Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone doing/done computing level 7?

• 09-09-2010 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Whats it like?I heard the common year is very boring because it is very easy?But that could just be bull;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

It all depends on your level of technical ability really.

When I started I was 23 and had already done a bit of programming and had used computers a lot so I knew the basics in programming and databases and some other subjects such as computer architecture as well as knew my way around a pc with windows and unix/linux.

Now when I say basics I really mean the basics, I still learned a lot in first year in all the subjects but I found it easier than others to learn and was usually finished quicker.

Some of the the stuff was very basic and boring but I just got it done quick and then I could leave or stay and help others that were struggling, you learn a lot from helping and being helped by fellow class mates.

The best thing about the common year is it gives you a flavour of all aspects of computing, and also that a lot of groups get mixed in with each other in different classes making it easier to make new friends and get to know people.

With it being easy I also found more time to have a pint or two in the bar when I got out of a class early :D

However there is still a good bit of hard work involved, you get a good few assignments and group projects, presentations to keep you busy.

So apart from some of the earlier classes teaching some overally basic stuff, even if your technically very good and find some aspects easy, I dont think the year itself can be described as boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hdaniel

draffodx wrote: »
    It all depends on your level of technical ability really.

When I started I was 23 and had already done a bit of programming and had used computers a lot so I knew the basics in programming and databases and some other subjects such as computer architecture as well as knew my way around a pc with windows and unix/linux.

Now when I say basics I really mean the basics, I still learned a lot in first year in all the subjects but I found it easier than others to learn and was usually finished quicker.

Some of the the stuff was very basic and boring but I just got it done quick and then I could leave or stay and help others that were struggling, you learn a lot from helping and being helped by fellow class mates.

The best thing about the common year is it gives you a flavour of all aspects of computing, and also that a lot of groups get mixed in with each other in different classes making it easier to make new friends and get to know people.

With it being easy I also found more time to have a pint or two in the bar when I got out of a class early :D

However there is still a good bit of hard work involved, you get a good few assignments and group projects, presentations to keep you busy.

So apart from some of the earlier classes teaching some overally basic stuff, even if your technically very good and find some aspects easy, I dont think the year itself can be described as boring.
    Great answer thanks:)
    did you take on the extra year for the better certification?
    also i see i have a study and learning skills class,i presume the only thing its useful for a nice chat:pac:

hdaniel wrote: »
    Great answer thanks:)
    did you take on the extra year for the better certification?
    also i see i have a study and learning skills class,i presume the only thing its useful for a nice chat:pac:

Yeh I did, the Level 8 is a minimum if you want to do software development to be honest. I tried to get a job with my level 7 and had very little joy.

Working as a software engineer on mobile devices now for 10 months :D

Everyone in first year hates study and learning skills and it always has the lowest attendance but I made sure to go as much as possible anyway, its very much group based where everyone is involved and gives their opinion on where they want to be in 5 years and the positive and negative aspects of their study, motivation, social skills etc...

You also have a group project to do which can be good craic if you pick something interesting to do it on (think its in the 2nd semester)

Yeh I did, the Level 8 is a minimum if you want to do software development to be honest. I tried to get a job with my level 7 and had very little joy.

Working as a software engineer on mobile devices now for 10 months :D

Everyone in first year hates study and learning skills and it always has the lowest attendance but I made sure to go as much as possible anyway, its very much group based where everyone is involved and gives their opinion on where they want to be in 5 years and the positive and negative aspects of their study, motivation, social skills etc...

You also have a group project to do which can be good craic if you pick something interesting to do it on (think its in the 2nd semester)

and is there any learning curve jumping to the level 8?
    I imagine the people doing the level 8 would have been learning the stuff a slightly different/advanced way to you?
    Hm well depending where it is on the timetable i may go:p

and is there any learning curve jumping to the level 8?
    I imagine the people doing the level 8 would have been learning the stuff a slightly different/advanced way to you?
    Hm well depending where it is on the timetable i may go:p

No, doing a Level 7 and adding on Level 8 is the exact same as doing the Level 8 straight up.

Its just you have the choice to stop after 3 years with the Level 7 if you wish :D

Haha to be honest I skipped study and learning skills a few times on a Thursday evening when the bar was more appealing :D

Just make sure to keep up with the work, and not to miss loads of classes, people drop out because they miss class and fail to keep up with the work load, not because its too hard for them.

• Advertisement

No, doing a Level 7 and adding on Level 8 is the exact same as doing the Level 8 straight up.

Its just you have the choice to stop after 3 years with the Level 7 if you wish :D

Haha to be honest I skipped study and learning skills a few times on a Thursday evening when the bar was more appealing :D

Just make sure to keep up with the work, and not to miss loads of classes, people drop out because they miss class and fail to keep up with the work load, not because its too hard for them.
    Great:)
    Will defenitaly love to stay on for the extra year:)
    lucky you im onl 17 and wont be 18 till the end of the 2nd semester:(

Yeah think il actually be more inclined to go to class since doing sumthing i enjoy and what not?

How was finding a job with ur level 8?
    I hear a big problem is many want vast experience,where u told that alot?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭stooodent

Yeah think il actually be more inclined to go to class since doing sumthing i enjoy and what not?

holy **** I feel old im starting this coarse in a bit too im 21 be glad your 17 you can have your BA by the time your twenty!

Going to the classes you enjoy is the easy bit though, there will be classes you wont like, classes you dont se the point and classes that wont interest you, and classes that you'll feel dont belong on the course, forcing yourself to go to them is the hard part!

Finding a job was hard work, I had plenty of interviews with not much success, and some jobs had totally unrealistic expectations for a graduate position.

But just keep looking and applying for anything even looking for 1 - 2 years experience and eventually got a job in December.
    stooodent wrote: »
    holy **** I feel old im starting this coarse in a bit too im 21 be glad your 17 you can have your BA by the time your twenty!

Hey! I was 23 when I started!

stooodent wrote: »
    I suppose ur right:)i guess il see you at registration 2mrw;)
    Going to the classes you enjoy is the easy bit though, there will be classes you wont like, classes you dont se the point and classes that wont interest you, and classes that you'll feel dont belong on the course, forcing yourself to go to them is the hard part!

Finding a job was hard work, I had plenty of interviews with not much success, and some jobs had totally unrealistic expectations for a graduate position.

But just keep looking and applying for anything even looking for 1 - 2 years experience and eventually got a job in December.

Hey! I was 23 when I started!
    Great advice thanks:)
    anytin else helpful i should know before i start the course?:P

Advertisement