Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drill bits going blunt

• 09-09-2010 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Whats up with masonry drill bits any time i drill in to a brick wall they go blunt at most i get 2 wholes drilled by the time they are blunt.

Is there any good drill bits that dont go blunt or are they all the same? Its doing my head in need to atach trelis to the wall so ill have to drill lots of holes dont want to have to use loads of drill bits doing the job.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Where did you buy the bits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

ive bought draper bits in argos and other no name ones in the hard ware shop seems as if the ones from the pound shop last just as long as either of the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Is it a block wall or a concrete retaining wall you're drilling into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Jokesetal

I bought the cheapy set in Aldi and they've lasted ages! I've also gotten the Black and Decker gift sets and they seem slightly better.
    My drill then died, so I got an SDS drill and bit set and it's drilling 6-12mm bores without breaking sweat! All from our german supermarkets, for about €70 in total!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Whats up with masonry drill bits any time i drill in to a brick wall they go blunt at most i get 2 wholes drilled by the time they are blunt.

Is there any good drill bits that dont go blunt or are they all the same? Its doing my head in need to atach trelis to the wall so ill have to drill lots of holes dont want to have to use loads of drill bits doing the job.

Are you using a hammer drill? Using masonry bits without hammer action can wear them out quite quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

you can also push too hard on the drill.

you dont need to put your whole body weigh onto the drill. over heating of the bit then can lead to blunting. also take the drill bit out of the hole to pull out some debris also .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Overheating causes warping of the bit too.
    I've only every blunted a bit when I hit a piece of rebar in a pilar.
    When I retracted the bit, it was deformed and glowing brightly. Amusing, considering the effort I was putting into drilling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 masonry solutions

Sounds more like a bad drill than drill bits, you need a good sds drill. I drill all the time with chaep sds bits and a good sds drill no probs, oh and dont force the drill and every few seconds pull the dill out abit to release trapped dust.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Have you the drill turning in the right direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Ok thaks guys for your replays i think by the sounds of it i am puting to much persure on the drill when im drilling as when i pull the drill out the bits do be red.

I will try puting little or no persure on the drill when im drilling today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement