Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear WGR613VAL

• 09-09-2010 9:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi,

Im on a 30Meg connection but when I connect through the netgear router Im only getting about 22Meg. Is it normal to loose so much BW ?

Would a better router stop this loss or is that to be expected ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

Hi,

Im on a 30Meg connection but when I connect through the netgear router Im only getting about 22Meg. Is it normal to loose so much BW ?

Would a better router stop this loss or is that to be expected ?

Depends how far awayfrom the router you are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭LostInDharma

I'm wired directly to it. Use the router for my VOIP connection, so need to feed from my cable modem to router then router to PC (wired).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

no, not normal, but that's the free router that UPC used to provide before they started giving out the cisco all-in-one isn't it?

i gave mine away (still shrink wrapped) to someone who didn't get one and was just connecting the mode directly to his PC, because i'd heard they weren't great and i was already using a Linksys WRT54GS which i've had (and loved) for about 8 years.

when my connection is up to it i can get the full 30mbps thru the router and that's actually coming from my modem, to the router, then thru 20m of ethernet cable (running outside my house) to a switch, then to my PC.

946426295.png

there's either something wrong somewhere (maybe a bad cable or connection, or on the router?), or your router is just not up to the job. i doubt you'll get any joy from UPC tho either way, they'll probably just try and swap you out for the newer cisco EPC2425 which is pants and will cause more problems than it solves (if any).

i'd recommend the same router i have if it wasn't for the impending 100mbps upgrades just round the corner and having heard (on the linksysinfo.org forums) that the WAN port on the WRT54G range of routers tops out at around 35mbps, although i'm not going to buy a new one till after the upgrades just in case they were wrong. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭LostInDharma

vibe666 wrote: »
    no, not normal, but that's the free router that UPC used to provide before they started giving out the cisco all-in-one isn't it?

i gave mine away (still shrink wrapped) to someone who didn't get one and was just connecting the mode directly to his PC, because i'd heard they weren't great and i was already using a Linksys WRT54GS which i've had (and loved) for about 8 years.

when my connection is up to it i can get the full 30mbps thru the router and that's actually coming from my modem, to the router, then thru 20m of ethernet cable (running outside my house) to a switch, then to my PC.

946426295.png

there's either something wrong somewhere (maybe a bad cable or connection, or on the router?), or your router is just not up to the job. i doubt you'll get any joy from UPC tho either way, they'll probably just try and swap you out for the newer cisco EPC2425 which is pants and will cause more problems than it solves (if any).

i'd recommend the same router i have if it wasn't for the impending 100mbps upgrades just round the corner and having heard (on the linksysinfo.org forums) that the WAN port on the WRT54G range of routers tops out at around 35mbps, although i'm not going to buy a new one till after the upgrades just in case they were wrong. :)

Im fairly sure its not cable related as I swapped them around, so must be router. I'll check out a new one, thanks !

Ya I'd try another router first before you do anything else. Maybe borrow one and try it before you go off spending.

• Advertisement

Im fairly sure its not cable related as I swapped them around, so must be router. I'll check out a new one, thanks !
    just remember to get one with gigabit WAN & LAN ports and you should be grand, altho personally, I'll be getting one that's compatible with 3rd party firmware like DDWRT, OpenWRT or Tomato as they (generally) offer extra functions, customisation & reliability over the stock firmwares.

at the moment I'm leaning towards either the Linksys WRT610 or the Asus RT-N16, but i'm kinda waiting to see what happens with the 100mbps upgrades first to see what the 30mbps users actually get it anything and also to see if the currently available 3rd party firmwares for these relatively new routers becomes more stable.

just remember to get one with gigabit WAN & LAN ports and you should be grand, altho personally, I'll be getting one that's compatible with 3rd party firmware like DDWRT, OpenWRT or Tomato as they (generally) offer extra functions, customisation & reliability over the stock firmwares.

at the moment I'm leaning towards either the Linksys WRT610 or the Asus RT-N16, but i'm kinda waiting to see what happens with the 100mbps upgrades first to see what the 30mbps users actually get it anything and also to see if the currently available 3rd party firmwares for these relatively new routers becomes more stable.

The Linksys WRT320n dual band looks like a good router and has gigabit ports and is DD-WRT compatible. Its on offer at the moment in www.Komplett.ie for €80.

The Linksys WRT320n dual band looks like a good router and has gigabit ports and is DD-WRT compatible. Its on offer at the moment in www.Komplett.ie for €80.
    the WRT320n is fine if you have all N devices, but (from what I've read about it) although it's dual band you can only use one or the other at any one time, which is where the WRT610n beats it.

unfortunately you just can't have it all just yet. pretty much every router i've looked at to replace my wrt54gs has a flaw in it somewhere that has stopped me actually biting the bullet and buying one. :(

the WRT320n is fine if you have all N devices, but (from what I've read about it) although it's dual band you can only use one or the other at any one time, which is where the WRT610n beats it.

unfortunately you just can't have it all just yet. pretty much every router i've looked at to replace my wrt54gs has a flaw in it somewhere that has stopped me actually biting the bullet and buying one. :(

Ya but the 610 is twice the price!!!!

Ya but the 610 is twice the price!!!!
    until you factor in having to fork out for wireless N cards/dongles for all your existing wireless G equipment to upgrade them to wireless N at the same time, assuming that it's going to be at least 3 devices AND that you don't have any xbox's, ps3's, wii's or mobile phone's which are very likely to have internal wireless G only interfaces and not wireless N compatible. :)

with the 610, you can buy the router and then phase in your upgrade to wireless N to the most important devices first to spread the cost and keep any wireless G only devices at the same time.

• Advertisement

until you factor in having to fork out for wireless N cards/dongles for all your existing wireless G equipment to upgrade them to wireless N at the same time, assuming that it's going to be at least 3 devices AND that you don't have any xbox's, ps3's, wii's or mobile phone's which are very likely to have internal wireless G only interfaces and not wireless N compatible. :)

with the 610, you can buy the router and then phase in your upgrade to wireless N to the most important devices first to spread the cost and keep any wireless G only devices at the same time.

Ahhh....so if i am surfing with a wireless N card in my laptop, my xbox live wont work at the same time?

Ahhh....so if i am surfing with a wireless N card in my laptop, my xbox live wont work at the same time?
    basically yes, if you have the wrt320n, from what i've read about it. i'm not even sure if it's as simple as turning off wireless N devices and then turning on wireless G, there may not be a was of automatically switching.

it's not a solution on it's own anyway, unless you plan on using wireless N only which most people won't be. you could still keep wireless G on the cisco to cater for older wireless devices, but the whole point is to remove that from the equation, so it would almost be a step backwards.

Advertisement