Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pdf interview?

• 09-09-2010 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

hi anyone know what the interview for general enlistment is like what questions are asked? Ive applied I'm 18 and in 6th year and have great fitness,I'm in scouts and do Thai-boxing and my grandfather served wit the pdf would I even be considered because of my youth and not having my Leaving certificate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I did the interview 11 years ago so Im sure it has changed since. If you do get to the interview, just do yourself a favour and dont try to bull**** them in any way shape or form. They may ask you what you think the DF does so do yoiur homework.

1/ Be clean shaven
    2/ Be neatly dressed and have a neat haircut....no ear rings, piercings, or soverigh rings.
    3/ Be as knowledgeable about the DF as you can, if you show an understanding about the job and the environment it will show that you are genuinely interested in being a soldier.
    4/ Mention any passtimes that you may have, hobbies, interests or sports.
    5/ Mention your Grandfather and where he served etc.

Just answer all the questions honestly and you should be ok.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Can only remember a few questions from my interview but they were just like any other interview

How do you work as part of a team?
    Give me an example of how you worked as part of a team?
    Example of how you took charge of a team?
    Do you know anyone in the army?
    Why do you wanna join the army?
    Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
    Hobbies?

I dont play any sport and for the third one I couldnt think of an answer so I just bull****ted and said I was the captian of a football team and we won the league. Must have knew I was lying because straight away he asked me the name of the team and then asked me the managers name. I just named a team and made up a name for the manager :D Knew fine rightly I was lying but I got in anyway. With the number of people applying now it will be far different, the interview will be far more important. Dont think the interview even mattered when I applied because I dont know how half the people I trained with would have passed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭In my opinion

SICKBOi wrote: »
    hi anyone know what the interview for general enlistment is like what questions are asked? Ive applied I'm 18 and in 6th year and have great fitness,I'm in scouts and do Thai-boxing and my grandfather served wit the pdf would I even be considered because of my youth and not having my Leaving certificate?

My advice for what it's worth. Do your leaving cert first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 SICKBOi

My advice for what it's worth. Do your leaving cert first!

thanks for the advice but pdf is all I want to do! so im still gonna try Ive got nothing to lose and alot to gain ide be prepared to do my leaving cert at a later stage if I got in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

SICKBOi wrote: »
    thanks for the advice but pdf is all I want to do! so im still gonna try Ive got nothing to lose and alot to gain ide be prepared to do my leaving cert at a later stage if I got in.

After all that time in school, you would be FOOLISH not to finish the leaving cert. The pdf was all i wanted to do and when i joined, i spent 4 years there and then it was time to move on. That was also the case with so many people who joined with me.

Because i had just finished the leaving cert i had options open for college. If you dont finish it at this stage, after you spend a few years in the army, if you decide that its time to move on then you will have ZERO options.

Its only like 9 months till the leaving so if i were you i would have a hard think, the army will always be there but try going back to do your leaving in your 20s!! youll look great!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ArdMhacha

Definately do your leaving cert before joining, I joined without my A -Levels (leaving cert) thinking I could do them while serving, it is not as straight forward as that. I applied for the course and didnt get it, I then had to leave in order to do them. Take King Stews advice, if he is the ex Viking I think he is then his advice is even more valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Yea i would recommend you do the leaving cert first aswell. At least that way you have something to fall back on. The training is tough and as fit as you are you dont know if you will pass it so at least you would have the leaving cert. Even if you do get in you might what do leave after a few years (I left after 5 years) and you would have nothing then. Also the course to do the leaving cert through the army only comes up every 2 years and is very hard to get so you probably wouldnt have a chance of getting it for 4 or 6 years.

Advertisement