Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

This made me laugh so much hahahah....that feckin' drummer should have realised that by playing around with drugs he was ruining the future of Dream Theater...didn't someone warn him?

Dont fu*k with drugs kids..

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Kick to the stomach ... I can't believe this ...

I wish Mike all the best, but surely Dream Theater won't be the same without him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Well F*** this. Absolutely sickened, I'm a huge DT fan, have basically everything they ever released and have been patiently waiting for years to see them as they never go near our fine nation on tour... now I'll never see them, at least as I intended to... DT wont ever be the same without him, and the fact that he could be off to join feckin avenged sevenfold will be a serious boot to the face of DT fans everywhere....

Gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Holy Cow - this was unexpected. Well, not totally unexpected, since MP has clearly enjoyed side projects such as Transatlantic and the Liquid Tension Experiment.

I know who I'd want for the job: Marco Minnemann. Here he is with Paul Gilbert:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Jordan Rudess' musical response to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

spiralism wrote: »
    Well F*** this. Absolutely sickened, I'm a huge DT fan, have basically everything they ever released and have been patiently waiting for years to see them as they never go near our fine nation on tour... now I'll never see them, at least as I intended to...

I feel the same way. I was lucky to catch them at Graspop but last year was anticipating an Irish headline gig at some stage.

It's a shame considering they've toured so extensively over the last few years and haven't played here since 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

After thinking about it a bit more last night I can't believe he's actually left after so long. They've been around more than 25 years and he leaves now. Kinda sad really.

They definitely won't be the same now. It'll be any one's guess what the next album will sound like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    It's hardly their fault... I'm not a fan or anything but why blame them? :confused:

I blame them for everything, so why stop now;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

This evening I put on the Scenes From A Memory DVD (2000), just for a reminder. This was the gig at which they played for something like 4 hours, Mike drummed himself to a standstill - he had to be hospitalized for dehydration afterwards. I'm not that fond of "Scenes" itself - a bit melodramatic - but I can't fault the musicianship, especially MP. The bonus tracks are cracking, including full versions of A Mind Beside Itself and A Change Of Seasons.

PS: I've been meaning to read the book Portnoy's Complaint for years, but I don't think I'll bother now. :p
    Portnoy's Complaint: A disorder in which strongly felt ethical and altruistic impulses are perpetually warring with extreme sexual longings, often of a perverse nature...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

James LaBrie has now issued the following statement about the situation:
    "Hi Everyone, Thought I would give you time to digest the news of Mike's departure. Mike stated that he was burnt out with the DT world and needed a break. We have to respect where he is at and where this will lead him at this particular point in time. With that being said, we are more than pumped to continue the legacy of DT and jump full on into the next chapter. Rest assured it will be great. You can count on it.

John Petrucci also added:
    "Obviously you've all heard the news of Mike's departure from Dream Theater by now. I felt it important to open up a line of communication in an effort to kill any rumors and to promote clarity. I love Mike and really hope he's happy and successful in whatever he does. I realize that Mike was always the one to actively stay in touch with our fans, and I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to try to be at least a bit more present on both mine and DT's websites and to let you all know that I am here.

"To me, Dream Theater's story is one of defying the odds, standing for true integrity in music and creating our own success through perseverance and hard work, so although Mike's leaving is heartbreaking, I still look forward to an amazing musical journey that continues on with some of the most talented and respected musicians and composers on the planet!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

anyone else really feel the rest of DT basically did a serious f*** you to him....dont know what to expect now...and of all thhe bands a7x :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Blerdiii wrote: »
    anyone else really feel the rest of DT basically did a serious f*** you to him....dont know what to expect now...and of all thhe bands a7x :rolleyes:
    Of all the bands A7X what? He hasn't said he left DT to join them or anything, made it pretty clear it's not their fault..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

Denny M wrote: »
    Of all the bands A7X what? He hasn't said he left DT to join them or anything, made it pretty clear it's not their fault..
    oh no i know he didnt! know its nothing to them just personally i dont like them much so having him even nif just for a while :P

Dream Theater guitarist John Petrucci has posted the following statement online, in which he claims the band have now found the new drummer;

"Hey, everyone. Wanted to quickly let you all know what's been happening lately.

"I know that the big question is 'Who is the new Dream Theater drummer?' I also realize that some people are getting frustrated waiting for the news.

"Well, auditions went great and we do have someone but we are spending some time getting everything in order before making an official announcement. Let me just say that we are all incredibly excited about our choice and just bursting at the seams to let the world know!

"I've been demoing tunes for my next solo record at my home as well as writing and cataloguing riffs and ideas for the new DREAM THEATER album. We'll be in the studio come January which is already just around the corner. Can't wait!

"Been working on and developing a few new signature products which will be released soon. Stay tuned for details. Also, I've recorded a few demo videos for some of the gear companies I endorse which should be available to view soon. The one for the Zoom Q3HD is already up."

Metalunderground.com

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Gonna be Mike Mangini or Marco Minneman....all the M's:D

Virgil Donati? :D

Whoever it is going to be you can bet he will be a musician of the highest technical ability. New material should also be interesting to hear seeing as the member that was a major creative input of the band is gone.

Well Mike Mangini has cancelled ass his plans for next year, and person who works with him mentioned something about having last session with him in last few days as he'll be a busy man.

Take it for what its worth, but I think it adds up. Similar happened for System reunion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Mushy wrote: »
    Well Mike Mangini has cancelled ass his plans

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!!!!!

Fo real bra????

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!!!!!

Fo real bra????

S isn't even close to L:o

Mike Mangini has cancelled ass
    S isn't even close to L:o

A Freudian slip there Mushy? ;)

• Advertisement

Passenger wrote: »
    A Freudian slip there Mushy? ;)

Ok, how about we start over? Hi, I'm brian, Mike leaving DT rabble rabble, Mike Mangini is looking likely to be new drummer as he has finished ALL his lessons with somebody, who said he'll be busy for the next while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

1291846323798.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jem_

http://www.facebook.com/#!/note.php?note_id=161577267220055&comments

Yes, the rumours are true...sadly my time with Avenged Sevenfold has come to an end...

The band has decided to carry on into 2011 without me...I had a great time with them throughout 2010, but it was their choice to end the relationship at the end of 2010 as was always the initial plan....
    I had an awesome time on stage with the guys every night and have so many cool memories from the experience with them...I am proud to always be part of the A7X family and history.

I also adore the A7X fans and totally appreciate the way they welcomed me aboard and were so loving and supportive during my time with the band...thank you!

As far as my future, I am excited by the endless musical possibilities that lie ahead of me...my love for music runs very deep and my taste is very broad and ecclectic which will give me the chance to explore many different things and collaborate with many great friends and artists I admire and respect...

Happy Holidaze to you all and c-ya in the New Year,
    MP

Sadly me arse!

He did put up something on twitter bout wanting to talk bout something but couldn't yet. Wonder what it is!

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=151067
    AVENGED SEVENFOLD Singer: PORTNOY Was Too 'Press Release-Happy' Regarding DREAM THEATER Split - Dec. 17, 2010

AVENGED SEVENFOLD frontman M. Shadows told The Pulse Of Radiothat the band was not happy about the public way in which drummer Mike Portnoy's split with his former group DREAM THEATER was played out, which may have soured Portnoy's relationship with AVENGED, ultimately causing his departure from the Orange County, California-based act. "We were actually a little more shocked," M. Shadows said. "We felt that maybe both parties could have handled it a little more internally without being so press release-happy about what had happened between them. Because we're a band that, really, when it comes to news all over web sites or this or that about bands, you know, we don't tweet much, we don't try to put ourselves out that much, and all the drama and controversy wasn't something that we wanted at all."

Oh M. Shadows you silly ****ing bastard! Not a word of thanks to the man who filled in to help them in a difficult time/situation. Portnoy showed his class through the whole situation, then this little egotistical dick comes along with this.

On what planet did A7X think that Mike Portnoy leaving Dream Theater wouldn't be HUGE news? Sour grapes that it got more attention than their bad news. And criticising the use of the media and then to come out through the media with that...pathetic.

This coming from a band who have pulled out of Australian dates cos they were offered either an afternoon slot or to clash with Maiden...ie. smaller crowds.They really need a reality check. They had a great opportunity to incorporate a legend, someone who'll continually boost the bands profile (and already has in a big way). Don't think I have felt this much hatred for that band in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Where many think MP has an ego problem, what about M Shadows and co?

Firstly they take the huff on the Aus Festival thinking they could compete with Maiden, now they slag off Mike after all he did for them!!!

I wish they would crawl back under a rock in the Mojave Desert or else show some respect \m/

Where many think MP has an ego problem, what about M Shadows and co?

Firstly they take the huff on the Aus Festival thinking they could compete with Maiden, now they slag off Mike after all he did for them!!!

I wish they would crawl back under a rock in the Mojave Desert or else show some respect \m/

Where did people say MP has an ego problem?:eek:

To add to the list of egotistical problems....saw them in Paris supporting Maiden, the swagger on them, demanding the crowd pay them respect when they barely put any emotion into the performance, thinking they deserved to have praise lavished upon them. Thank Christ they pissed off after 25 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Well I was hoping to catch them live next year if Portnoy was in tow... that's that scuppered then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Where did people say MP has an ego problem?:eek:

Pretty much everywhere bar maybe this little hovel and the fellatio-fest that is Portnoy's official forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Kess73 wrote: »
    Mike Portony has quit Dream Theeater, in a move that will shock fans of the progressive metal band.
    The drummer has released the following statement:

“After 25 years, I have decided to leave Dream Theater… the band I founded, led and truly loved for a quarter of a century.

“Dream Theater was always my baby…and I nurtured that baby every single day and waking moment of my life since 1985… 24/7, 365… never taking time off from Dream Theater’s never-ending responsibilites (even when the band was ‘off’ between cycles)… working overtime and way beyond the call of duty that most sane people ever would do for a band.

“But I’ve come to the conclusion that the Dream Theater machine was starting to blah blah blah[/URL]

maybe he should join a jazz quartet cos f**k me, he can't half blow his own trumpet

Advertisement