Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is PC Gaming worth it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

housemap wrote: »
    Whats the voice acting like on mods

Depends on the mod :rolleyes:

One recent mod with awesome voice acting is Nightmare House 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Intel certainly think theres a future in PC Gaming

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=26435

And AMD are working on the same thing

But the real future is your TV

The race is on to bring on demand streaming TV, Films, Music, Games via Internet Enabled TV

Then they really will control us - no more government protests - an enslaved population!
    The Matrix made real

• Registered Users Posts: 9,038 ✭✭✭Doge

I was contemplating upgrading my psu and graphics card, when i decided to buy an Xbox 360 instead, as it was much much cheaper.

The only game that has got me thinking of upgrading the PC again,
    is Duke Nukem Forever.

If the Editor for the engine is released like Build was back in the day,

and it's extremely mod friendly, i can see myself getting my monies worth for a few years.

Hopefully this engine (which is meant to be a custom version of UT2004) will be a big leap in FPS like build was.

However i can see how uprading sometimes is not worthwhile when PC ports of games have very poor optimization.

GTA IV is a prime example.
    Having a core quad under the recommended requirements when it was released was just wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ghetto Cornetto

The Just Cause 2 Superman mod alone is worth investing in a PC. I'm deadly serious, I have never in my life had so much fun with a game than I did with a modded copy of Just Cause 2.

But yes, PC gaming is absolutely worth the investment. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just an over defensive fanboy trying to defend the purchase of their particular console.
    But if you're a real gamer, you won't believe in "console vs PC". You'll believe in "video games". Just video games.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

waveform wrote: »
    I was contemplating upgrading my psu and graphics card, when i decided to buy an Xbox 360 instead, as it was much much cheaper.
    How so?

This + this is capable of outputting far more than the 360 can and works out about €100 cheaper too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

The Just Cause 2 Superman mod alone is worth investing in a PC. I'm deadly serious, I have never in my life had so much fun with a game than I did with a modded copy of Just Cause 2.

Is there any James Bond (reskin + music) mod for it? Nothing would be better than to paraglide around explodey things with Monty Norman's theme going DANG DA DANG DANG....

P.

Blowfish wrote: »
    How so?

This + this is capable of outputting far more than the 360 can and works out about €100 cheaper too.

Well i bought the 360 for close to €100 second hand so thats how it worked out cheaper. ;)

Also the formfactor of my PC is micro-ATX, and most graphics card take up the space of 2 PCI slots because of the fan.

Is there any gfx cards that have the fan on the Right hand side of the graphics card board, (the opposite side of the one on pixmania).

That way i could sacrifice my PCI-Express x1 slot for the fan.

Would that GFX card play most recent games @ 1080p also?

And final question, would the 450W PSU be powerful enough to run a quadcore system with the graphics card?
    It seems a bit weak, i'd probably invest the extra few euro in more powerful one.

Thanks for the share, that is much cheaper than I expected.

for 1080p I'd reccommend a 460.

for 1080p I'd reccommend a 460.

Is that the Geforce GTX 460 you mean?

I'd rather go with Nvidia also as i simply hate the ATI Cataylst Control Centre.

At least it was bloaty the last time i used it.

Yep, the GTX460, I'd recommend the 1GB version, last I checked you can get a GIGABYTE brand one for just under €200

• Advertisement

Sweet! One possible issue is that i have PCI Express 1.0.

I know its backwards compatible but i wonder if actually exceeds that bandwidth.

If PCI Express 2.0 is truely twice the speed of 1.0, then it's equivalent to running it at x8 speed, which is fine :)

Quick Question, what CPU do you have? What games do you want to play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Console doesn't play most games at 1080p either, it just upscales from 720p and locks the framerate at 30fps

In all honesty, any of these would play games at much higher detail than a console, gets all its power from the pci-e slot so You'd not need a psu and doesn't take up 2 slots

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Console doesn't play most games at 1080p either, it just upscales from 720p and locks the framerate at 30fps

In all honesty, any of these would play games at much higher detail than a console, gets all its power from the pci-e slot so You'd not need a psu and doesn't take up 2 slots

Some aren't even 720p. I remember hearing about some game that was upscaled from 540p can't remember which though. Some PS3 games are actually 1080p but we're talking about a handful.

If PCI Express 2.0 is truely twice the speed of 1.0, then it's equivalent to running it at x8 speed, which is fine :)

Quick Question, what CPU do you have? What games do you want to play?

I wonder would it actually limit the performance in any way, i suppose it totally depends on the amount of bandwidth each card uses.

Tis a mild enough CPU by todays standards, a Core 2 Quad 8200 @ 2.33Ghz.

It would be mainly FPS games, especially those with mods,

maybe the odd Racing Sim but I'd be more inclined to play them on the 360.

@Pog
    Thats true about the upscaling on consoles, theres very few games that go anywhere over 720p.

Some aren't even 720p. I remember hearing about some game that was upscaled from 540p can't remember which though. Some PS3 games are actually 1080p but we're talking about a handful.

Pretty sure Modern Warfare 2 was below 720p also for the consoles also,
    at least according to Wikipedia.

The resolution does not seem to specified on the wiki page in the pane on the right hand side anymore though.

With a moderate OC on that CPU, you'll be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Halo 3 and ODST are both 640p. There are quite a few games on both 360 and PS3 that are full 1080p, but more often than not they are downloadable titles, not retail/disc titles.

As for this debate, of course PC gaming is worth it. I went through a phase at the end of the 90's where it was the only gaming I was doing. I'm planning on getting a new PC shortly to play Civ V. It is a gaming experience that I simply can't have on a console. Guild Wars 2 is also looking like a must-have game.

Just a side note... the elitism here (not from everyone) is shocking... I can't stand the implication that if you prefer console gaming you're not a real gamer, or somehow less intelligent. A 'real gamer' could see the benefit in all systems.

Just a side note... the elitism here (not from everyone) is shocking... I can't stand the implication that if you prefer console gaming you're not a real gamer, or somehow less intelligent. A 'real gamer' could see the benefit in all systems.

I went through the same phase you describe for PC's, you cant beat a mouse for aiming in FPS games i think. They're nicer to play on the PC for sure.

There's a lot to be said for being able to just pop a disc into a console,
    without the stress of installations, patches, compatibility, performance setttings etc.. and also the hassle of controller mapping, especially when you need to map your gamepad to a PC game.

Consoles are so much more gamepad friendly, everything is set up for you in advance, you only may need to do a few quick tweaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Fanboyism for certain platforms is ridiculous is n of itself, but especially since it limits people to experiences they could have if they tried other systems. Some games are perfect for pc, others are perfect for consoles. When I want an FPS, an action RPG, or some strategy of course Im going for my pc because those are its strengths. But if I want abit of Fifa or Pes, or a racing game, Id prefer to sit back on the couch in front of a big TV. Not to mention some platform exclusives. A couple of months back I picked up Uncharted 2 for 15 quid. It would be crazy to miss out on a game that good, simply because I was voluntarily tied to one system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Agricola wrote: »
    But if I want abit of Fifa or Pes, or a racing game, Id prefer to sit back on the couch in front of a big TV.
    See that's precisely the beauty of playing on the PC, it's flexible. If you want to lounge on a couch in front of a big TV, all you need is 1 extra cable and a gamepad.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

There's a lot to be said for being able to just pop a disc into a console,
    without the stress of installations, patches, compatibility, performance setttings etc.. and also the hassle of controller mapping, especially when you need to map your gamepad to a PC game.

Stress?
    Come off it.
    Any game i have on pc was a simple matter of downloading the game and installing or installing via disc, 5 min job.
    Patches are to to enhance your playing experience so i dont see why you see it as stress either,most games auto update anyway.
    Stress of performance settings? I have an almost 3 year old pc and i just put everything to max settings at my monitors native res and have yet to have the need to change settings.
    Hassle of controller mapping? Apart from a footie game why would you need to use a pad anyways? maybe also for a racing game if you dont have a wheel, even so most games have default settings for your device.

Someone earlier in the thread said its laziness with a lot of people, i think maybe you might fall into that bracket :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Come off it.
    Any game i have on pc was a simple matter of downloading the game and installing or installing via disc, 5 min job.

Before Steam, the OP would have had a point. But these days it's easier for me to buy and install a PC game than it is to walk across the room to put a disk in my Xbox.

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    Before Steam, the OP would have had a point.

Give me a superior experience at the expense of a 5-10 minute installation anytime :)

Dcully wrote: »
    Stress?
    Come off it.
    Patches are to to enhance your playing experience so i dont see why you see it as stress either,most games auto update anyway.
    Stress of performance settings? I have an almost 3 year old pc and i just put everything to max settings at my monitors native res and have yet to have the need to change settings.
    Hassle of controller mapping? Apart from a footie game why would you need to use a pad anyways? maybe also for a racing game if you dont have a wheel, even so most games have default settings for your device.

Someone earlier in the thread said its laziness with a lot of people, i think maybe you might fall into that bracket :)

1. 5 Minute job if everything goes well, and the game likes your hardware. Not all do.
    2. Especially with games a few years old there is a bit of stress involved,
    they do not all auto-update, you must make sure you have the most recent one, make sure it's the one for your area, and find a decent site to download it from, without having to register, or click about 5 links before you access the public server.
    Depending on the game, you could have a very buggy and ****ty experience if you're not running the latest patch for it.
    Edit: Some patches must be done in a certain order also. Yesterday i installed a game that has 2 patches out for it,
    if you installed the first, you must re-install the game completely to install the 2nd. Which isnt very user friendly.
    I find the PC Ports of games can be very sloppy and buggy compared to console ports a lot of the time.

3. Good for you. Its not like that for the majority however.
    Is your PC custom made? How much money did you spend on it? Including extra money put into upgrading its performance.
    My PC's model is 2 years, i bought mine a year ago, and for my monitors resolution - 1080p its simply too slow, therefore i have to spend a bit of time trying different configurations to get the best compromise between graphics and performance.
    That is until i upgrade of course, which is a bit of hassle as i have explained in my previous posts.

4. Default settings != preferred settings almost 90% of the time.
    I use a PS2 controller connected via usb, and i always find myself having to tinker with the mappings, and sometimes depending on the game, i run out of buttons to map, so i have to use the keyboard as well as the gamepad.
    Some games are much more control heavy than others,
    especially if they mix driving with shooting and walking.

See this is my point, with a console game you will never run out of buttons, because the game is set especially for that amount of buttons. PC games almost always have more controls.

5. Its nothing to do with laziness, time is my greatest enemy, as i have a lot of interests outside of gaming, but cheers for trying to label me as lazy anyway.

As a mod you should realize that the experience is going to be different for each user, therefor the opinions will vary from user to user.

You come across as extremely short sighted and fixed on your own opinion/experience,
    maybe if you listened to people more and try to see things from their point of view you wouldnt be so short sighted.

1. 5 Minute job if everything goes well, and the game likes your hardware. Not all do.
    2. Especially with games a few years old there is a bit of stress involved,
    they do not all auto-update, you must make sure you have the most recent one, make sure it's the one for your area, and find a decent site to download it from, without having to register, or click about 5 links before you access the public server.
    Depending on the game, you could have a very buggy and ****ty experience if you're not running the latest patch for it.
    Edit: Some patches must be done in a certain order also. Yesterday i installed a game that has 2 patches out for it,
    if you installed the first, you must re-install the game completely to install the 2nd. Which isnt very user friendly.
    I find the PC Ports of games can be very sloppy and buggy compared to console ports a lot of the time.

3. Good for you. Its not like that for the majority however.
    Is your PC custom made? How much money did you spend on it? Including extra money put into upgrading its performance.
    My PC's model is 2 years, i bought mine a year ago, and for my monitors resolution - 1080p its simply too slow, therefore i have to spend a bit of time trying different configurations to get the best compromise between graphics and performance.
    That is until i upgrade of course, which is a bit of hassle as i have explained in my previous posts.

4. Default settings != preferred settings almost 90% of the time.
    I use a PS2 controller connected via usb, and i always find myself having to tinker with the mappings, and sometimes depending on the game, i run out of buttons to map, so i have to use the keyboard as well as the gamepad.
    Some games are much more control heavy than others,
    especially if they mix driving with shooting and walking.

See this is my point, with a console game you will never run out of buttons, because the game is set especially for that amount of buttons. PC games almost always have more controls.

5. Its nothing to do with laziness, time is my greatest enemy, as i have a lot of interests outside of gaming, but cheers for trying to label me as lazy anyway.

As a mod you should realize that the experience is going to be different for each user, therefor the opinions will vary from user to user.

You come across as extremely short sighted and fixed on your own opinion/experience,
    maybe if you listened to people more and try to see things from their point of view you wouldnt be so short sighted.

Not short sighted at all, im stating it as it is.
    Ive about 90 games installed on my pc and all play perfectly and all installed hassle free.
    The only one that was a lengthy install was world of warcraft to get all its massive patches.
    You see patches are very often extra content for pc games so i fail to see how you see patching as stress inducing.
    Yes i have a custom pc and i made sure it was well specced to last a long time before needing updating.
    The only upgrade i done was a new gfx card which i only got because it was on sale for insane value.
    All in all my pc cost about a grand in total including the gfx card upgrade.
    Its lasted 3 years without any hassle and still plays todays games @ 1920X1080 max gfx settings in all games.
    Thats to me is excellent value when i consider all the free mods i get to have on top of my library of games, not to mention the free games for pc.
    Its a myth that you need to constantly upgrade your pc.

As for saying you were lazy, get a sense of humour i said it in jest hence the smiley.

Ofcourse i realize this, otherwise we wouldnt have a thread to debate the issue :), where exactly did i say anything to the contrary?

Im simply saying the pc is worth it as the OP asked.
    It does a lot of things better than the consoles, i never said consoles dont have their place.
    Quite the opposite infact, i think everyone agrees both formats have their place.
    I love to sit down and play some Fifa or PES with my son on the 360.
    We have been known to play some COD together in a party also.
    Im downloading the new PES 2011 demo for 360 as i type :)
    We have 2 xbox 360s and a PS3 in the house, we sold the wii however :)
    Consoles are great but so too is the PC,a helf decent PC simply has more horse power under the hood and a superior control scheme, i cant help if i prefer the pc as my main gaming format.
    I dont mind downloading and installing patches for older games when the need be.
    You find it causes stress, fair enough but why have a go at me because i prefer the pc?
    Oh the irony is deafining:D

Oh the irony is deafining:D

How is it?
    I accept that people have positive experiences like you, and i accept that other people have not so positive experiences.
    Things arent as linear as you seem to think.

Ive posted on a lot of boards in my time, but this is the first time seeing a mod act like a troll.

What age are you if you dont mind answering?

Had you been a normal user i would have just ignored your post tbh.

You find it causes stress, fair enough but why have a go at me because i prefer the pc?

A go at you? Are you taking the piss?

All i did is defend my argument, you were the one who was trying to be insulting remember?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Some games will install fine some won't. Thats just the way of it. The vast majority work ok.

PC games may require more effort to get running than a console, but usually its worth it.

One of the advantages of the PC is that you have more keys. It allows you to have more complex games.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ghetto Cornetto

oceanclub wrote: »
    Is there any James Bond (reskin + music) mod for it? Nothing would be better than to paraglide around explodey things with Monty Norman's theme going DANG DA DANG DANG....

P.

Not that I've found as of yet. I suppose a tuxedo mod isn't too far fatched, and you can always play the music using an external media player! :D

I prefer to fly around listening to the Top Gun music, recreating the Lynx Dry ad. They're incredibly similar, even down the poses they're in while flying.

• Advertisement

How is it?
    I accept that people have positive experiences like you, and i accept that other people have not so positive experiences.
    Things arent as linear as you seem to think.

Ive posted on a lot of boards in my time, but this is the first time seeing a mod act like a troll.

What age are you if you dont mind answering?

Had you been a normal user i would have just ignored your post tbh.

A go at you? Are you taking the piss?

All i did is defend my argument, you were the one who was trying to be insulting remember?

Seriously what are you smoking?
    Please enlighten me as to how im trying to be insulting and exactly how im being a troll.
    Ive said already, im expressing my opinion which you seem to have a major issue about simply because its not your opinion.
    I dont have an issue with your opinion so why your coming on here calling me a troll and suggesting im insulting people/ this suggestion is utter garbage tbh.
    You want everyone to agree with you and when someone doesnt you spit the dummy :rolleyes:

Its unfortunate you take such an aggressive stance over this issue.
    Please tell me what your problem is apart from you dont like my opinion.
    How am i being a troll exactly and how am i trying to be insulting?
    Are you always so argumentative? seriously you need to lighten up, this is a discussion board about games, dont take others opinions so personally.

Advertisement