Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Issue while changing cable to rear derailleur

• 08-09-2010 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I am trying to change my Rear derailleur cable on a 9 speed 105 groupset. The cable seems to be fairly tight but when I move the shifters it does not seem to move the derailleur up onto the larger sprockets on the cassette. I am putting the tension on the cable on the smallest sprocket. The front shifter is set to the lowest gear as well but all debugging I have tired does not seem to help. Any ideas on what I could try ? I get the feeling the issue is with the shifter ..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

Did you change the outer tube that holds the cable at the same time as you changed the cable?

If not the most likely problem is that dirt has gotten inside the outer cable and is causing enough friction to throw off the indexing. It's probably easiest just to replace the outer but try dropping some lube down the outer first to see if it helps, but be warned that it's a quite short term solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

I am trying to change my Rear derailleur cable on a 9 speed 105 groupset. The cable seems to be fairly tight but when I move the shifters it does not seem to move the derailleur up onto the larger sprockets on the cassette. I am putting the tension on the cable on the smallest sprocket. The front shifter is set to the lowest gear as well but all debugging I have tired does not seem to help. Any ideas on what I could try ? I get the feeling the issue is with the shifter ..
    Is the head of the cable properly seated in its cradle. It is possible the shifter is worn out, considering its over 5 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

To eliminate the shifter, pull the cable with your hand.

To eliminate cable issues, move the derailleur with your hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Is the head of the cable properly seated in its cradle.

^This is usually what's wrong when I've come up against this problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 theotherone

Thanks for your replies. With your tips i debugged and it seems the issue lies with the shifters. It seems that the head/nipple on the new cable is a little smaller than the old cable and it seems the shifter is not catching it to increase the tension on the cable. Is this something I need to be careful of on when buying gear cables ? Same type seemed to work fine on the front derailleur .., is there a size for the 105 shifters. Or are my shifters worn out that it does not grab the cable ?

Advertisement