Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Young Males, Unfair Blame!

• 09-09-2010 1:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

I'm a young male, I dont drive fast 55-60mph would be my 'set' speed on ordinary roads....

I also drive 'good' cars, some of which are capable of 155mph. Mercedes E-Class 2.0 Supercharged. Dont bother saying I cant get insured because I can....

Just recently I feel that I get unfairly targeted by the media/ older people as a complete danger on the roads....

So who here agrees that the RSA/ Media should concentrate on bad drivers of all ages/ sex insted of their usualy young males are at fault.

It's rather insulting and gone on long enough.

And yes more young males do crash than females but more males have driving licenses/ drive longer distances.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Stats don't lie!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I was a young male once too, and had my share of crashes. Funny how I don't seem to have them any more. I copped on.
    Not saying I won't ever have one again, but I suppose it's similar with lots of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

DonJose wrote: »
    Stats don't lie!!!

A bit like the stat that says learner drivers cause road deaths and thus should be heavily targeted before other drivers???

Anybody ever consider the fact more young males drive than young women. The fact is because of cost of insurance and that too many young people are driving around in cars that dont have modern safety features!

It goes without saying that too many people young and old die and our roads and the only way to sort this is to target all drivers, give the traffic corp more resources and the improvement of our roads i.e. white line instead of green grass, crash barriers, better surfaces, proper speed limits so people actually might pay attention to places that have a lower limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Theanswers

finbarrk wrote: »
    I was a young male once too, and had my share of crashes. Funny how I don't seem to have them any more. I copped on.
    Not saying I won't ever have one again, but I suppose it's similar with lots of people.

I know alot of young males who drive. I know alot LESS females who drive and thoes that do usually drive alot smaller distances than the males....

Also I know of very few males locally that have crashed... For the amount who do drive, most are sensible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i think a lot of male drivers of all ages are a hazzard....its just that they survive better when (if) they get a bit older and more experianced.

Just think of any driver you see driving agressivley or dangerously, its almost always a male and more often than not a middle aged one (who i think are worse than young ones)

Not that theres not an awful lot of terrible women drivers around. many of these are totally incompetant but as they are more cautious naturally and less agressive they arent as dangerous.

(PS i'm male, getting on and a lot safer now than I was in my twenties when I had my share of moments....)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Theanswers wrote: »
    I'm a young male, I dont drive fast 55-60mph would be my 'set' speed on ordinary roads....

I also drive 'good' cars, some of which are capable of 155mph. Mercedes E-Class 2.0 Supercharged. Dont bother saying I cant get insured because I can....

Just recently I feel that I get unfairly targeted by the media/ older people as a complete danger on the roads....

So who here agrees that the RSA/ Media should concentrate on bad drivers of all ages/ sex insted of their usualy young males are at fault.

And yes more young males do crash than females but more males have driving licenses/ drive longer distances.

males tend not to rear end other cars at lights also and don't use vanity mirrors for make up and boob adjustment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Oh jesus christ not again!

Please don't start another debate about the RSA or young male drivers being victimised...

Somebody please think of the children!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

When are all you young lads going to wake up and see reality?

Young drivers are a problem, because of their immaturity, inexperience, and, for the lads, too much testosterone.

All well and good self-proclaiming yourself as an excellent , safe driver, but, if that is the case, you are the exception, not the rule.

Instead of proclaiming to the masses how sexist, discriminatory, etc, the reporting is, you'd be far better off chasing your peers, the idiot that get you the bad name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The fact of life IS that until you get to 25 you're screwed. Just suck it up and get on with it.

When you reach your late 20's you will look back to people your age and say "they just dont get it, wait till they're my age"

I don't give a rats what you drive. When you get other people in the car with you YOUR driving WILL change.........................and you might die or kill others.

Statistics are Statistics.

It's not just an Irish problem. The same problem exists in every country you have young people driving cars, young men are more dangerous and more likely to crash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Gophur wrote: »
    All well and good self-proclaiming yourself as an excellent , safe driver, but, if that is the case, you are the exception, not the rule.

Ive asked you this before and you usually ignore me but if youre going to come out here spouting this kind of rubbish then please provide some kind of evidence to backup your claim that the majority of young male drivers are dangerous on the road as you suggest. If you cant backup your claim please stop posting it.

djimi wrote: »
    Ive asked you this before and you usually ignore me but if youre going to come out here spouting this kind of rubbish then please provide some kind of evidence to backup your claim that the majority of young male drivers are dangerous on the road as you suggest. If you cant backup your claim please stop posting it.

What do you want? A statement? A "fact" that 51% of young drivers are dangerous? What would you acknowledge as "evidence"?

Is everyone else wrong, and you right?

Have you not paid any attention to;
    The accident statistics.
    The Insurance stats
    The lines of dead and injured from young male drivers?
    Do you want pictures?

Wake up and get real, and acknowledge what is happening.

There are none so deaf as those who do not want to hear, eh djimi?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... If you cant backup your claim please stop posting it.
    Young drivers get charged higher premiums than older more experienced drivers. Young male drivers get charged higher premiums than young female drivers.

The insurance underwriters keep the stats, evaluate the risks and calculate the premiums using age, gender, annual declared mileage driven, location and other variables. Simples.

What do you want? A statement? A "fact" that 51% of young drivers are dangerous? What would you acknowledge as "evidence"?

Is everyone else wrong, and you right?

Have you not paid any attention to;
    The accident statistics.
    The Insurance stats
    The lines of dead and injured from young male drivers?
    Do you want pictures?

Wake up and get real, and acknowledge what is happening.

There are none so deaf as those who do not want to hear, eh djimi?

Im not looking for evidence to backup that young males are a higher risk, Im well aware that they are, but you seem to be of the opinion that all or at least the majority of young males are dangerous drivers, and if thats the case then Id like you to backup that claim.

Ill put it another way; I could easily find a stat to say that the majority of rapists are male, but does that mean that all males are rapists...?

mathepac wrote: »
    Young drivers get charged higher premiums than older more experienced drivers. Young male drivers get charged higher premiums than young female drivers.

The insurance underwriters keep the stats, evaluate the risks and calculate the premiums using age, gender, annual declared mileage driven, location and other variables. Simples.

Like I said Im not disputing that young males are a higher risk, but Gophur seems to be of the opinion that all young male drivers are the same as the ones ones that make up the statistics, and Id like for him/her to back up that claim.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Stats don't lie!!!

Stats don't lie, but they can very easily be interpreted incorrectly.

........... you seem to be of the opinion that all or at least the majority of young males are dangerous drivers.........

So, you agree, this is just your perception of that I think? I "seem" ?

Please, you are not doing yourself any favours by selective interpretations of others' posts.

So, are you saying young male drivers are not a dangerous sector of drivers?

stevenmu wrote: »
    Stats don't lie, but they can very easily be interpreted incorrectly.

So, the RSA is wrong, the Dept of Transport is wrong, the Insurance Industry is wrong. Everyone is wrong...................about young male drivers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Stats don't lie!!!
    Indeed they don't, but they must be taken in context.
    The often quoted one is that men are more dangerous on the roads then women, as when they crash, it is at higher speeds with more damage.
    Now next time you are driving, look at the drivers of the cars passing by.
    Particularly cars with a mixed couple in the car.
    Notice anything? Invariably the man is driving. The woman may be insured on the car, the car may be even in her name, but in my experience in mixed sex couples, the man drives when the two of them are in the car. Not in a 50:50 ratio or anything, just nearly all the time.
    Similarly for longer journeys, where speeds would pick up to the national limit, some women (no not all, I am not being sexist) would feel uncomfortable driving long journeys, and would prefer their partners/fathers to drive them to those places, again even if they have their own car.
    If an accident then happens, what side of the statistic does this show?
    The statistics are skewed due to irish driving habit of men being the main drivers of cars.
    Then when you consider the male side of the statistics, younger mail drivers would on average drive many more miles per year. This would be a combination of the "newness" and excitement of first driving, coupled with the car being used as a form of entertainment and or private space.
    Older men wouldnt feel as much need to drive for driving sakes (not all, but a significant proportion).
    So while i dont disagree that young men have more accidents, I feel that if you factored in the above, the figures would not seem as bad.

So, you agree, this is just your perception of that I think? I "seem" ?

Please, you are not doing yourself any favours by selective interpretations of others' posts.

So, are you saying young male drivers are not a dangerous sector of drivers?

How is it a selective interpretation? You said that a safe young male driver is the exception rather than the rule...
    Gophur wrote:

Actually, dont bother replying. Weve been down this road before and Im just remembering now how infuriating that conversation was...

• Advertisement

The Insurance companies would love to have you guys working for them, calculating their premiums.

You'd bankrupt them in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

So, the RSA is wrong, the Dept of Transport is wrong, the Insurance Industry is wrong. Everyone is wrong...................about young male drivers?
    Yes - the three groups that you mentioned are guilty of misrepresenting fact, ditto, and discrimination respectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Lets looks at the facts and a few opinions of my own.
    Statisticilly (and there are tonnes of statistics out there, there is a certain age group and indeed a certain sex of driver who are more likely to incur cost on insurance companies than others.
    This has been found to be the young male driver.
    Now we must ask why this is the case?
    In my opinion its pretty obvious (despite what all us "older" drivers would like to think)
    Young people are inexperienced at many things by definition. They have to learn.
    Driving is a learning process. Personally as a young driver I made mistakes, I ended up in an accident at 21 (nothing major but I was completely in the wrong - rear ended someone). I also had a number of close calls, I learned my lessons (luckily without injury to myself or others) and am a better driver for it today.
    It is more likely that younger drivers will have an accident because they are inexperienced, and perhaps have a feeling of invincibility on the roads. Its pretty logical (despite what many will tell you)

As such younger drivers pay a higher premium for this risk and young males (who are the standout likely accident source) pay a higher one again.
    As they get older and in theory more experienced these costs reduce.

What we have to do now as a country is ensure that these young drivers are protected (and indeed those that share the road with them) as much as possible.
    Possible solutions have been mooted. Some of which will of course impact on all young drivers, but if that is the price for a few years of keeping the roads safer no one should have a major problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

Alot of people come out with "stats don't lie" without pointing to them. The stats do show that young drivers are involved in more accidents but not to the extent that people suggest.

The rest of this post is just basically copied from another thread in which I posted last night, there are so many running the same theme.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056021318&page=3
    Yes, they are involved in more than the average amount of accidents but so are young women compared to their elder counterparts (in a relative term, also remembering that there are 36% more men with licences than women in Ireland) as can be even seen from the stats below.

Drivers Injured or Killed in Road Accidents (taken from RSA Collision Fact Books)

Age . . . . . Male . . . . Female

18-24 . . . . 498 . . . . . 396
    25-34 . . . . 490 . . . . . 472
    35-44 . . . . 327 . . . . . 287
    45-54 . . . . 198 . . . . . 217

Age . . . . . Male . . . . Female

18-24 . . . . 507 . . . . . 365
    25-34 . . . . 419 . . . . . 436
    35-44 . . . . 299 . . . . . 299
    45-54 . . . . 180 . . . . . 198

My post was a follow on a poster above suggesting that 70% of young males are dangerous drivers and a popular conception with many that young males are the only danger on our roads and that it is ok to tar every young male with that brush.

Incidents involving young male drivers get more attention in the media, case in point over the recent month's tradgedies. Were any of the following incidents given big features on the 6 o'clock news, talked about on Vincent Brown, talked about on Midday and discussed widely by the public?

http://eecho.ie/news/ireland/woman-killed-in-sligo-crash-471217.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0710/breaking9.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0423/1224268953688.html

All this discussion of young male drivers has accelerated over the past few months due to three main incidents that have gotten alot of media attention. Lets look at what we can see if we look at them logically and we can see the following factors must also be admitted;

- inexperienced drivers
    - travelling on small rural roads, poor road markings -> where they were neither taught or tested on.
    - in the early hours/night, -> tiredness, also not tested on the changes in driving behaviour you need to make to drive in the country at night
    - not in "souped up "boyracer" mobiles" but in normal commuter cars
    - cars full of distractions, -> i.e. cars full of young mates/friends giddy after a night out

it does not take reckless behaviour to induce an accident senario with those ingredients, a couple of seconds distraction and you can lose control of a car on a bend or at night on roads with poor markings.

Now lets look at it from another angle, if you took a sample of people with 1 year driving experience and another of people with 10 years, which group would you logically select if asked which were most likely to have the more instances of accidents over a certain time period, the people with less experience. It must be logically expected that accident rates will decrease with more experience.

I was just commenting that I do not follow the opinion that the majority of young males are dangerous as alluded to by some. I posted above a few articles of recent accidents involving women above, these did not get near as much attention in the media as the recent accidents involving men. So I believe there in an incorrect stereotype being reinforced by the media.

Yes, absolutely (although I wouldn't say "Everyone" is wrong, many people agree with me :)).

They have picked a convenient statistic which gives them a scapegoat they can easily target to make it look like they are doing their jobs. Think about it for a second, who is the more dangerous driver, an 18 year old male who drives cautiously and attentively within the speed limit and all rules of the road, or a 50 year old female who drives at twice the speed limit. If we just blindly follow the "young males are bad" mantra then you have to assume the above 18 year old male is the more dangerous driver which is obviously incorrect.

Statistics are only useful when used correctly, valid data points must be chosen and interpreted properly or the data is meaningless. There's a very important principle in statistics that correlation does not imply causation. I.e just because there is a correlation that more young male drivers are involved in fatal accidents, that does not imply that being young and male causes fatal accidents.

Take for example the following graph (which I also posted recently in a different thread):
    CK8fE.jpg

This clearly shows that importing Mexican lemons leads to a reduction in road fatalities. If the stats don't lie should the RSA/DoT etc start encouraging us to import more Mexican lemons?

Or perhaps another example. I don't have the correct figures for this so I'll just make make them up, but it should still demonstrate my point. If we guess the number of fatal accidents caused by drivers of pink cars at say 1%, and guess the number of fatal accidents caused by drivers of black cars at say 10%. I think given the numbers of pink and black cars on the road those figures are reasonable enough. Should we then conclude that pink car drivers are 10 times safer, and that if we forced all drivers to drive pink cars would road fatalities then drop then drop to a tenth of their current level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I dont drive fast 55-60mph would be my 'set' speed on ordinary roads....

Which of course is more than the 80kmh limit on ordinary roads.

How young are you ? And what's the highest speed you have ever driven at on a public road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Take for example the following graph (which I also posted recently in a different thread):
    CK8fE.jpg

This clearly shows that importing Mexican lemons leads to a reduction in road fatalities.
    Eh, no it doesn't.:)

RoverJames wrote: »
    How young are you ? And what's the highest speed you have ever driven at on a public road.

The highest speed I drove on a public road in Ireland...
    This was a motorway was 150kph, at night I might add.

Many people drive alot faster. Drove from London to Denia in Spain two summers ago went alot faster and so did everyone else. But you must respect the limit here. Therefore I wouldnt feel comfortable driving on a motorway here in excess of 130kph. I do however find the easiest thing to do is set the cruise control at 120kph. Saves the hassel of the speedo edging up...

And Actually driving to college the other day nearly everyone overtook me. This was also at night, I choose to drive at 55mph and leave it at that.... Many people did not approve and nearly all overtook...
    I'd bet out of all the overtakers, breaking the SPEED LIMIT not all of them were young males....

I'm 19.

• Advertisement

ardmacha wrote: »
    Which of course is more than the 80kmh limit on ordinary roads.

Dont be smart. You know what I mean, I'm talking about national routes.

You couldnt drive at 80 if you wanted to on the majority of rural roads. Let alone 90-100....

The highest speed I drove on a public road in Ireland...
    This was a motorway was 150kph, at night I might add.

............ Therefore I wouldnt feel comfortable driving on a motorway here in excess of 130kph. I do however find the easiest thing to do is set the cruise control at 120kph. Saves the hassel of the speedo edging up...

And Actually driving to college ...............
    I'm 19.

For a start you have stated you have driven at speeds higher than what you are comfortable at. Also that was speeding, one of the reasons young males are getting a hard time in the media, speed kills etc etc.

As an aside, a 19 year old student with a car equipped with cruise control who did a cross Europe drive at 17 ? How are you funding this lifestyle ?

As an aside, a 19 year old student with a car equipped with cruise control who did a cross Europe drive at 17 ? How are you funding this lifestyle ?
    OT and, frankly, none of our business.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Eh, no it doesn't.:)

Oh, you're correct, technically it shows that importing more Mexican lemons leads to a reduction in road fatalities. Thanks for pointing that out :)

For a start you have stated you have driven at speeds higher than what you are comfortable at. Also that was speeding, one of the reasons young males are getting a hard time in the media, speed kills etc etc.

On a motorway It's not that I dont feel comfortable I do. It's a hugh wide open road designed for 160kph+++
    What I dont feel confortable with is recieving 2 penality points of which I actually have none.
    So therefore I just dont do it. A motorway is one of the few places in this country where if wanted you could safetly exceed the speed limit. Thats why alot do.

And on the other note
    It cost very little to drive across Europe actually. I forget how much petrol she took, but i think it was three tanks... The tolls where almost as expensive though.

I think you will also find alot of cars have cruise control.

Ps. I'd like to admit I DONT know it all, But I am learning as safetly as I can. I see alot of stupid driving on the roads and I'm sure i've done and will make mistakes in the future. But is that not what humans do? Make mistakes. It can happen to anyone, not just a young male!

Oh, you're correct, technically it shows that importing more Mexican lemons leads to a reduction in road fatalities. Thanks for pointing that out :)
    It's a messed-up graph, it's trying to fit three variables (lemon imports, fatality rates, and time) onto two axes. I can see that lemon imports have risen over time while fatality rates have fallen, but that's about it. It certainly doesn't show any causality between the two.

• Advertisement

OT and, frankly, none of our business.

True on both accounts but I can never comprehend how young students finance stuff so I though it no harm asking, sometimes they even admit that Daddy is financing stuff.

True on both accounts but I can never comprehend how young students finance stuff so I though it no harm asking, sometimes they even admit that Daddy is financing stuff.

The car yes, Its his. I'm only named on it. However I do finance my own jeep and pay the insurance, road tax etc.

And so you know I actually along with three friends paid for every cost to bring the car from London to Spain. Tolls, Petrol the works....

Some of us actually work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

finbarrk wrote: »

I've drove since i was 17 i'm 26 now, never even nearly crashed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The answer is that you are just one person - and not representative of the group. If you want to stop feeling discriminated against get your peers to follow your good example.

The answer is that you are just one person - and not representative of the group. If you want to stop feeling discriminated against get your peers to follow your good example.

So would you suggest the average young male driver to be reckless and dangerous?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Unfortunately there are some young male drivers who act like idiots and ruin it for the rest. No getting around it really, it's the same for everybody else in your position, it has been for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Laserhead

Come up to Letterkenny on a Saturday night and you'll see why we have a bad name. They do the most retarded ****, overtaking people on roundabouts and doing handbrake skids around corners.

There's no public transport worth talking about up here, but all these muppets mean none of us can afford to get around. A lot of them haven't even passed their test, but it doesn't stop them roaring around with their mates. A neighbor of mine went out in his mum's car with four friends even though he'd never driven before! A month later he skidded around a bend and went off the road with the same four guys in the back. The car was wrecked, but by some miracle they all got out without a scratch...

It all really pisses me off.
    [/rant]

Laserhead wrote: »
    Come up to Letterkenny on a Saturday night and you'll see why we have a bad name. They do the most retarded ****, overtaking people on roundabouts and doing handbrake skids around corners.

There's no public transport worth talking about up here, but all these muppets mean none of us can afford to get around. A lot of them haven't even passed their test, but it doesn't stop them roaring around with their mates. A neighbor of mine went out in his mum's car with four friends even though he'd never driven before! A month later he skidded around a bend and went off the road with the same four guys in the back. The car was wrecked, but by some miracle they all got out without a scratch...

It all really pisses me off.
    [/rant]

That is not exactly a normal young male driver though is it. He broke the law on so many levels, no license, no insurance, taking a car without consent ect.. Something like that should have a serious punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

conneem-TT wrote: »
    So would you suggest the average young male driver to be reckless and dangerous?
    I would suggest that a higher percentage of young males than young females are reckless and dangerous.

Let me direct you to this article where young males states they will take more risks because they're told not to - they could kill others, or themselves.

“Driving is tied up in their self-concept and telling them not to drive fast because they might die, or they may kill others, is perceived as being an assault on their self-esteem. They react defensively by reporting a more marked intention to drive fast because, for many, doing so bolsters their self-esteem,” said Ms Carey.

It's a messed-up graph, it's trying to fit three variables (lemon imports, fatality rates, and time) onto two axes. I can see that lemon imports have risen over time while fatality rates have fallen, but that's about it. It certainly doesn't show any causality between the two.

It's really only two variables (lemon imports and fatality rates), the years just make for a convenient location to put in the points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I wouldn't have thought a supercharged 2 litre Merc would be capable of 155mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Laserhead

conneem-TT wrote: »
    That is not exactly a normal young male driver though is it. He broke the law on so many levels, no license, no insurance, taking a car without consent ect.. Something like that should have a serious punishment.

Unfortunately it's pretty common up here. It never got reported because noone was hurt. There's that attitude among parents here that "boys will be boys"...

biko wrote: »
    I would suggest that a higher percentage of young males than young females are reckless and dangerous.

Let me direct you to this article where young males states they will take more risks because they're told not to - they could kill others, or themselves.

“Driving is tied up in their self-concept and telling them not to drive fast because they might die, or they may kill others, is perceived as being an assault on their self-esteem. They react defensively by reporting a more marked intention to drive fast because, for many, doing so bolsters their self-esteem,” said Ms Carey.

I suggested a similar thing a month ago in this other thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67013597&postcount=74

Targeting a particular demographic (not just in the case of young male drivers) is never really helpfull as there will always be some of will try to defy what they are being told.

I would like to see a larger less biased report made (in that I have completed and partaken in college survey and alot of the time the friends will supply a large portion of the data required in such small sample sizes), where a good conlcusion is not essential and an article with commentry from someone with more experience than a college student. However I thnk her comments are correct for some but not an whole suitable for the entire demographic.

It is plain to see that the most dangerous young males, such as the one posted by Laserhead above, would pay no head to any RSA campaign but they are an exception.

If the average young male driver was anywhere near as reckless as we are led to believe then the instances of injured drivers would be much more weighted towards them than they are in the stats from the RSA I posted here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67914305&postcount=26

I find it quite analogous to the opinion of say some Americans with respect to people of certain religions due to the actions of a few radical cases. (just look at the McCain rally vid on youtube for instance)

Laserhead wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's pretty common up here. It never got reported because noone was hurt. There's that attitude among parents here that "boys will be boys"...

Why did you not report it?

ottostreet wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought a supercharged 2 litre Merc would be capable of 155mph.

The SLK of the late 90s early 00s didn't manage 140mph so I too would be surprised if a 2.0 E class Kompresser did 155mph.

• Advertisement
Advertisement