Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MakeNine

Well, on the bright side the next album will lack Portnoy's backing vocals, and maybe we'll get a proper prog album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm holding to my prediction that Marco Minnemann has the job. The band are definitely aware of him - he played a Musical Mind Meld gig with Jordan Rudess earlier this month. The only question mark is whether he'd want the job ... ;)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Mushy wrote: »
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=151067

Oh M. Shadows you silly ****ing bastard! Not a word of thanks to the man who filled in to help them in a difficult time/situation. Portnoy showed his class through the whole situation, then this little egotistical dick comes along with this.

On what planet did A7X think that Mike Portnoy leaving Dream Theater wouldn't be HUGE news? Sour grapes that it got more attention than their bad news. And criticising the use of the media and then to come out through the media with that...pathetic.

This coming from a band who have pulled out of Australian dates cos they were offered either an afternoon slot or to clash with Maiden...ie. smaller crowds.They really need a reality check. They had a great opportunity to incorporate a legend, someone who'll continually boost the bands profile (and already has in a big way). Don't think I have felt this much hatred for that band in a long time.

I can't stand Avenged Sevenfold but I agree with the Shadows fella. It seemed Portnoy was press releasing all over the place. I was well sick of reading his ramblings when he should have been concentrating on his new gig. They were annoying in a sugary trying-to-be-the-victim-all-the-time kind of way too. Man up.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Den_M wrote: »
    I can't stand Avenged Sevenfold but I agree with the Shadows fella. It seemed Portnoy was press releasing all over the place. I was well sick of reading his ramblings when he should have been concentrating on his new gig. They were annoying in a sugary trying-to-be-the-victim-all-the-time kind of way too. Man up.

I can't stnad them either and I love DT, but MP's fondness of tweeting and blogging is well known, he'd nearly do it between songs. Avenged Sevenfold should have known that when he came on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

John Petrucci interview. Interesting.

"What’s the biggest lesson you learned this year?"

"Don't let your drummer fill in for another band."

"What’s your new year’s resolution?"

"To use all my creative resources in making the next DT album and tour the best possible and to be more connected with our fans."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭fuzztone

Apparently Mike tried to rejoin DT but his offer was declined:

"Just for the record, this is indeed true..

Fairly recently, I reached out to the guys to try and make amends and offered to reconcile for the sake of having peace back in our lives...(plus I know how much it meant to alot of the fans...)

I figured it was still possible to try and save us because they hadn't made any announcements yet or begun any public activity with another drummer...but sadly, they declined my offer (well, actually their lawyer did...they didn't even tell me themselves....)

Sorry gang, I honestly gave it my all...
    So now the fans on my twitter and facebook can please stop asking me to go back to DT...I tried, and the door is now shut...the ball is now in their court, not mine...

PS - I'm not crying or looking for mercy by posting this...I am merely trying to set the record straight as that is always the most important thing about my relationship with you guys...no BS, no spins, nothing to hide...and for better or for worse, I tell it like it is...

I've also recently seen some people accuse my online activity of "looking for attention or media coverage" or "looking for sympathy", but it's honestly none of the above...I merely value having an open and active communication with my fans...always have, always will...it is the cornerstone of everything I've done since day #1 with DT....

This was posted here FOR YOU GUYS to know about...here on MY message board on MY website....if it ends up on Blabbermouth or wherever else, that is THEIR choice to spread, I did not request it or send out a "press release"....

Anyways, onward and upward...
    I've got alot of great music and ideas waiting to come out of me and alot of exciting collaborations in the works....so goodbye 2010...bring on 2011!

MP "

fuzztone wrote: »
    Apparently Mike tried to rejoin DT but his offer was declined:

"Just for the record, this is indeed true..

Fairly recently, I reached out to the guys to try and make amends and offered to reconcile for the sake of having peace back in our lives...(plus I know how much it meant to alot of the fans...)

I figured it was still possible to try and save us because they hadn't made any announcements yet or begun any public activity with another drummer...but sadly, they declined my offer (well, actually their lawyer did...they didn't even tell me themselves....)

Sorry gang, I honestly gave it my all...
    So now the fans on my twitter and facebook can please stop asking me to go back to DT...I tried, and the door is now shut...the ball is now in their court, not mine...

PS - I'm not crying or looking for mercy by posting this...I am merely trying to set the record straight as that is always the most important thing about my relationship with you guys...no BS, no spins, nothing to hide...and for better or for worse, I tell it like it is...

I've also recently seen some people accuse my online activity of "looking for attention or media coverage" or "looking for sympathy", but it's honestly none of the above...I merely value having an open and active communication with my fans...always have, always will...it is the cornerstone of everything I've done since day #1 with DT....

This was posted here FOR YOU GUYS to know about...here on MY message board on MY website....if it ends up on Blabbermouth or wherever else, that is THEIR choice to spread, I did not request it or send out a "press release"....

Anyways, onward and upward...
    I've got alot of great music and ideas waiting to come out of me and alot of exciting collaborations in the works....so goodbye 2010...bring on 2011!

MP "

He made an arse of himself there. The rest of DT did the right thing in not accepting im back imo. I'd say this will put to bed the rumours of a big reunion for DT's 30th Anniversary in a few years!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

What a mess... I can totally understand Portnoy wanting Dream Theater to take a break in the first place as their album/tour cycles have been one after the other since they started. Seems like the other band members were resentful of Portnoy filling in for Avenged Sevenfold.

Avenged Sevenfold say the plan was always for Portnoy to play with the band only through 2010, but that was mainly because Portnoy had to return to recording/touring duties with Dream Theater. So there must have been a rupture in the relationship there as well. It's a shame although I have little respect for Avenged Sevenfold after that Soundwave debacle.

While I don't think making attempts to rejoin Dream Theater was the best move, I admire Portnoy for taking the time to communicate and be open with his fans... seems like a rarity in this industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

This drummer should be hired:) Know he's heavily rumoured so heres hoping.

DT have entered the studio with the new (as yet unnamed) drummer.

John Petrucci issued the following brief update:

"First day in the studio and the dawn of a new era for DT. Can't wait to get the music flowing."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

It certainly will be a new era for them without Portnoy's imput on songs.

I'm looking forward to hearing what they come out with. I think it could be better than previous attempts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

rednik wrote: »

These supergroup's are always worth watching, given the talent. But there are a few questions regarding Portnoy as a creative and influential entity in the Rock/Metal world, until he releases something. His booting from Avenged Sevenfold (if that's what it was) and subsequent plea to rejoin DT says a lot.

Hope it is good though and that he moves on and does some interesting stuff now with other musicians.

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/

There is a change to this page recently....anyone spot it?

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/

There is a change to this page recently....anyone spot it?
    I'm seeing something distinctly out of place... I haven't been watching his page, so I don't know whether that's a change or an oversight...

In related news, I was wrong, it seems.

— Kingsley Amis

I haven't been following the page but is it "Mike Portnoy is a founding member and Drummer of Dream Theater"?

That's what I saw - but if there was anything to it, I'd expect the folks on his forum to be all over it. If there is any News, expect another Press Release from Mike. :p

— Kingsley Amis

I haven't been following the page but is it "Mike Portnoy is a founding member and Drummer of Dream Theater"?

Yeah its not so much the "is" part, its more that it still says member. I remember that saying ex-drummer a while back.

Yeah its not so much the "is" part, its more that it still says member. I remember that saying ex-drummer a while back.

Now you're gonna tell us that their new drummer is actually Portnoy, and it was all a ruse.

Don't read too much into stuff like that. It's pretty innocuous.

:)

Passenger wrote: »
    Now you're gonna tell us that their new drummer is actually Portnoy, and it was all a ruse.

Don't read too much into stuff like that. It's pretty innocuous.

:)

I know but the sentimental side to me will always want MP in that band.

• Advertisement

I know but the sentimental side to me will always want MP in that band.

It would have been better had he not left in the first place. I don't know if it would be a good idea if he came back at this stage; might it cause friction in the band? Would he want to take on the figurehead role again? Or would his personality allow the other members to take on a more involved role in the running of DT?

It would have been better had he not left in the first place. I don't know if it would be a good idea if he came back at this stage; might it cause friction in the band? Would he want to take on the figurehead role again? Or would his personality allow the other members to take on a more involved role in the running of DT?

All very genuine questions. From what I see and think, if he was to be back in now (major if), he'd be there at the whim of the others, he'd have lost all control he had before. Input yes, control no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

You know to an extent I wouldn't be too surprised if he came back. And him having less input could be a good thing.

All though I think it'd be good for DT to release an album without him... Just to see what kind of stuff they come out with.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Didn't he want less involvment anyway?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Didn't he want less involvment anyway?

That's the impression he gave when telling everyone how much he was enjoying the Transatlantic and Avenged Sevenfold experiences. But, if he got back into DT, I'd say he'd revert to his old self and try and run everything, having read "Lifting Shadows" by Rich Wilson he came across as a control freak.

Granted he did a lot of work for Dream Theater, but his constantly referring to the band as his baby drives me nuts: John Myung and John Petrucci are also founding members!!!

A certain Mike Mangini has left his position as percussion instructor at Berklee. While not conformation of course, its a strong indication as to who has it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

A certain Mike Mangini has left his position as percussion instructor at Berklee. While not conformation of course, its a strong indication as to who has it.

Ooh, Mike Magini is pretty freakin' good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jem_

What that a vid of? Cant see on mobile....boo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jem_

What that a vid of? Cant see on mobile....boo!
    Oh don't be sad there's nothing insulting just
    =======================================================
    Mike Portnoy Updates Us On His New & Upcoming Projects

Mike has "a few things up his sleeve."

"..If you ask me, those are some bad-ass sleeves. He's all over the map: Beatles tribute band with old friends in Yellow Matter Custard, just off the road 3 months ago from a long trek with Avenged Sevenfold, and now he's cooking up something special with some of the most talented artists in the metal & Prog rock world of our decade.."

=======================================================

http://www.hard-rock-reviews.com/2011/03/music-news-mike-portnoy-updates-us-on.html

Advertisement