Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upc internet

• 09-09-2010 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Right, I'm concidering upc but want to know a few things first before ordering.

Is it defiently 42 euro per month for the 30mb broadband? There is a upc tv box in the house we are renting but ot sure if it's in use. Does that mean we're not charged the 7.75 (extra per month if not already on existing t.v package).

When giving my bank details for the internet, could someone use the t.v to order or watch pay per view or VOD channels that'd be charged to the account holder(me) immediatly no questions asked and no phone numbers to ring?

Any other hidden ways where i could be charged and not know it?

Much appreciated:o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Moved from IrelandOffline > Broadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I have UPC for phone and broadband but not TV and the total cost on my monthly bill is: €34.71 (for the BB +21% VAT) + €6.40 (standalone charge +21% VAT) = €49.75 per month total, so if you include the "standalone charge" that you have to pay if you don't get the triple play of TV+BB+Tel off them, it actually works out at 25c short of €50 per month for the 30mbps broadband, altho the phoneline is only an extra €6 inc. VAT. you need digital TV too tho to qualify for the triple play discount which drops that 'standalone' charge.

as for the TV port, the basic cable TV (i.e. cable straight into the TV with no digibox) is 'always on' once a single service is enabled on that line, be it digital TV, phone or broadband and they couldn't turn it off even if they wanted to (well maybe they could, but they don't), although technically the basic TV service is still a paid subscription and just plugging a TV into it would count as theft of service so it's not something I'd recommend.

chances are, when the technician comes to install the modem, he'll just disconnect the TV connection if it's there, so they won't have it unless they go to the bother of buying a splitter and connecting it back up again themselves. i'm pretty sure the basic analogue TV is only a couple of uuro anyway, so it might be worth getting it enabled if someone wants it and doesn't mind paying.

that said, you can't get any PPV channels on the basic analogue TV service, so you've nothing to worry about there on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

vibe666 wrote: »
    I have UPC for phone and broadband but not TV and the total cost on my monthly bill is: €34.71 (for the BB +21% VAT) + €6.40 (standalone charge +21% VAT) = €49.75 per month total, so if you include the "standalone charge" that you have to pay if you don't get the triple play of TV+BB+Tel off them, it actually works out at 25c short of €50 per month for the 30mbps broadband, altho the phoneline is only an extra €6 inc. VAT. you need digital TV too tho to qualify for the triple play discount which drops that 'standalone' charge.

as for the TV port, the basic cable TV (i.e. cable straight into the TV with no digibox) is 'always on' once a single service is enabled on that line, be it digital TV, phone or broadband and they couldn't turn it off even if they wanted to (well maybe they could, but they don't), although technically the basic TV service is still a paid subscription and just plugging a TV into it would count as theft of service so it's not something I'd recommend.

chances are, when the technician comes to install the modem, he'll just disconnect the TV connection if it's there, so they won't have it unless they go to the bother of buying a splitter and connecting it back up again themselves. i'm pretty sure the basic analogue TV is only a couple of uuro anyway, so it might be worth getting it enabled if someone wants it and doesn't mind paying.

that said, you can't get any PPV channels on the basic analogue TV service, so you've nothing to worry about there on that front.

Thanks!..So what your saying is, if we're getting the broadband only it will cost just short of 50euro?

You see the account will be in my name and there is already a t.v box there..not sure what channels are on it but i don't want people ordering films and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if nobody is paying a subscription for TV then i'm *almost* certain they can't order PPV shows, although you might want to get someone in the cable tv forum to confirm that 100% before you sign anything. :)

and yes, despite evryone here having it in their head that it's €40 a month (including me), unless you have all 3 services from them and get that discount down to €42, it's just shy of fifty bones a month for the 30mbps package altho it might well be getting the speed upgraded next month if we're lucky. or not, the jury is still out on that one. :)

Advertisement