Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

heating the gym

• 09-09-2010 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Folks for those of you that have warehouses as gyms, how do you heat them in the winter time

electric, gas where did you get your heaters etc etc

need to kit my place out for the winter months

thanks paddy

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭DTB

50 or 60 burpees should do the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Haven't seen your place yet Paddy but if there is a roller shutter door, cladding etc, then its not honestly worth trying to heat it cause it will just disappear through all the gaps. I've tried Nightsaver storage heaters and various types of electric heaters and they don't really work and put your electricity bill through the ceiling.

The only thing that gave reasonable heat for a while was one of those gas blow heaters like you used to get in Nightclubs (if you've ever been to a place like that:)). Might be worth hiring it first and see how it works out and then a lot of hire companies will do you a deal for purchasing it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JohnMac93

I would find a gym that's on the colder side to be better, once you get in to training or working out it could increase performance.

I have a 'dimplex' heater that works great for keeping rooms warm. Depending on the size and how much of a draft there is it should work fine for ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

JohnMac93 wrote: »
    I would find a gym that's on the colder side to be better, once you get in to training or working out it could increase performance.

I have a 'dimplex' heater that works great for keeping rooms warm. Depending on the size and how much of a draft there is it should work fine for ye.

That's ok for those training, but when you're coaching it's a different story trying to stay warm :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just a thought, but I wouldn't heat a Gym using gas or anything that burnt up a lot of oxygen. I know I'm already gasping in a strenuous session without having to compete for the air!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

yomchi wrote: »
    That's ok for those training, but when you're coaching it's a different story trying to stay warm :eek:

fleece dobok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Bambi wrote: »
    fleece dobok?

Check. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 rickylouth

30,000 btu space heater running on propane, cost around 130 euro sealy brand not top of the range.

cylinder of gas 95 euro get about 2 weeks using in 2 hrs a day there or there abouts.

worth every cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭lil-evil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thought there'd be enough hot air in your gym to keep the place warm there Paddy. ;)

Wah wah wah.... :D

(All credit goes to Naoise for that one) ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭black dragon

I've a propane heater in my gym and I find it useful to take the sting out of the air but as the gym is over 5000 sq feet I could probably use another one - however I might just make the f*****s skip faster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 joshuajames

try crosshire.ie they have a range of heating options. for patio heater rental try caterhire.ie or hireall.ie they also do some fan heaters for the like of marquees.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bannermaf

We tried for years with electric heaters, blowers, hallogen heaters, etc...but nothing really helped enough and the bills were enormous! Finally invested in an industrial heater, a HUGE monster that runs on diesel and has the place (over 5,000 square feet) cozy within 30 minutes. It cost about 1800, but well worth it in the end, rather than continuously throwing electricity "out of the window". Check your local Hire Shop for industrial heaters. You can hire them just for the winter months, or buy one outrite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭chprt

bannermaf

Have you got any pics of the heater your talking about, and where did you get yours from as I am quite often down in co clare..

thanks for the advice

paddy

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bannermaf

http://www.crosshire.ie/heaters/products/giza.html

This is a differenty model, but the same type of a mchine that we've got.
    We got ours at Clare Hire, but I think most of the hire places would have them.
    We rented it first to make sure it was worth it, and then we bought it.

Definately worth the investment.

Good luck!

Advertisement