Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Mushy wrote: »
    A certain Mike Mangini has left his position as percussion instructor at Berklee. While not conformation of course, its a strong indication as to who has it.

LaBrie's solo band... correct? he's excellent...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Check him out performing flight of the bumblebee on the drums... epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Latest news: the band should be announcing MP's replacement soon. They're going to release a video about the process, including a reality TV style competition, apparently. (?) Seven drummers took part in a 3-day audition / jam session, with cameras. Lots of details here, and the drummers are named here: Thomas Lang, Aquiles Priester, Virgil Donati, Mike Mangini, Marco Minneman, Derek Roddy, and Peter Wildoer.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

If not Land, then Priester or Donati ple

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

bnt wrote: »
    Latest news: the band should be announcing MP's replacement soon. They're going to release a video about the process, including a reality TV style competition, apparently. (?) Seven drummers took part in a 3-day audition / jam session, with cameras.

Feck sake :mad:. Just tell us who his replacement is. Are DT going to draw this out over a number of videos with a drummer eliminated each week or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

That trailer is pure cheese. I can't believe they're actually doing this. Talk about a kick in the teeth to Portnoy as well by making a f*cking drama out of it.

All though, I am looking forward to seeing some clips of the different drummers jamming with them. It'll be cool to see do our own opinions differ much to who they chose in the end.

That trailer was awful, but it will be awesome to see those 7 drummers play with DT. I only really know Derek Roddy from his time with Nile and wouldn't have thought of him as a potential replacement. Would love to see if/how he would gel with DT's music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Would be cool to see all those auditions but if they make it into some reality tv show that eliminates one each video until we get the actual replacement it would be stupid.
    So many excellent drummers there and im looking forward to seeing them play DT songs.
    Mike Mangini is my bet anyway, seems like the best fit although iv never really seen some of the other drummers like wildoer and priester in action

Apparently the kit at the end is Mike Manginis....that could be an epic fail if (when) it happens.

Just went to Dream Theater's website there. It seems you have to sign up on their facebook page for updates on finding a new drummer and to find out when the announcement will be made. Don't have a facebook account myself so would appreciate anyone who does if they would post any info here when they get it.

• Advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/roadrunnerrecords

That is episode 1. Did not embed as its 20 mins long.

You know that wasn't as horribly cheesy as I was expecting it to be. I'm actually glad they decided to record it! Would be better if they released it all in one go though, all though I bet this is like a big warm up for the new album.

I'm looking forward to the next episode of it anyway. Mangini seemed excellent. Can't fault his knowledge of the songs they've all ready written. It didn't show much of the improv though, which it seems will be more emphasised on the later episodes.

Yeah I wish they had shown more rehearsal footage, particularly the improv stuff. The first ten minutes or so were fairly cheesy, but hopefully thats out of the way and the next two parts will just focus on auditions.

The second episode is up now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vaDfcKzLbY

Marco Minemann is brilliant, but I just can't see DT going for any of the guys in this episode of it... I get the feeling it's gonna be Mangini

You can see why Marco was my first pick for the job - he has that same "idiot glee" I saw in MP in the early days of DT. You know, that look on his face that says "I like to hit things!" biggrin.gif Plus he has the progressive credentials, after working with the likes of Adrian Belew, Eddie Jobson and Mike Keneally. Odd time signatures are no biggie. But he's already stated publicly that he doesn't have the job.

I'm also listening to the drum sound and feel, and I have to say that Thomas has sounded the best so far - despite the hiccups in his playing.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

bnt wrote: »

I'm also listening to the drum sound and feel, and I have to say that Thomas has sounded the best so far - despite the hiccups in his playing.

Yeah, I think it's tough to find someone who can match the old songs that they're used to, and also bring something new to the table. I'd imagine Mangini tried putting his own slant on things too. Maybe they just didn't notice as much cause he was lucky enough to have gone first

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Mangini appears to have it in the bag so far. Petrucci said; "The only one who played the stuff where it felt like home was Mike Mangini." He does seem to fit the personality of the band the best. Some of the others seemed to "reinterpret" some of the drum parts, which may be a deciding factor for the band. You can't fault any of those drummers technically however.

Mangini plays with such passion and conviction, look at his face when he plays. Hitting each drum and symbal with as much power as the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

These videos are bringing me the kind of joy I can only imagine a schoolgirl feels buying her first X Factor winner's single.

Passenger wrote: »
    Some of the others seemed to "reinterpret" some of the drum parts, which may be a deciding factor for the band.

I think they're being a bit harsh in that respect. If I was going for that audition I'd be thinking what can I add in or change to stick out from the crowd.
    I would have thought DT would appreciate a bit of creativity rather than playing the songs verbatim. But I guess they want to save that for the jam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Part 3 is up
    Mike Mangini got the job

• Advertisement

Delighted for him. He definitely seemed most likely alright. His emotion at the end was great, he truly wanted it. Can't wait to see him in action.

EDIT: I'm leaving this link to a picture of the new drummers setup. If you don't want to know who it is, don't click the link.

http://ow.ly/i/aW37

I cant stop laughing its so ridiculous.

I'm not too surprised with the choice. I prefer Marco myself, but I think
    Mangini
    fits the personality of the band more.

Be interesting to hear how different the new album is compared to the last couple of releases.

Not too surprised with the choice either.
    Didn't someone here say that he left his job at Berkeley around the time following the auditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Proper goosebumps! Delighted for him, and the whole band - bring on the new album :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Always rated him as a great drummer but never knew how much of a beast he was until i saw the auditions.
    Same with Virgil Donati, the technical aspect of their drumming is mindblowing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

Mob Adrenaline is the name chosen for the new project of ex-drummer of Dream Theater Mike Portnoy. It promises much as an amazing lineup would not surprise me they finished making the competition the very Dream Theater, because it is another supergroup :
    • Mike Portnoy (ex-Dream Theater, Avenged Sevenfold) - Battery
    • Russell Allen (Symphony X) - Voices
    • Mike Orlando - Guitar
    • Rich Ward (Stuck Mojo, Fozzy) - Guitar
    • Paul DiLeo - Low
    None needs an introduction, but aside from Mike Portnoy, we can say that Russell Allen is one of the best vocalists in progressive metal, and it has proved not only by Symphony X, but in collaborations with Star One or Jørn Lande. Mike Orlando is a guitar virtuoso, considered one of the best of times, and known for his work titled Sonic and Sonic Stomp Stomp II.
    The lineup is completed by Rich "The Duke" Ward is not only a founding member of rap-metal group Stuck Mojo, but has the lead guitar work of metalheads Fozzy, and Paul DiLeo, bassist who has worked with several renowned artists Paul Simon and Joe Lynn Turner.
    And how sound the Adrenaline Mob ? Well we will leave doubts soon as its live debut will take place on Friday June 24 in New York, where he played some of his songs plus some versions of classic tracks.

http://en.wikinoticia.com/entertainment/Music/88409-adrenaline-mob-the-new-group-of-mike-portnoy

Official Adrenaline Mob page

http://www.youtube.com/adrenalinemob1#p/a/u/0/wFKeo8h_K_k

PS: in case anyone needs another Marco Minnemann fix, he's in new supergroup The Aristocrats, with Bryan Beller (Vai, Mike Keneally, Dethklok) and Guthrie Govan (Asia, Guitarist magazine journo, stunt guitarist). Here's what they sound like:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

LOL, gets interesting

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=163477
    According to Courthouse News Service, ex-DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy filed a lawsuit against his former bandmates in April claiming that they "wrongfully excluded" him from the group and are "wrongfully using the name of the band in connection with [their] recording of an album without the participation or consent of [Portnoy]." In addition, the drummer's complaint, which was filed on April 27, alleges that the defendants — John Petrucci (guitar), John Myung (bass), Jordan Rudess (keyboards), James LaBrie (vocals), along with associated companies Ytse Jam, Inc. and Infinity Tours, Inc. — "are wrongfully using the name of the band in connection with the promotion of live performances by the individual defendants, without the participation or consent of [Portnoy]."

In an August 2011 interview with the Greek edition of Rock Hard magazine, Portnoy stated about his departure from DREAM THEATER, "I didn't make the decision to leave DREAM THEATER before [hooking up with] AVENGED SEVENFOLD [as their touring drummer], but I knew that something had to change in the DREAM THEATER camp. It's unfortunate that it was me that had to change, because I never wanted to leave the band — it was never my intention; I never wanted the split. I just merely thought that the band really could use a break, because I think the romance was really dying — backstage and between [the members] personally. 25 years without a break is a very, very, very long time and sometimes these relationships need a break from each other to rekindle the flame. So that's all I suggested. And even before I [went on the road] with AVENGED SEVENFOLD, I remember touring with [the progressive rock project] TRANSATLANTIC at the beginning of 2010 and already knowing that something was wrong in the DREAM THEATER world and that I really needed a break from the guys and the whole DREAM THEATER machine. I knew something was brewing and I knew that I was unhappy, and as has been well documented elsewhere, I merely just wanted a break. But unfortunately, those guys [the rest of DREAM THEATER] didn't see it that way and didn't respect my request for time off. It's unfortunate [that it turned out that way]."

Portnoy, who co-founded DREAM THEATER more than 20 years ago, announced his departure from the band in September 2010 while on tour with AVENGED SEVENFOLD. He has since been replaced by Mike Mangini (ANNIHILATOR, EXTREME, JAMES LABRIE, STEVE VAI).

Portnoy played on AVENGED SEVENFOLD's latest album, "Nightmare", following the death of that band's drummer, Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan, and toured with them for the entire second half of 2010.

DREAM THEATER's new album, "A Dramatic Turn Of Events", was released on September 13 via Roadrunner Records.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have thought I'd say this a year ago, but I am just sick of hearing about Mike Portnoy at the moment. As much as I love him as a drummer, I wish he would just let the situation go, move on and let DT move on without him - which to be fair they are. Well done Mike, you just burned any bridges that might have been left between you and DT.

Advertisement