Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater

Options
  • 09-09-2010 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭

This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news.... MP/DT Sept 1985 - Sept 2010
    Mike Portnoy on Twitter

Mike Portnoy on Facebook

Wow, he was pretty much the main man in DT, well him and Petrucci. Wonder where they'll go from here without probably their biggest song-writing contributor and arguably the face of the band.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Oh no :(

One of my favourite drummers in one of my favourite bands

Edit: More info here: http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2585154.aspx

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Looks like the dream has died
    And the theater has crumbled to the ground

Glad i saw them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Hrm, I wonder who the new full time A7X drummer will be!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Damn, I never got to see DT live. It wouldn't be the same without Portnoy

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mike Portony has quit Dream Theeater, in a move that will shock fans of the progressive metal band.
    The drummer has released the following statement:

“After 25 years, I have decided to leave Dream Theater… the band I founded, led and truly loved for a quarter of a century.

“To many people this will come as a complete shock, and will also likely be misunderstood by some, but please believe me that it is not a hasty decision…it is something I have struggled with for the last year or so…

“After having had such amazing experiences playing with Hail!, Transatlantic and Avenged Sevenfold this past year, I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in Dream Theater

“Please don’t misinterpret me, I love the Dream Theater guys dearly and have a long history, friendship and bond that runs incredibly deep with them… it’s just that I think we are in serious need of a little break.

“Dream Theater was always my baby…and I nurtured that baby every single day and waking moment of my life since 1985… 24/7, 365… never taking time off from Dream Theater’s never-ending responsibilites (even when the band was ‘off’ between cycles)… working overtime and way beyond the call of duty that most sane people ever would do for a band.

“But I’ve come to the conclusion that the Dream Theater machine was starting to burn me out…and I really needed a break from the band in order to save my relationship with the other members and keep my Dream Theater spirit hungry and inspired.

“We have been on an endless write/record/tour cycle for almost 20 years now (of which I have overseen EVERY aspect without a break) and while a few months apart from each other here and there over the years has been much needed and helpful, I honestly hoped the band could simply agree with me to taking a bit of a ‘hiatus’ to recharge our batteries and ’save me from ourselves’…

“Sadly, in discussing this with the guys, they determined they do not share my feelings and have decided to continue without me rather than take a breather… I even offered to do some occasional work throughout 2011 against my initial wishes, but it was not to be…

While it truly hurts for me to even think of a Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy (hell, my father named the band!!), I do not want to stand in their way…so I have decided to sacrifice myself and simply leave the band so as to not hold them back against their wishes.

“Strangely enough, I just read an interview that I recently did that asked me about the future of Dream Theater and I talked about ‘always following your heart and being true to yourself’… Sadly, I must say that at this particular moment, my heart is not with Dream Theater…and I would simply be ‘going through the motions,’ and would honestly NOT be true to myself if I stayed for the sake of obligation without taking the break I felt I needed.

“I wish the guys the best and hope the music and legacy we created together is enjoyed by fans for decades to come… I am proud of every album we made, every song we wrote and every show we played…

“I’m sorry to all the disappointed Dream Theater fans around the world… I really tried to salvage the situation and make it work… I honestly just wanted a break (not a split)… but happiness cannot be forced, it needs to come from within.

You Dream Theater fans are the greatest fans in the world and as you all know, I have always busted my ass for you guys and I hope that you will stay with me on my future musical journey, wherever it may lead me…. (and as you all know my work ethic, there will surely be no shortage of future Mike Portnoy projects!)”

The band, though, intend to carry on have said the following:

“To all of our loyal fans and friends: It is with profound sadness — regret — we announce that Mike Portnoy, our lifelong drummer and friend, has decided to leave Dream Theater.
    “Mike’s stature in the band has meant the world to all of us professionally, musically, and personally over the years. There is no dispute: Mike has been a major force within this band.
    “While it is true that Mike is choosing to pursue other ventures and challenges, we can assure you that Dream Theater will continue to move forward with the same intensity — and in the same musical tradition — that you have all helped make so successful, and which is truly gratifying to us.

“Fans and friends: File this episode under Black Clouds And Silver Linings.

“As planned, we begin recording our newest album in January 2011, and we’ll follow that with a full-on world tour.

“All of us in Dream Theater wholeheartedly wish Mike the best on his musical journey. We have had a long and meaningful career together. It is our true hope that he finds all he is looking for, and that he achieves the happiness he deserves. He will be missed

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/mike-portnoy-leaves-dream-theater/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

I cant fu*king believe this lads.. This whole situation wreaks of the remaining Dream Theater memebers questioning Mike's Loyality, and the fact that he needs a break, and not them, also F*ck Avenged Sevenfold.. Logically there's no Drummer on the planet bar Neil Peart or Gavin Harrison, that Dream Theatr fans will accept, and there's no chance in hell of them drumming for Dream Theater, i never thought i'd see Dream Theater carry on without either Portnoy/Petrucci/Myung and the Drummer who gets the gig has damn near impossible boots to fill.. F*CK AVENGED SEVENFOLD..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

F*CK AVENGED SEVENFOLD..

It's hardly their fault... I'm not a fan or anything but why blame them? :confused:

Yeah, I can't imagine who they'll get to play drums. Maybe some crazy unknown Portnoy fanatic :P

You can bet that album won't be recorded for a while.

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    It's hardly their fault... I'm not a fan or anything but why blame them? :confused:

Yeah, I can't imagine who they'll get to play drums. Maybe some crazy unknown Portnoy fanatic :P

You can bet that album won't be recorded for a while.

Im not blaming AX7 per se, but if their fu*king drummer hadn't of overdosed, this situation would never have happened, so yeah fu*k Avenged Sevenfold

Im not blaming AX7 per se, but if their fu*king drummer hadn't of overdosed, this situation would never have happened, so yeah fu*k Avenged Sevenfold

In his statement he mentions playing for a few bands though, saying he had more fun. Can't really blame him wanting to take a step back.

I'm more surprised that DT didn't just agree to take a break rather than have him leave.

In his statement he mentions playing for a few bands though, saying he had more fun. Can't really blame him wanting to take a step back.

I'm more surprised that DT didn't just agree to take a break rather than have him leave.

Honestly.. I'd say thats because with the other bands A7X, Hail, Transatlantic etc, he has little or no responsibility, compared to Dream Theater where, He literally handles everything from the Bands Album Production, Artwork, to Setlists, Interviews, and the general running of the band is all done by Portnoy, I'd say that there's obviously resentment with the other DT members for Portnoy choosing to burn himself out, playing with these bands, and then putting Dream Theater on the back burner.

But tbh on the upside, hopefully this is the thing that finally gets Dream Theater to produce some great "outside the box" Progressive music as since 6DOIT i personally think they have gotten more and more "Metal" and less and less Progressive and tbh that was mostly down to Mike, so im curious to see what direction they go, and if they now finally hire an outside producer, and start writing music in a new way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

This was a surprise to me as it was to anyone, but I can see where Portnoy is coming from. All their albums in the past decade have been released in a one or two year cycle and with the subsequent touring that is involved... sh**, I'd want a break. I'm surprised the other band members didn't agree to a break, bit of resentment there, perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Do you think they'll take a break, he'd be hard to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Do you think they'll take a break, he'd be hard to replace.

From the band release they seem to be continuing without him.

I'm surprised they couldn't agree to take a break of a year or so to salvage the situation tbh. Which backs up what someone said about resentment in the bands towards him.

Some rumours so far, are Joey Jordinson as the replacement?? Interesting but surely not:eek:

Some rumours so far, are Joey Jordinson as the replacement?? Interesting but surely not:eek:

I'd say that's a blatant rumour. Way too early to have someone in mind. They're probably still coming to grips with it themselves.

It will definitely be interesting to see where they go musically though. I definitely agree it would be cool to get some more proggy stuff.

I'd say that's a blatant rumour. Way too early to have someone in mind. They're probably still coming to grips with it themselves.

It will definitely be interesting to see where they go musically though. I definitely agree it would be cool to get some more proggy stuff.

Ah its a blatant rumour for sure but logically the only people i could think of, off the top of my head would possibly be.. Thomas Lang(doubt he'd do it) Blake Richardson from BTBAM, Terry Bozzio and perhaps Rod Morgenstein because of his friendship and recordings with Jordan Rudess, but Jordinson actually wouldn't be a bad choice considering are Slipknot now finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

"I BEG of the fans to please NOT hold A7X responsible for MY decision...they are just as shocked as you guys..I had been contemplating this and desiring a 'break' (not split) as long ago as last year...everything else is fully explained in the press release...thank you all for your support and understanding...this is the hardest thing I've ever done..." - Mike Portnoy

From his Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Ah its a blatant rumour for sure but logically the only people i could think of, off the top of my head would possibly be.. Thomas Lang(doubt he'd do it) Blake Richardson from BTBAM, Terry Bozzio and perhaps Rod Morgenstein because of his friendship and recordings with Jordan Rudess, but Jordinson actually wouldn't be a bad choice considering are Slipknot now finished?

He would be a great choice. Such a fresh sound to his play, and his drumming with Glass Casket was top notch as well as his BTBAM work.

Chris Hornbrook is another that would be an interesting choice imho. Have heard some of his non band play, and he has a very nice Jazz tinged proggy style at times. He is a deceptively good drummer, and one that seems to be improving greatly year on year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

It'd be more likely he'd go to A7X than DT. A7X fans wouldn't mind him there, DT fans would probably pop a blood vessel.

Denny M wrote: »
    It'd be more likely he'd go to A7X than DT. A7X fans wouldn't mind him there, DT fans would probably pop a blood vessel.

The meltdown DT fans would have would actually be hilarious, but then again Jordinson could finally prove to people that hes a great drummer, but yeah A7X would be a better fit for him for sure..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Does this mean he's now free to do the porcupine tree/opeth collab?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

Finally Free

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6ZW0_jmi2Q

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

The news came as a shock alright!!!

I personally can't understand when Mike has spent 25 years devoted to DT; released a fantastic album in Black Clouds & Silver Linings; completed successful tours in support of the album both as headliners and supporting Maiden in the US (and opening DT up to Maiden fans who previously might have not paid them much heed); that he wanted to take a break instead of keeping the momentum going!!!

He says in his statement that he wanted a break, but was this a break to put his feet up? or a break so he could pursue side projects? Knowing Mike's form, he would have found it hard not to be at something, which he acknowledges when saying it won't be long until he's involved in something else. So i can't see DT's constant record / tour /

My opinion is that the rest of the band members wanted to keep the momentum going and capitalise on what has been achieved so far, rather than be jealous in some way of Mike. John Petrucci and John Myung, as co-founders of the band, have every right to want to keep going, it is their life work too!!!

It's a sad day for DT and DT fans, but it could be the start of a new route for the rest of DT. It wouldn't surprise me that the new drummer is a relative unknown from the NY/NJ area that the band members have known for years!!!

I thought Mikael Akerfeldt said they currently didn't need Mike as the songs written so far didn't need drums and weren't metal :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

The news came as a shock alright!!!

I personally can't understand when Mike has spent 25 years devoted to DT; released a fantastic album in Black Clouds & Silver Linings; completed successful tours in support of the album both as headliners and supporting Maiden in the US (and opening DT up to Maiden fans who previously might have not paid them much heed); that he wanted to take a break instead of keeping the momentum going!!!

He says in his statement that he wanted a break, but was this a break to put his feet up? or a break so he could pursue side projects? Knowing Mike's form, he would have found it hard not to be at something, which he acknowledges when saying it won't be long until he's involved in something else. So i can't see DT's constant record / tour /

My opinion is that the rest of the band members wanted to keep the momentum going and capitalise on what has been achieved so far, rather than be jealous in some way of Mike. John Petrucci and John Myung, as co-founders of the band, have every right to want to keep going, it is their life work too!!!

It's a sad day for DT and DT fans, but it could be the start of a new route for the rest of DT. It wouldn't surprise me that the new drummer is a relative unknown from the NY/NJ area that the band members have known for years!!!

Yeah, shocking news, feel broken all day.
    But I'm a huge fan of Portnoy long years, love he's experiments and want to see him happy, like when people are free and do what they feel is better for them so hope see new projects soon.
    25 years it's a long time and in general I think changes are good for Dream Theater too, wish them all the best success in future

Jemmaa wrote: »
    Yeah, shocking news, feel broken all day.
    But I'm a huge fan of Portnoy long years, love he's experiments and want to see him happy, like when people are free and do what they feel is better for them so hope see new projects soon.
    25 years it's a long time and in general I think changes are good for Dream Theater too, wish them all the best success in future

+1 I'm a big fan of Portnoy's work not only with DT, but also the side projects. I'm also a big fan of DT.

It'll freshen things up for all concerned and hope they all continue to make excellent music for many years to come!!

Steven Wilson said a while back he had written a bit with Mikael.

To be honest I never could imagine Portnoy fitting in with those two...

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

What the **** did AX7 do to him!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I hear the drummer from the offspring will be filling in until a replacement can be found.

Should be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

This made me laugh so much hahahah....that feckin' drummer should have realised that by playing around with drugs he was ruining the future of Dream Theater...didn't someone warn him?

Advertisement