Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preserving Top Fruit indeed any kind fruit

Options
  • 09-09-2010 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Preserving Top Fruit indeed any kind of fruit ...
    How do you save your bounty?
    Have loads of plums what would you do with the extra fruit ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheFatMan

Hi Jezko

you have to learn to make jams and preserves.
    Jam is easy get a bottle of CERTO liquid pectin from Tescos or a local shop and follow the instructions on the side. Great for days that are too wet to get into the garden. I get orders for my Jam from extended family now every year.

I freeze a good bit of the fruit too for use later in pies, tarts and cakes. Or for sauces for Ice cream. Some prep may be needed to insure the fruit freezes properly, but berries of all sorts are straight forward

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Jam is made already, but we found it very runny (First Year making it with plums) ... Was told to keep the stones in the Jam and strain them out at Potting...Will try more Pectin next time...
    As a matter of Interest what do you think of Apples with Plums... Would they Go well???

Load's of Bramley's this Year!!

Some Plum's already in Freezer... (But this is filled now with Soft fruits)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheFatMan

Hi Jezko

have you thought of long storage of the apples? If wrapped individually and stored in newspaper they can last a few months in a cool dark and very dry place. Only problem is finding the room. Saw them do it on Gardeners world last year there was a knacky little way to fold the newspaper so it made individual cells for each apple to sit it.

As for apple and plum jam its worth a go. Or plum and ginger.

Otherwise you have the same storage issues I have. Need to get a bigger freezer. Or friends with big appetites.

Advertisement