Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuerteventura.. Anyone surfed there?

Options
  • 09-09-2010 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Heading to Corralejo in Fuerteventura in October. Has anyone been there surfing? Any recommendations for surf rental, spots etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Yea was there with the misses so didn’t get to surf to much, there a few breaks there, one behind the harbour a point break to the south all reef.

There’s no beach break that I saw but look around or check on line. There more spots to the north and on the west coast where you will find some beach breaks. Don’t thinks it’s a good spot for beginners.

As for renting boards there’s loads of places but bring two forms of ID as they may want to keep one and you’ll need your pass port and license to rent a car.

There’s two good bars there one with an old van in the bar that does good music, it’s up a side street might be called rock island and then one called Imagine where a Dutch guy plays all kinds of stuff – he’s nuts in a good way and it’s a good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I'm just back from Corallejo and was hoping to go surfing each day but the swell was very small. The break by the harbour looked so dangerous that I wondered how anyone would be mad enough to brave those rocks.
    There are beaches out the coast a little bit(you'll pass these on the way from the airport) but you'll need to either hire a car or get a bus. There are loads of places to hire boards and buy gear. I think I went into about 5 different surf shops.
    I think all the main surfing is on the south-west of the island, which is complete opposite to where you will be staying unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

The north west shore is where the surf is.

Go into the surf shops in Corralejo and ask where the spots are around Cotillo. Cotillo is about 45 mins drive west, (go south, then west as the route directly west is a dirt track).

My advice is take a lesson from one of the crowds in Corralejo, they will take you out west and sort all your stuff etc. Theres a beach break south of cotillo thats suitable for beginners that they take people for lessons. Cotillo is no more than a village at best so don't go straight there expecting shops galore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AntHraxEater

I surfed in Fuerteventura about 4 years ago, went out with Homegrown surf school and had a great time. If you just want to rent gear they'll do that too. The regular spots are playa cotillo, playa esquinzo, playa de las mujeres, playa tubaderas, playa morro & playa blanca. They use 4x4s but at least some beaches are accessible by car.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

dermo909 wrote: »
    I think all the main surfing is on the south-west of the island, which is complete opposite to where you will be staying unfortunately.

There is actually a pretty cool beach down the south west in Cofete, but its a long drive and you have to cross a pretty hairy mountain pass. Nice beach for surfing though, stunning views and there's even a villa there which was apparently used by the Nazi spies during the second world war which is worth a visit.

Although if its surfing you're after just get the ferry to Lobos in the mornings from Corralejo, cracking wave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Flat Foot

Ditto on Homegrown Surf School, used 'em last august for a day and found them great.Went to the west side of the island and had a great day (beach-break) but they cater for all levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Homegrown gets my recommendation aswell. Say hi to Oskar the skate-boarder who is a surf instructor with them. He is a righteous dude.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 nickbok

Fuerte is great craic and correlejo is grand place to base yourself. If you're not bringing your own boards prob best to go with homegrown or 7islandssurf. You'll need a car to head off along the north shore dirt track where most the spots are. Majanicho was going off when we were there :) cotillo can have some savage take offs too and be carefull at esquinza our car got broken into and all our money taken, its off the beaten track with no one around. We only found out while getting a capuccino in italian place by cottillo village. Have to check that out, was a redeming factor. Best capuccino ever had in my life!! yumm...

We stayed in Erica apts, cheap and chearful. Was meant to be reefs right in front but weren't really catching the swelll. Was a reef bit of a walk down to the right that was small bujt seriously good fun after the flight and in need of a quick fix. Will def be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

Just an update from Fuerteventura. Headed out with two schools on a couple of different days. Homegrown gets my recommendation. Good guys, really helpful, got exactly the help what I needed for my level (major help required getting out the back). The other bunch were flag beach, and I just rented off them and headed out to Cotillo with the beginner class. Cowboys, is the only way to describe them. I spoke to four of the class, and they had paid nearly 200 notes for a week of lessons, and they hadn't even stood up after three days:eek:. Not really surprising when one of the coaches was sitting on the beach and the other was catching some very nice green waves for himself, while the class sat in the whitewater with little or no help... Avoid these lads at all cost. All in all, I would recommend Fuerteventura for a chilled out surfing holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

I arrived back last Saturday after a week's lessons surfing in Fuerte with Homegrown. For 9 nights in the hostel (great craic) and 7 days surf lessons (Gregor and Leira being the better of the instructors I had), that cost me €420 with airport transfer thrown in. Great value.

Cotillo was the best spot we went to, tough for beginners but great learning experience for knocking the fear out of ya! And the bakery they stop at in Lajares is a perfect post-surfing pit-stop.

So yea for a cheap (tequila €1.50 at the Buena Onda bar!) surfing holiday with good weather and good waves, you can't go too far wrong with Fuerte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 mrbirl

Hey,

There's a handy section on <snip> for surfing travel advice. Someone going to morocco put something up the last day and got good feedback, might be worth sticking something up there if anyones looking for more travel info! Pretty helpful surfer feedback there
    <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

mrbirl wrote: »
    Hey,

There's a handy section on <snip> for surfing travel advice. Someone going to morocco put something up the last day and got good feedback, might be worth sticking something up there if anyones looking for more travel info! Pretty helpful surfer feedback there
    <snip>

Please do not post here just to shill the same website over and over. See the Charter for details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 timthesurfer

whats with the snipping? was interested to hear what that link was!

Advertisement