Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

airedale terrier

Options
  • 08-09-2010 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking for an Airedale terrier puppy/young dog. I was wondering if anyone had an experience with these dogs? I already have a cat (he's about a year old) and have a large garden securely fenced off.

Any info is appreciated as I'm relatively clueless when it comes to dog breeds, I had a really good experience with a dog a friend of mine owned which was an Airedale and it had a lovely temperment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

anamaria wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking for an Airedale terrier puppy/young dog. I was wondering if anyone had an experience with these dogs? I already have a cat (he's about a year old) and have a large garden securely fenced off.

Any info is appreciated as I'm relatively clueless when it comes to dog breeds, I had a really good experience with a dog a friend of mine owned which was an Airedale and it had a lovely temperment

we have one at home, shes 6 now, needs a lot of walks or will dig up the garden, they are very gentle breed around children, couldn't recomend them anymore so, hard enough to get them though but get them from a good breeder, il post up a picture tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

Thanks,

I'm a music teacher and I teach from home so there's always someone in the house. I don't start work until three so I have my mornings for long walks. Although as its no fun on my own, I reckon I need company (hence looking for a dog). My own experience with an Airedale was a family I know who had one for their autisitic boy. The dog was fantastic with the little boy and really calmed him down.

Can I ask if you got yours from a breeder? Or could you reccommend one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Bjorn Bored.

BETTER WITH A BOXER OR A LAB IMO,AIRDALES CAN BE A BIT SNAPPY FROM WHAT I HAVE WITNESSED.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

v good choice:D they respond v well to training but make sure you find a goos breeder dont rush into it and do your homework;)

BETTER WITH A BOXER OR A LAB IMO,AIRDALES CAN BE A BIT SNAPPY FROM WHAT I HAVE WITNESSED.

how many have you been around, they are very very docile, they are a great choice

• Advertisement

If anyone knows of a trustworthy breeder they would recommend I would be grateful. It seems to be hard to get hold of an Airedale

anamaria wrote: »
    If anyone knows of a trustworthy breeder they would recommend I would be grateful. It seems to be hard to get hold of an Airedale

i will check with my parents, they will have the number of the man we got ours from, he was a very nice man, also ring kennel club they will have a list of breeders

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

A family member of mine bred and showed airedales for years(in the UK before I was born) and always said they were the greatest dogs for families of any age.
    I know she always wanted to get another but I believe in recent years they have become more prone to health issues (although most pedigree dogs are now), and this put her off.
    They do need a good bit of exercise and are very smart, so need to stimulated, but they do respond well to training and love performing(showing off tricks or doing agility).
    They aren't that common in Ireland, and aren't as popular in the UK as they were, but try the breed clubs both here and in UK and you should find one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will contact the kennel club and try get some reccommended breeders from them. I live right beside the beach and regularly go walking so a high energy dog isn't a problem :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Quick

Hi,

just wondering did you contact anyone about an Airedale? I put up this post tonight and am in the same boat.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056038237

Cheers,

Brian

Advertisement