the end.

Indeed its all part of the appeal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I find steams overlay horribly clunky but that doesn't bother me anyway since the only game I've bought in the last few years that I haven't been able to alt tab out of has been Arkham Asylum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭housemap

Yea totally worth it, as has been said it's not just the gaming it's a pc and can do anything

Alt tabbing as someone said, play a multiplayer game, take a break browse the web watch a movie play music whatever .

Plus you are at a desk so you can slouch and rest your face on your hand,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Its superior in every shape and form, online console gaming is for simpletons and dribblers :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

alt tabbing causes crashes??? I do be alt tabbing out of bloody Stalker to check MSN and it hasn't caused a crash in even that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The STALKER series alone is a fine reason to have a PC. Then there's stuff like Cryostasis, Mount & Blade, Dawn Of War series, Supreme Commander, the Thief series, Arma 2, Painkiller, The Witcher, Half-Life and all its wonderful and usually free mods (The Hidden and Dystopia are well worth a look, but there are so many more listing them would be impossible). And that's just the commercial games. I couldn't even suggest where to start on the indie/shareware front...

PC gaming is so much better value it's not even funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Team Fortress 2 is the best game ever made. This alone makes it worth it.

Currently, I'm completely addicted to Minecraft (http://www.minecraft.net/). When you first look at it, you think: how the heck can such a simply blocky game be such a success; the Valve guys are big fans of it - http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=4130 - and the developer is currently making so much money that PayPal blocked his account - http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103385-PayPal-Freezes-750K-in-MineCraft-Devs-Account. Check out the X's adventure series on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidr64yt

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

oceanclub wrote: »
    Currently, I'm completely addicted to Minecraft (http://www.minecraft.net/). When you first look at it, you think: how the heck can such a simply blocky game be such a success; the Valve guys are big fans of it - http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=4130 - and the developer is currently making so much money that PayPal blocked his account - http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103385-PayPal-Freezes-750K-in-MineCraft-Devs-Account. Check out the X's adventure series on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidr64yt

P.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Alt+tabbing is absolutely fine every time now on Windows 7, I never have any problems and I do it all the time. I did have some problems a few years ago with XP, but windows has improved lots, as has computer hardware

I dunno if this is true, I have Windows 7 and Mass Effect kept crashing the other day when I'd alt+tab. Luckily I have the Steam version and the new Steam in game browser is amazing, you can even have multiple tabs open.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Team Fortress 2 is the best game ever made. This alone makes it worth it.

That spy is a spy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

The last time i had a game crash while alt-tabbing was on a 1gig ram windows XP machine probably back in 2005. It doesnt happen anymore, if your PC is halfway decent.
    But anyway, yes PC gaming is worth the hassle, if you put in a bit of effort. Laziness might prevent you from experiencing something like STALKER's complete 2009 mod because 'mods are a pain in the arse' for your average console gamer who just wants a COMFY COUCH and whatnot to get to grips with, but youd be missing out bigtime. And its massive payoff for comparitively little effort.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The games are usually far cheaper as well than console releases so the price argument is rubbish.

And don't forget the free mods, of course. This one - a total conversion of Oblivion with a 50-hour plot - looks astonishing:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/13/oblivion-megamod-nehrim-in-english/

P.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

oceanclub wrote: »
    And don't forget the free mods, of course. This one - a total conversion of Oblivion with a 50-hour plot - looks astonishing:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/13/oblivion-megamod-nehrim-in-english/

P.

I managed to kick my oblivion addiction but this is calling out to me. :( Must not play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭housemap

Whats the voice acting like on mods

Advertisement