Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doormen.Public servants or neanderthals??

Options
  • 09-09-2010 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

While recently out in Galway my friends and myself where enjoyin a few drinks in a very well known and popular watering house in the city.

The evening was going very well but unfortunately my slush fund ran dry so I needed replenish it ASAP.The bar was very busy,so been a barman myself I didnt want to inconvenience the staff by going through the whole rigmarole of asking for cash back cause I know its time consuming especially when you have a bar of customers screaming for booze.

Anyway,I decided to go to the ATM and get more beer tokens.As I tryed to re-enter the premises,the door man stopped me and said I was not getting in because I was to drunk.I tryed to jog his memory and give him all the facts that I had just left to get money and my friends where all inside but he didnt want to know.And to add insult to injury as I was standing there,he was letting people in who where obviously a bit worse for wear.Luckily my friends where sitting close to the door so I could ask them for my jacket which had my mobile,keys etc...

My friends also tryed to reason with the door man but to no avail.So unfortunately to the owner we all left and wont be going back all because of one person been so small minded,arrogant and really taking the power of his position to the extreme.

As I stated before,I work in the industry and there is nothing worse than dealing with very drunk customers and what comes with that but sober, coherent people(which my friends and I were)make a tough job that little bit more pleasurable.So if the doorman of this premises turns away sober people and lets in drunks,I pity the staff and the owner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You have one incident when he said you're too drunk, does that mean you think they are Neanderthals?
    Go back again today and speak to the manager? No offence but venting here won't accomplish much, except that you get to vent.
    Btw, there is an thread here about local bouncers. Many think they are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

An establishment on Dominick St perchance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

tl;dr

Your thread title presents a false dichotomy, one needn't be a public servant to not be declared a Neanderthal. Doormen are private employees of an establishment, paid to ensure the rules of the establishment are maintained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭McDougal

Most of them are potential Raoul Moats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

They can have many reasons for not letting you in, such as the place being busy and they may pick and choose to only let the beautiful people in! They may really think you are too drunk and while others appear to be more drunk than you, they may be also more beautiful or more recognisable then you! Plus it's easier to stop a lone person than a crowd. Also, they may be just prix!

• Advertisement

I'm guessing Bridge Street!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OP: say to the bouncer that you're going to the drinklink to get more moeny. When you come back, he'll let you in. They always do. Otherwise he'll think you're just chancing your arm.

Chancing your arm! Trying to go into a pub(lic house)!

444-DELBOYakaSteveRooney.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭telepylus

I find most of the bouncers in Galway to be grand enough. Have had to deal with way worse bouncers elsewhere to be honest. What happened the OP is fairly common enough, happened to me before. You aren't going to get anywhere with reasoning with bouncers, better off to just let it go, and get someone to drop your things out of the pub to you.

On another note, has anyone had really bad experiences with some barstaff in Galway? Have been here about a year, and most barstaff are grand to sound, but have gotten some really ignorant staff before! being really hostile, or making really rude/obnoxious comments/attitudes, and one guy just completely ignored me for no reason. It was in two pubs in the dominick street area, that I won't be going to again cos of it. Just curious have other people had these experiences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 a.nidhomhnaill1

telepylus wrote: »
    I find most of the bouncers in Galway to be grand enough. Have had to deal with way worse bouncers elsewhere to be honest. What happened the OP is fairly common enough, happened to me before. You aren't going to get anywhere with reasoning with bouncers, better off to just let it go, and get someone to drop your things out of the pub to you.

On another note, has anyone had really bad experiences with some barstaff in Galway? Have been here about a year, and most barstaff are grand to sound, but have gotten some really ignorant staff before! being really hostile, or making really rude/obnoxious comments/attitudes, and one guy just completely ignored me for no reason. It was in two pubs in the dominick street area, that I won't be going to again cos of it. Just curious have other people had these experiences?

oooh where....find most pubs down the west to be the most laid back???? confusion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

I agree with OP some of the bouncers are on a power trip. Which is a little sad, as a monkey could do their job !!!!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Neanderthals for the most part.

GPO has some new faces, all looking to earn their stripes. One of them followed me around on Monday night telling me I had to put my hoody in the cloak room (was one of about 8 people in the club at this time). Aye whatever mate, jog on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

telepylus wrote: »

Yup, but it's not unique to Galway. I've always put it down to being female, short and not into getting tarted up to go out. Maybe you're just getting older? (half :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

GPO has some new faces, all looking to earn their stripes. One of them followed me around on Monday night telling me I had to put my hoody in the cloak room (was one of about 8 people in the club at this time). Aye whatever mate, jog on.
    They let people in now wearing hoodys, was a Not tonight offence a while back!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

gmm156 wrote: »
    my slush fund ran dry so I needed replenish it ASAP

You're drinking too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Use your laser card the next time buddy.

I got caught out once before outside a large Bar in Eyre Square. I think I was getting something in the shop next door and on my way back in I got stopped.

Never bought another (bad) pint in that Inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Nuigforce

They let people in now wearing hoodys, was a Not tonight offence a while back!
    This is gpo were talking about.. the were probably just thankful there was noone carrying a machete

I guess the most people having issues with bouncers are between 18 and 23, go to GPO and CPs, enjoy Vodka Redbull and hating authority figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

If the bouncer said the OP was too drunk then chances are they were. I've gone to the atm many a time without even having to tell the bouncer where I'm going and managed to get back in without the slightest hassle. OP must have been displaying at least a few signs that they had too much to drink, because lets face it bouncers are not told to turn away paying customers for the lolz.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuctifino

biko wrote: »
    I guess the most people having issues with bouncers are between 18 and 23, go to GPO and CPs, enjoy Vodka Redbull and hating authority figures.
    Wow. Someone had no friends between 18-23

Well that's how I was at that age. Then I worked as a bouncer myself for a while and got to see what it's like on the other side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Fuctifino wrote: »
    Wow. Someone had no friends between 18-23

Or just no friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

i would make more quay street

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

irish man spends all his money in a pub and claims not to be drunk.

i rest my case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

biko wrote: »
    No, I'll differ with you there some of them are just tossers. When they are telling people that don't even drink and don't have the trouble maker look they are too drunk to come in they have got it wrong.

I have seen it happen on many occasions in many different places, they seem to change their attitudes like a Finance minister with an Anglo bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

The only time I've ever had issues with bouncers (in Galway or elsewhere) was when I was either underage or a drunken student.

Now that I'm at an age where my usual Friday/Sturday night state is happy out as oppose to drunkness mess, I don't have a problem.

Haven't been refused entry or questioned by bouncers in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I've never had any problems with the bouncers in Galway in general. 99.9% have been sound to me, as I don't cause trouble.
    Although saying that, for the sake of old times I recently visited the GPO one night (I would be 10-12 years older than their target audience) and the lads were openly hostile at the door - but let me in all the same. Which I though was pretty strange as they didn't mention anything about not coming in or being too drunk....I think they were just knobs.

Everywhere else though not an issue for me. Loads of them are dead on.
    Most of my dealings with them are a friendly hello, followed by a goodbye later on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭theintern

They can be fierce unpredictable though, that's the problem. A few years ago a few friends and I were well on our way and walked into a club no problem, quick look at the ID and away you go. In retrospect, I wouldn't have let me in.

Then one of the guys who hasn't had a sup gets stopped and grilled for 4 or 5 minutes about his age, college course, college course subjects and all manner of stuff, before being refused.

This actually happeded several times, to a couple of lads who didn't drink. It was mind boggling.

Bouncers think they're able to judge categorically who is and is not drunk when in reality it's an educated guess at best. If they make a mistake, there's no reasoning or talking to them like rational human beings. It's infuriating when you're far from drunk but because the bouncer doesn't like the look of you, thats it, you have to inconvienience your firends and look like an eejit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

theintern wrote: »
    They can be fierce unpredictable though, that's the problem. A few years ago a few friends and I were well on our way and walked into a club no problem, quick look at the ID and away you go. In retrospect, I wouldn't have let me in.

Then one of the guys who hasn't had a sup gets stopped and grilled for 4 or 5 minutes about his age, college course, college course subjects and all manner of stuff, before being refused.

This actually happeded several times, to a couple of lads who didn't drink. It was mind boggling.

Bouncers think they're able to judge categorically who is and is not drunk when in reality it's an educated guess at best. If they make a mistake, there's no reasoning or talking to them like rational human beings. It's infuriating when you're far from drunk but because the bouncer doesn't like the look of you, thats it, you have to inconvienience your firends and look like an eejit.

Well said. It's the unpredicatability that infuriates me, last night being an example... me, my girlfriend and her friend decided to go to The Bleeding Horse for one or two as we were in the vicinity (wouldn't really go there at all) I had two drinks prior to approaching the door and the lord of a doorman decided I was too drunk - "Too much on board" were the words. What's that about? On board? I'm not a ship.
    I barely remonstrated to be honest. If they decide then that's pretty much it. I don't really get it. He really didn't have any reason to deny me access. People were inconvenienced etc. so we went on our way. It's piss poor but for the people who attempt reasoning with them there's no point. No wonder they get a bad name when the thought process behind their job is often dictated by random decisions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement