Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fuel Allowance

• 09-09-2010 7:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭

Does anyone know when you receive payment for fuel allowance, I applied and sent in my form, havent received it yet.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

September/October to around April/May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭SuperTyper

Tks a mill:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

how much is the fuel allowence?

AFAIK it is 20 euro pw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

fuel allowance is running from the 30/09/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

dont forget that if you are in a smokeless fuel area you can claim a smokeless fuel allowance its an extra €3 ish not a lot i know but every little helps:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

can anyone on jobseekers claim for this. my house does be cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

As far as I can tell, it depends on what benefits you're receiving and for how long.

www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/extra-social-welfare-benefits/fuel_allowance

When is the winter fuel allowance coming back?

And what has happened to the extra help that was promised to co act against the increases for the Carbon Tax as promised in the budget?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bcommercial

I think if you're on job-seekers you have to be long term unemployed over 15 months before you can apply. It was 20 euro/wk but after the Gorm's new carbon tax came in it was said that allowance would be made for this increase in the fuel allowance ...however have heard nothing about this since (why am I not surprised!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Does not apply if you are in a shared household, unless all tenants qualify for rent allowance i.e., be in receipt of the required social welfare stuff.

Even still under those circumstances, it would be fuel allowance per household, not individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Darlughda wrote: »
    Does not apply if you are in a shared household, unless all tenants qualify for rent allowance i.e., be in receipt of the required social welfare stuff.

Thats not true i know friends who got it last year in a house and only 2 of them were on the dole 2 others were working full time, maybe when applying they didn't put all the correct facts on the form !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

gustafo wrote: »
    Darlughda wrote: »

Thats not true i know friends who got it last year in a house and only 2 of them were on the dole 2 others were working full time, maybe when applying they didn't put all the correct facts on the form !!!!
    :confused:
    sorry,not any wiser after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

yabadabado wrote: »
    fuel allowance is running from the 30/09/10.

Is this confirmed? the last update on the social welfares site dates back to 2009? why does this not surprise me?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Hi
    got my fuel allowance today with my dole. Got 20euro

So should be there for you too this week.

Fran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭marlie2005

Hi,

Was down in the post office this morning and was hoping i might get my fuel allowance this week but i didn't.
    Do we have to re-apply or is it from next week in the wexford area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

marlie2005 wrote: »
    Hi,

Was down in the post office this morning and was hoping i might get my fuel allowance this week but i didn't.
    Do we have to re-apply or is it from next week in the wexford area?

i didn't get mine also even though this is my first year applying for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭chasm

I'm open to correction here but i think the reason some people received the payment this week and some did not is due to the fact that some payments are paid weekly in advance (like disability allowance for instance) and some payments are paid weekly in arrears (like JA and JB).

So those paid in arrears should get it next week, as the payment starts on the first payment week in september, hope this helps;)

Hi
    Chasm - I'm on JSA and got it this week. First time I ever got it too.

Don't know whats going on.

Fran

• Advertisement

Fran79 wrote: »
    Hi
    Chasm - I'm on JSA and got it this week. First time I ever got it too.

Don't know whats going on.

Fran

Me Too, got it for the first time this week on applying a couple of weeks ago so there may be an issue with those who did not recieve it as they had expected to. I believe if you had previously been in receipt of the allowance and circumstances have not change, the payment is automatic and rolled over for the following year. Maybe worth investigating for those who did not get it and had expected it.

Got mine today, tks for the replies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

No sign of the Fuel allowance today, made some enquiries and the application is just held up in the queue of paperwork!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭marlie2005

No sign of mine either yesterday, so i rang the office seems like they cut me off from it and i had to re-apply again..
    forms are sent off for the second time lets hope it might come through next week..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jon dory

Does anyone know if you are on Jobseekers Benefit and in receipt of Supplimentry Welfare from HSE and Live alone if you get Fuel allowance. the welfare website seems to indicate you do.

jon dory wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you are on Jobseekers Benefit and in receipt of Supplimentry Welfare from HSE and Live alone if you get Fuel allowance. the welfare website seems to indicate you do.

No. Jobseeker's Benefit is not a qualifying scheme for fuel allowance.

cAr0l wrote: »
    No. Jobseeker's Benefit is not a qualifying scheme for fuel allowance.

But if iyou are in receipt on Supplementary Welfare and live alone as per the welfare website rules are you not entitled to it, as it does not state long term JSA and Sup Welfare but JSA or Sup Welfare?
    Rules

You may qualify for a fuel allowance if you are getting:
    • Basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance
    • Social Security Pension from an EE/EEA country or a country with whom Ireland has a bilateral social security agreement
    • Special Department of Defence Allowance
    • You are taking part in Back to Work Allowance (BTWA), Back to Work Enterprise Allowance (BTWEA), Rural Social Scheme, Revenue Job Assist or FÁS Community Employment and are entitled to keep your secondary benefits
    And
    You live alone or only with:

I don't know why you would be getting both Jobseeker's benefit and Supplementary Welfare. But as you are getting the 2 payments, they look at what 2 they are. As it is Jobseeker's Benefit is your main payment, there is no fuel entitlement on JSB, so you wouldn't be entitled to fuel.

cAr0l wrote: »
    I don't know why you would be getting both Jobseeker's benefit and Supplementary Welfare. But as you are getting the 2 payments, they look at what 2 they are. As it is Jobseeker's Benefit is your main payment, there is no fuel entitlement on JSB, so you wouldn't be entitled to fuel.

Agreed, I was also confused about how two payments were being given, particularly as the contributor is living alone. Fuel allowance is not payable to those on JSB. Mine ran out in May and i went onto JSA, i was notified about 6 weeks ago that i may be entitled to fuel allowance, completed the form and it was paid for the past two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

I'm on BTEA and I applied few weeks ago for fuel allowance, do they send a letter stating if you get it or not?

thnks

Hi
    I never got a letter, just started getting it with my jsa payment.
    When I collect it in the PO its itemised on the receipt thingy they give you.

Fran

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

I'm on BTEA and I got the fuel allowance added automatically to my weekly payments as I was receiving it last year.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Agreed, I was also confused about how two payments were being given, particularly as the contributor is living alone. Fuel allowance is not payable to those on JSB. Mine ran out in May and i went onto JSA, i was notified about 6 weeks ago that i may be entitled to fuel allowance, completed the form and it was paid for the past two weeks.
    Supplimenry Welfare can be rent/motgage allowance, which you can get with JSB and JSA hence the two payments as the Sup Welfare is means tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

There was a bit of a row last week between Gormley and Lenihan over the 11% increase promised to offset fuel rises due to the carbon tax. Seems like Gormley has won the battle, and says it will be paid, but he's not very forthcoming about who exactly will get the increase. Word is the increase may be paid to pensioners only.
    Tuesday October 12 2010

GREEN Party ministers last night claimed that they had secured increases in the fuel allowance that would compensate the elderly for the rising cost of heating their homes.

Leader John Gormley previously pledged an 11pc increase in the fuel allowance to ensure that social welfare recipients would not be impacted by the new carbon levy.

Last night, he insisted there would be compensation for those on social welfare to offset the rising costs of home heating fuels as winter begins.

But he refused to say how much would be provided or if the figure of 11pc still stood as negotiations were continuing at cabinet level and with the Department of Finance.

It is understood that Finance Minister Brian Lenihan recently argued against increasing the fuel allowance at a time when the Government was preparing for savage cutbacks elsewhere.

But when asked last night if there would be compensation for the elderly, Mr Gormley said: "Absolutely, there will."

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/greens-guarantee-fuel-allowance-rise-2374780.html

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭seabre

Hi All

We applied for Fuel Allowance for the first time this year, I had been watching this thread and when I saw people rec theirs in late Sept I assumed we didn't qualify. My husband went to collect his JSA on Fri and low and behold there was an extra 20 for fuel. Question now is will it be backdated to Sept or will we have to call the dsw about that. Don't understand why some would be getting it since Sept and we only get it now?

• Advertisement

seabre wrote: »
    Hi All

We applied for Fuel Allowance for the first time this year, I had been watching this thread and when I saw people rec theirs in late Sept I assumed we didn't qualify. My husband went to collect his JSA on Fri and low and behold there was an extra 20 for fuel. Question now is will it be backdated to Sept or will we have to call the dsw about that. Don't understand why some would be getting it since Sept and we only get it now?

I am unsure wether this allowance is back dated as its a specific payment for a specific period, if it was being backdated, i would assume you would have got these payments with your first payment. Perhaps you might have missed out on the first month because you did not apply on time? no harm to check with the DSW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gaudy

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I am unsure wether this allowance is back dated as its a specific payment for a specific period, if it was being backdated, i would assume you would have got these payments with your first payment. Perhaps you might have missed out on the first month because you did not apply on time? no harm to check with the DSW

want to apply for fuel allowance,will i get the form of the social welfare office?
    Check with the DSW??whats the DSW

gaudy wrote: »
    want to apply for fuel allowance,will i get the form of the social welfare office?
    Check with the DSW??whats the DSW

DSW (sorry, easier than typing Department of social welfare or whatever its called these days), forms are available to download or could be got at a social welfare office or citizens information bureau, before you do remember its only available to those on long term unemployment JSA, only one person in each residence can claim it and there are other conditions.

My understanding is the department usually notify you prior to the payment periods if you are entitled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

Im just wondering would anyone know If Id qualify for this, dont want to look like an eejit going into social welfare office for them to say no.
    Been unemployed since jan 2009, exhausted JSB in september this year, was on BTEA from sept 09 til june 09 and now on JSA. Husband isnt working either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Advertisement

Trish2007 wrote: »
    Im just wondering would anyone know If Id qualify for this, dont want to look like an eejit going into social welfare office for them to say no.
    Been unemployed since jan 2009, exhausted JSB in september this year, was on BTEA from sept 09 til june 09 and now on JSA. Husband isnt working either.

Yes by the sounds of it you should qualify, remember only one person can claim per household, get your skates on, its not much but every little helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

I laughed when I opened the letter containing this application form the other day. The social welfare sent it to me. I'd never heard of it before. I thought it sounded funny. How do ya save a bankrupt country? Cheese and briquettes.

Anyway, I've been reading up on it (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/extra_social_welfare_benefits/smokeless_fuel_allowance.html) and it just made me laugh further, specifically this point:
    • You will not qualify for a Smokeless Fuel Allowance if you and members of your household have a combined income of more than €100 per week

So €100 income between an entire household is considered too much to be considered for smokeless fuel allowance? Does that seem very bizarre to anyone else? What household in the country has an income of less than €100 per week anyway? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Read the full sentence...it's above the max benefit rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

snubbleste wrote: »
    Read the full sentence...it's above the max benefit rate

Oh I see. Well the sentence lacks appropriate punctuation, i.e. commas, so was pretty much open to interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

i applied for fuel allowance in sept, in Oct got a form to fill out confirming my details etc...

It is now november, i rang my local SWO on Monday and the lady who is dealing with Fuel Allowance told me ''she had not got around to looking at it'' :mad:

I am hoping it will be there this Thursday i my bank a/c... :(

Does anyone know if it is backdated from when i sent the form in September??

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 luckyirish

I think if you're on job-seekers you have to be long term unemployed over 15 months before you can apply. It was 20 euro/wk but after the Gorm's new carbon tax came in it was said that allowance would be made for this increase in the fuel allowance ...however have heard nothing about this since (why am I not surprised!)
    yes you have to be on job seekers 15 months to qualify for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 luckyirish

i applied for fuel allowance in sept, in Oct got a form to fill out confirming my details etc...

It is now november, i rang my local SWO on Monday and the lady who is dealing with Fuel Allowance told me ''she had not got around to looking at it'' :mad:

I am hoping it will be there this Thursday i my bank a/c... :(

Does anyone know if it is backdated from when i sent the form in September??

thanks

i applied fo mine at the beginning of October and got it Monday with arrears in i think its backdated from the time you apply it runs from 30 September

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Just a quick question - My fuel allowance was cut off.. Their reason: I am on illness .

Im really not being smart but this makes no sense. Their officer put me on it & then they removed it after a year.Letter simply said: you are being removed as you are in receipt of illness benefit. Surely ill people need heat like everyone else. I asked my CWO & she said sorry not her area. Maybe someone may explain. Bit of knock having income reduced by aprox €90 a month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It makes a lot of sense.
    Check out the eligibilty criteria for fuel allowance on www.welfare.ie

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I applied for FA at the start of October.

No sign of it and nothing back from the department. I dropped the form in by hand and the lady took it off me.

I hoenstly don't have the cheek to ring up or go in given the state of the country.

So some people were waiting over a month?

• Advertisement
Advertisement